Knowing When to Leave The Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing When to Leave The Industry

For those of you that left the day care industry, how did you know it was time to leave? I’m pretty sure I need to leave but I’m needing some other perspectives from people like you who get the industry and what it’s like. I am just feeling tired and run down all the time at work and I don’t enjoy it like I used to. Thank you in advance.

Centers or in-home?
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      For those of you that left the day care industry, how did you know it was time to leave? I’m pretty sure I need to leave but I’m needing some other perspectives from people like you who get the industry and what it’s like. I am just feeling tired and run down all the time at work and I don’t enjoy it like I used to. Thank you in advance.
      Most that have left the industry have also left the board.
      No need or desire to continue discussing a topic the wanted away from.

Comment

Maybe you need a vacation? I got close to burn-out a couple of times. Once I termed a contract with one of my difficult kids and things improved greatly! Another time, I took a vacation and felt much better after.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo123ABC View Post
          Maybe you need a vacation? I got close to burn-out a couple of times. Once I termed a contract with one of my difficult kids and things improved greatly! Another time, I took a vacation and felt much better after.
          This exactly!
          I thought I was done myself, but all I needed was to strengthen my policies, and replace some families
          Good luck

Comment

When I was pregnant for the first time and closing in on my due date, I asked several friends how I'd know when I was in true labor. Their answer was always, "Oh, don't worry; you'll know!" Sure enough...

I think leaving the day care industry is kind of like that - you'll know when it's time for you. I've felt close to it many times but like Jo123ABC said, taking time away from the day care helped me to feel better. For me, it'll be time to leave when taking long weekends (I'm closed on Fridays for a reason!) or vacations doesn't help any more. It might be when I stop just browsing job openings online and actually update my resume instead of just thinking about it. During the COVID closure, I gathered my old resumes from my pre-day care days, all of my past job descriptions and evaluations and researched job openings in my area. There were some jobs that interested me but none enough to actually make me do the work of updating my resume and send it in. If I were truly ready to close my day care, I imagine I would have been motivated enough to actually do something about it. Good luck with your decision!

Comment

I have an interview tomorrow- complete career change.

How do I know I want to leave:
              1. I dread opening my doors in the morning.
              2. I have no desire to do activities beyond what's necessary to get through the day.
              3. I fight the urge to tell off parents nearly every day- and I do not care in the least if I hurt feelings or if they pull.

Pretty much... I've 99% checked out.

If I don't get this job, I'll pull in that 1% to soldier on for a bit longer. I'll take extra time off and hold off new enrollments until I figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowmom View Post

2. I have no desire to do activities beyond what's necessary to get through the day.
                3. I fight the urge to tell off parents nearly every day- and I do not care in the least if I hurt feelings or if they pull.

If I don't get this job, I'll pull in that 1% to soldier on for a bit longer. I'll take extra time off and hold off new enrollments until I figure it out.
                Please tell us that you are still planning on staying HERE! Like BC said...once they left the business...they left us

OP:

I can't really help you. I'm sorry

But I CAN tell you this. I have been in this business nearly 30 years (I started young). I remember getting burned out many times, only to be told that I wasn't getting burned out...I just needed a vacation. Many times it did work though happyface

That being said, I was at my former center for nearly 20 years of my career. Once I left, I realized that childcare was all that I knew of. I didn't want to go back into another center yet I had no college degree ( I was grandfathered in alot of things). So I became a private nanny.

When my former family was in the process of moving (military so I knew months prior), I was thinking I wanted another change but still in childcare. So I was applying in other centers. I wanted to go back that. I wanted "co workers"...I wanted just set hours. I didn't want to work the occasional weekend. Etc etc etc.

Long story short, I started coming back here and that changed my mind REALLY quick ::

Seriously- I just remember all that BS I had to endure while at my former center that I didn't want to go through that again. Granted alot had to do with the fact that I was also Assistant Director. But still.

Now I am a nanny to twins (again)...military (again)....boys (AGAIN!) and I love it more and more each day! lovethis

Comment

Those three things seem like good reasons to leave! What career are you going into now if you don't mind me asking?

I hope that you get the job!

Comment

Sending you good luck wishes and crossing my fingers for you but I’ll miss you terribly if you arent here any more! lovethis

Comment

I closed a bit over a month ago. In my case it was a mix of things. On one hand it was financial. I could make more money in my shop than in the daycare. Also my own kids were learning at home and I didn’t want to play one room schoolhouse in addition to childcare. But really the biggest thing was DW & I were just done. No real “f this” moment. Just a recognition it was time for a change.

Comment

Good luck on the interview. happyface:hug:

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
                          I closed a bit over a month ago. In my case it was a mix of things. On one hand it was financial. I could make more money in my shop than in the daycare. Also my own kids were learning at home and I didn’t want to play one room schoolhouse in addition to childcare. But really the biggest thing was DW & I were just done. No real “f this” moment. Just a recognition it was time for a change.
                          Happy to hear you made a good choice!
                          Also nice to see you checking in and hanging around here still

“Retired” providers are invaluable as they’ve lived and learned!

Comment

Thanks all! lovethis

If I get the job, I will likely still check in every once in awhile. It's a county job with rotating shifts (10-12 hours, 4 days/week).
                            I still plan on keeping my license active for a little while. It's too much of a benefit tax-wise to give up just yet. A couple of my clients are neighbors, so I can do an occasional weekend and possibly an hour or two here/there for after school kids.

Comment

I closed once because of the damage on my home, friction in my marriage because he had no quiet place on his days off (24/48 hr schedule), and unappreciative, demanding clients.

I went back to work out of the house for a bit. I regretted it because I only saw our kids at dinner time/weekends and it was rushed with chores, I had no time for my marriage, the house was in worse shape due to lack of daily maintenance (ironically the same problem as the marriage), and I was bringing home less money due to uniforms, fuel, and packing everyone's lunches.

I regrouped and bought a home more suited to childcare. I dropped subsidy clients, raised my rates, shortened my hours, separated the playroom from the house, beefed up my policies and enforced them consistently. I have been full and relatively content with my choice ever since. Minus the State, of course. That, however, is a ongoing problem in both of my careers, so a wash. ::

I never really liked anything about working in a center and had no ability to make change in one, so that is not an viable option for me currently.
                              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X