Late Pick-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 284878 View Post
    I'm a little confused how does a virtual lock stop human behavior?
    I think poster was just saying that how they tell the parent there is a late fee as so many have said they don't like confrontation.

I like this, I have had two different families be late this month. I always waive the first time but let them know how much it was. The other family has done this repeatedly for over a year. Dcd acts as if it is nothing that he just threw off my schedule and my kids are getting cranky. He so annoys me.

I just wanted to comment on the bolded part above

I used to think like that too but I went to a class one time about something similar and the first thing they asked us was would we be more apt to borrow a complete stranger $50 or a family member/friend? Almost everyone said never a stranger...only someone they know/trust.

Then they asked, then why waive the late fee for a "new" family when they have yet to build trust with you?
    They should "earn" that ability to have a fee waived before you ever consider doing so.

If you approach things from that perspective (borrowing money or time to a stranger) you will set a precedent as to how you run your business and new clients will know you mean business because you are a business.
    Save the "get out of jail free" cards for families who have built a trusting relationship with you.

I've never looked at my business policies the same way since...

Comment

Originally posted by CountryRoads View Post
      Thanks everyone!

She ended up being late again last night.

I texted her at 5:28 and asked if she was coming soon and reminded her that pick-up needs to be done prior to closing.

Just a side note - I would think she would feel so uncomfortable when she shows up to pick up her child, and I'm sitting outside, toys are put away, lights are off, and dck is the only one here. Right?? I know I would feel awkward enough that I wouldn't do it again

Has she said WHY she's late? Is something new going on in her life or is she just bad at time management?

She isn't going to feel embarrassed because you are accepting her being late. Lights off and toys put away just says it's the end of the day. It doesn't say "you are late and that is unacceptable." She just sees she's the last pick up of the day.

Comment

She asked if I had any other problems that were bothering me. It was a very awkward conversation.
        That would have me right off. What a condescending ____. Flipping it so that you are the problem. You must be upset about something else other than her selfish ____. I would have made her cry and sent her packing.

Did you tell her one more time and she is out?
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
          That would have me right off. What a condescending ____. Flipping it so that you are the problem. You must be upset about something else other than her selfish ____. I would have made her cry and sent her packing.

I think she meant if anything else was bothering me as far as daycare goes. Like if they were doing anything else that was annoying me.

I hate when I have to confront a parent on a policy, and it turns into a bigger deal than it needs to be. Just follow the policy I asked you to follow and move one

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post

^^^^^^

I had a clients once that was late a few times times and I told her that I had charged her twice before but the next time she would be terminated....to which she replied while leaving and walking away "well, you ought to expect people to be late sometimes; everyone can't always be on time...da da da da" all the way across the porch::

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
              ^^^^^^

I had a clients once that was late a few times times and I told her that I had charged her twice before but the next time she would be terminated....to which she replied while leaving and walking away "well, you ought to expect people to be late sometimes; everyone can't always be on time...da da da da" all the way across the porch::
              I finally got the guts up to charge DCM for being late, she had been a couple minutes here and there before but this time it was 10 or 12. I told her that they check was short the late fee. She argued with me a bit, I explained that I let several go during the summer but she owed me for this one. Her response was "alright, I will bring it at pick up, BUT this can not happen again" very sternly

It didn't because about a month later I got the guts up to do my first term. Of course she then said "I am disappointed in you"

Comment

I finally got the guts up to charge DCM for being late, she had been a couple minutes here and there before but this time it was 10 or 12. I told her that they check was short the late fee. She argued with me a bit, I explained that I let several go during the summer but she owed me for this one. Her response was "alright, I will bring it at pick up, BUT this can not happen again" very sternly

It didn't because about a month later I got the guts up to do my first term. Of course she then said "I am disappointed in you"
                Wow! It was YOUR fault she was late and got a late fee?!!!

Comment

^^^^^^

I would of told her I don't take sassy backtalk from the kids OR their parents....and terminated on the spot.

Comment

I had a parent that was with us for about 3 years before being late. She was late about 2 minutes and I stated that she owed me $2. She said "Really Irene?" Very condescendingly. She paid it, but wasn't happy with me. A few days later she was running late again. I went into the house and my assistant stayed in the building (same property, separate building) Parent ended up being TWENTY minutes late! She walked in and took out her check book and wrote a $20 check no problem.. :confused:

I like your response!

She dropped off this morning and was apologetic. I made sure not to say "it's fine." I explained to her that I'm very strict on that policy because my family is typically waiting for me upstairs (my daycare is on a separate floor) and that my day isn't over when the last kid goes home. She asked if I had any other problems that were bothering me. It was a very awkward conversation.
                    It's funny, we teach the kids that when someone says they are sorry, their response should be "thank you" and NEVER "it's ok". Occasionally they will still say "its ok" and I ask them "is it ok? can they do it again?" They look at me shocked and say of course it's not ok! Well then why did you say it was :P

Comment

One thing is if they call and are in an emergency situation, I get them help. I have kept kids overnight and for entire weekend's in such situations for free.

If they call and they have a valid reason, in advance, I help them. I have taken kids home when their vehicle broke down on the highway. I even fed them dinner and gave them a bath, first. Free.

I am not an ogre. If you are going to be late, call. If you are late because of poor planning, pay. If you keep showing up late due to poor planning, get out. It should not be so complicated. It is about respect.

The biggest thing is it hurts the kids feelings. They won't remember what all you did for them, they will remember how you made them feel.
                      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
                        I would of told her I don't take sassy backtalk from the kids OR their parents....and terminated on the spot.
                        HA HA HA! That's the BEST comment I've read today!! I would terminate on the spot for that too!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                          I think poster was just saying that how they tell the parent there is a late fee as so many have said they don't like confrontation.

If you reread her post you she's actually advertising an app she made. And her siggy says something like stop late pickups.

I just wanted to comment on the bolded part above

I used to think like that too but I went to a class one time about something similar and the first thing they asked us was would we be more apt to borrow a complete stranger $50 or a family member/friend? Almost everyone said never a stranger...only someone they know/trust.

Then they asked, then why waive the late fee for a "new" family when they have yet to build trust with you?
                          They should "earn" that ability to have a fee waived before you ever consider doing so.

If you approach things from that perspective (borrowing money or time to a stranger) you will set a precedent as to how you run your business and new clients will know you mean business because you are a business.
                          Save the "get out of jail free" cards for families who have built a trusting relationship with you.

I've never looked at my business policies the same way since...
                          Good perspective. I will keep that in mind, if ever happens again.

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
                          Wow! It was YOUR fault she was late and got a late fee?!!!

At the time when she said it, I think she meant it as a threat that I was not allowed to charge her a late fee again or I was going to regret it.

Comment

^^^^^^

Please tell me you termed on the spot.

Comment

Your mistake, as you now realize, was to tell her it's okay. That meant it was okay the next time and the next time too. I've been so guilty of that myself.
                              Then as soon as you do stand up for yourself they turn the blame around onto you instead of feeling guilty or ashamed.

Maybe time to add a late fee to your contract? I like the idea of increasing it with each violation, then using termination as a final result. Let them know you're serious and this is your business, you have a life, and they cannot overstep their boundaries or take advantage of you. IF constantly being late is an issue, then it's at your discretion to either redo their contract to make it worth your time OR tell them it clearly isn't working out and doesn't fit their needs anymore. Maybe she needs to figure out a way to get there on time as she has for so long before?

I hated confrontation as much as anyone but these forums helped me find my backbone more than I can tell you. AND when you find that backbone, your clients will give you more respect as a business owner. Good luck!! Now hold your chin up, be proud of yourself and know you are strong enough to do this. Even if you're quaking in your boots. Good luck!!
                              Remember, if you give an inch............

Comment

At the time when she said it, I think she meant it as a threat that I was not allowed to charge her a late fee again or I was going to regret it.
                                Oh heck no!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X