Late Pick-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Pick-Up

I've got a dcm that is pushing pick-up. I close at 5:30 and 2 times this past week she's picked up at like 5:35.

How do you handle this? I made the mistake of saying, "Oh, it's fine" when she apologizes. But it is definitely NOT fine. I have a policy in my handbook that pick-ups must be done PRIOR to closing time and that repeated late pick-ups are grounds for termination.

I will not allow it again. Do you send a text when it's getting close to closing time? I'm really bad at face to face confrontation, so I prefer messages of some sort.

Originally posted by CountryRoads View Post
    I've got a dcm that is pushing pick-up. I close at 5:30 and 2 times this past week she's picked up at like 5:35.

How do you handle this? I made the mistake of saying, "Oh, it's fine" when she apologizes. But it is definitely NOT fine. I have a policy in my handbook that pick-ups must be done PRIOR to closing time and that repeated late pick-ups are grounds for termination.

I will not allow it again. Do you send a text when it's getting close to closing time? I'm really bad at face to face confrontation, so I prefer messages of some sort.
    I found it easier to text to avoid confrontation . At 5:28...
    “hi! Just wondering if you will be picking up johnny soon? Just wanted to remind you that After 5:30 there is a late fee of ****. Thanks!”

Comment

Send her a text stating she owes $X amount for late pick ups on such and such dates.

Let her know that late pick ups are not acceptable and additional late pick ups may result in loss of services.

Maybe text something like:

"Hi Joann, I just wanted to remind you to add $X for late pick up fees to your next daycare payment. I also wanted to check in and make sure my closing time of 5:30 still works for you as Janie has been picked up late a couple times recently and I am unable to accommodate pick ups after 5:30 so any additional late pickups could result in loss of services. If you have any questions please let me know!
      Thank you!"

Comment

I charge $1 per minute on their invoice. I also highlight it on the sign-in sheet.
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Thank you all so much! I will be using a little bit of all the responses in a message!

I don't have a late pick-up fee because I didn't want anyone to think that it was an option to be late.

Late pick-ups are such a pet peeve of mine. Like they think I don't have anything better to do then wait for them. My day isn't over when the last kid goes home

Comment

Thank you all so much! I will be using a little bit of all the responses in a message!

I don't have a late pick-up fee because I didn't want anyone to think that it was an option to be late.

Late pick-ups are such a pet peeve of mine. Like they think I don't have anything better to do then wait for them. My day isn't over when the last kid goes home
            My fee is hefty...$2/minute. I don’t want the extra money....I want them to pick up on time. The fee is definitely a deterrent!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgirl View Post
              My fee is hefty...$2/minute. I don’t want the extra money....I want them to pick up on time. The fee is definitely a deterrent!

I charge $1 per minute per child the FIRST time
              $2 per minute per kid the SECOND time
              Termination (immediate) the 3rd time.

I don't work well with people that don't respect my time as valuable.

Comment

Charge them a late fee!

When I ran a daycare, we had this problem all the time. That's what led me to build the free service: virtuclock.com that gives them a late fee message if they are late at pickup automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                  I charge $1 per minute on their invoice. I also highlight it on the sign-in sheet.
                  Yes highlight the sign-in sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Checkinkids.com View Post
                    When I ran a daycare, we had this problem all the time. That's what led me to build the free service: virtuclock.com that gives them a late fee message if they are late at pickup automatically.

I'm a little confused how does a virtual lock stop human behavior?

Comment

Originally posted by MomBoss View Post
                      I found it easier to text to avoid confrontation . At 5:28...
                      “hi! Just wondering if you will be picking up johnny soon? Just wanted to remind you that After 5:30 there is a late fee of ****. Thanks!”
                      I like this, I have had two different families be late this month. I always waive the first time but let them know how much it was. The other family has done this repeatedly for over a year. Dcd acts as if it is nothing that he just threw off my schedule and my kids are getting cranky. He so annoys me.

Op if you do not want to charge a late fee, you could use the three strike rule. You can text like momboss suggested but put in "any pick up after xxx will be a strike, three strikes and you will be out, currently you have x strikes"

Comment

I typically send a reminder on paydays with the new total amount owed due to late fees. “Hi DCM just a reminder that payment this week is $X to include late fees from X date, thanks”

Comment

Thanks everyone!

She ended up being late again last night.

I texted her at 5:28 and asked if she was coming soon and reminded her that pick-up needs to be done prior to closing.

Just a side note - I would think she would feel so uncomfortable when she shows up to pick up her child, and I'm sitting outside, toys are put away, lights are off, and dck is the only one here. Right?? I know I would feel awkward enough that I wouldn't do it again

Comment

Thanks everyone!

She ended up being late again last night.

I texted her at 5:28 and asked if she was coming soon and reminded her that pick-up needs to be done prior to closing.

Just a side note - I would think she would feel so uncomfortable when she shows up to pick up her child, and I'm sitting outside, toys are put away, lights are off, and dck is the only one here. Right?? I know I would feel awkward enough that I wouldn't do it again
                            Respectful people would feel bad, yes.
                            To her, she got your permission to be late when she did it the first time and got away with it without consequence.
                            Unfortunately, with these types of people, you need to be harsh or expect to be walked all over.

If it were me, I'd take back control by addressing all of it:
                            "Mary, I need to touch base with you about pick up time. I need all my clients to understand that at 5:30, my doors are closed and I am no longer available. I expect all families to arrive with plenty of time to gather their child, any belongings and be off the property before the clock hits 5:30. The last few weeks, you've picked up after 5:30 X amount of times. Because I need to be confident that I can trust my clients to arrive on time, if a late pick up happens again, I will need to terminate our contract. Thank you for your understanding."

Comment

Originally posted by Snowmom View Post
                              Respectful people would feel bad, yes.
                              To her, she got your permission to be late when she did it the first time and got away with it without consequence.
                              Unfortunately, with these types of people, you need to be harsh or expect to be walked all over.

If it were me, I'd take back control by addressing all of it:
                              "Mary, I need to touch base with you about pick up time. I need all my clients to understand that at 5:30, my doors are closed and I am no longer available. I expect all families to arrive with plenty of time to gather their child, any belongings and be off the property before the clock hits 5:30. The last few weeks, you've picked up after 5:30 X amount of times. Because I need to be confident that I can trust my clients to arrive on time, if a late pick up happens again, I will need to terminate our contract. Thank you for your understanding."
                              I like your response!

She dropped off this morning and was apologetic. I made sure not to say "it's fine." I explained to her that I'm very strict on that policy because my family is typically waiting for me upstairs (my daycare is on a separate floor) and that my day isn't over when the last kid goes home. She asked if I had any other problems that were bothering me. It was a very awkward conversation.

Comment

Working...
                              X