Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Reasons for Terminating Care

Hi everyone!

What's your deal breaker? Reason for terminating care? I'm about to kick one out that is misbehaving during nap time. I have kicked one out for constant fussing, almost kicked one out because mom was crazy and treated me like I was her teenage daughter

1 child terminated for their behavior in 12+ years. Otherwise it's all been on the parents- late payment/ nonpayment, not following policies, or not understanding I'm not their employee.

ETA: it's usually not "1" thing. Parents who push it usually try it in multiple ways.

Comment

We have threads for terminating with these TAGS:

Non-Payment
      Sick Policy
      Disrespectful
      Screaming
      Behavioral
      Bad Fit
      No Show
      Biter
      Hyper
      No Trust
      Inappropriate Behavior
      Violent
      Because Of Parents
      Illness/Sickness
      Cigarette Smoke
      Stealing
      Lying
      Due To Hours
      Won't Nap
      Hitting
      Crying
      Warts

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
        1 child terminated for their behavior in 12+ years. Otherwise it's all been on the parents- late payment/ nonpayment, not following policies, or not understanding I'm not their employee.

ETA: it's usually not "1" thing. Parents who push it usually try it in multiple ways.

There have been a couple of children that didn’t make it past interview due to their behavior during the interview, but the parents I’ve wanted gone have been crazy, high-maintenance parents.

But for me the relationship usually goes downhill when I start saying “no” a lot. High-maint types can’t handle being told”no.”

Comment

Children: Violent Behaviors that don't improve with intervention in a reasonable amount of time.

Adults: Let me count the ways.
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Non payment and not following our policies have been the reason in our daycare center.

Comment

I'm about to tell a family their kid can't come back next year (I close for the summer). He is constantly causing trouble during nap time and his new feature is biting. Sad part is, he was one of my first daycare kids, but if I have to do another year with this kid, I'll lose my mind.

I've also termed for:

3-Parental lack of cooperation (making demands, being rude/acting like I work for them, not paying on time, ignoring policies, dropping off/picking up whenever they felt like regardless of my hours and so on)
              1-Absolutely crazy behavior of a two year old. I know they're energetic, but this kid was always on 10. I couldn't handle it. ::
              1-Super aggressive/angry behavior; throwing chairs, any toy they could find, shoving other kids just because, etc.

I've only been open a little less than 2 years, so I'm a bit embarrassed of how many families I've termed; but it feels so good to term the clients I just don't get on well with. I figure I might as well enjoy the job I conjured up out of thin air!

Comment

Originally posted by BGM View Post

I've only been open a little less than 2 years, so I'm a bit embarrassed of how many families I've termed; but it feels so good to term the clients I just don't get on well with. I figure I might as well enjoy the job I conjured up out of thin air!

Comment

Originally posted by BGM View Post

Oh No! Do NOT be embarrassed about having to find your groove! That's actually a good thing!!

What people "think" operating a child care is like and what operating one is actually like are two totally different movies so I think going through a lot of families is a great way to learn what does and doesn't work for you. It's also a great way to learn the business and gain experience.

It's the providers that refuse to terminate a family or child that is down right awful simply because they were one of their first families. That logic always makes me sad.

Comment

I terminated two children for aggressive out of control behaviour and constant crying. First one lasted 7 months, second lasted a week.

I terminated two children because their parents were in denial about developmental delays/issues. One child turned out to be deaf, another child I suspected ASD.

I am usually able to deal with parental behaviour but it is by far the most stressful aspect of this job. I have been contemplating ending care for one family because mom is always asking me to stop napping her kid no matter how many times I have addressed the issue in a polite manner.

Comment

Terminated one on the spot for extreme aggression (FAS case and the family lied about being kicked out of the previous daycare for aggression)

Terminated one on the spot for drug paraphernalia out in the open while I was babysitting from their house with my own child on site. Should have terminated months earlier for aggression and late payments and late pick ups. My first months being open and it's a learning curve

Terminated one for nonstop hysterical screaming from dropoff to pickup (family said at termination that the same thing happens in the church nursery)

Terminated one with advance notice because they were part time and I needed their spot for a sibling of a full-time kid

Comment

I out and out termed one child because I didn't feel I could keep the little Houdini safe.

I didn't term but I did nudge people out the door for not wanting their exhausted child to nap at nap time, for showing up late for pick up too often and for raising his fists to me as if he were going to punch me after I explained that his newly walking child lost his balance and fell onto a toy, resulting in a small bruise. (I should have out and out termed him for that but....you live and learn.) He was nudged out shortly after that night!

Comment

When I was first starting out I had to call for pick up because dcg 18 mo. had diarrhea. He had a lot of diarrhea all the time because he slept with a bottle of apple juice and drank mass quantities throughout the day at his house. I personally did not feel it was my job to clean up diarrhea because they gave him crap to drink. The dad was extremely pissed that he had to come pick up. He said I just couldn't handle the diarrhea that is why I called him. He was very rude and made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

I terminated a family last year because they never paid on time and broke rules. Then they went and switched their work schedules and ASSUMED I was just going to accommodate. Buh bye

Comment

Thinking back there have been many I should have terminated but hung in there. They either aged out or I was magically full when they wanted to return during the summer, had another sibling, etc. I had 2 dcfs that I did terminate; their kids used horrible vulgar language but in both cases that was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. There are lots of ways to deal with late payments, dcps not following rules, etc. but when their kids call me an effin bit@h on top of it all, that's when I say come get them, take 'em home and don't come back.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post

it's usually not "1" thing. Parents who push it usually try it in multiple ways.

Just about all families I've terminated, was due to disrespectful parents that signed my contract having no intention what so ever of following my policies!
                              I don't have patience for disrespectful boundary pushers

Comment

Working...
                              X