Worker Napping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worker Napping

Hi is it common for a home daycare provider to be taking naps when the kids do? I suspect my kid’s provider does this. I’m not even sure that I mind but just wondering if it’s normal. Thank you.

No. The provider still needs to be alert to any problems or issues which may occur. They are still working and should be awake. I would mind,very much, if someone caring for my child was asleep during the day. Children can choke, cry, etc. Someone needs to be able to hear them. It’s most likely against licensing standards.

Comment

It varies by state.

Here's an old thread on this topic that you may find interesting. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40903
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I don’t but I know when my cousin was pregnant she did. I suspect an interesting discussion will follow.

Comment

I think it’s against the rules here in IL, but I imagine it varies state by state. I come from a center background where falling asleep on the job very likely get you fired. Personally I wouldn’t do it.

Comment

Originally posted by storybookending View Post
            I don’t but I know when my cousin was pregnant she did. I suspect an interesting discussion will follow.
            Probably not. A lot has changed since 2012 with QRIS and more regulation in almost every state.

I am unaware of any state that allows licensed providers to nap, now (that does not mean there isn't one). Even overnight care is regulated for a provider to be up.

I am not sure how it applies to those few states who still allow providers to be legally unlicensed, though. :confused:
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I know of a pair of sisters who have a childcare, and they lie down and nap with the kids every day. They're unlicensed/unregistered. It's legal.

If you are registered or licensed in my state, you must be awake during day hours when you have kids. You may sleep at night when kids are sleeping, as long as you have a monitor or are in the same room as kids.

Comment

i don't know of a specific rule against sleeping while the kids are sleeping during the day here in my state. I know you have to be in proximity to them so you can hear them to monitor them. They have rules about sleeping during over night care but nothing really against it though i don't think my licensor would be happy to see me napping
                If the question is bugging you you can always call your local licensing office or look up the minimum standards for childcare homes in your state. Super simple, i have it in Ibook form on my iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                  You may sleep at night when kids are sleeping, as long as you have a monitor or are in the same room as kids.
                  That is how it was here, once. Same room, hook lock up high on door, then carry on.

Now it is straight cut: "At least one Adult shall supervise Children at all times"

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                    That is how it was here, once. Same room, hook lock up high on door, then carry on.

Now it is straight cut: "At least one Adult shall supervise Children at all times"
                    Woah kinda strict. I bet that closed a lot of night care homes

Comment

Very tempting some days, but I wouldn't risk it.

If you have concerns, you need to speak with your provider.

Comment

I confess to falling asleep a couple times, while sitting up in my chair though it was when I was pregnant with my last. Mostly I ended up half dozing a couple times. But I've never layin down to sleep and never would cause I'm being paid to take care of the kids during normal daytime hours.
                        I know a staff member who was fired from a center for falling asleep (Alberta canada) while I worked there.

Comment

The center I worked at also had an off base 4K program. The assistant there was known for sleeping on the job and she never did get fired :confused: My boss almost talked about it in a joking manner at times. Then again she never was professional about anything so I’m not sure why I was shocked to learn this.

Comment

Originally posted by BrynleeJean View Post
                            Woah kinda strict. I bet that closed a lot of night care homes
                            Not really.

They just work 2nd or 3rd shift and sleep like other 2nd or 3rd shift workers. We have several plants here that support that business model.

I used to work 24/48 shifts and opened my daycare under that model for a few years. I was already used to being up for 24 at the time. No way I'd do it now, I like my nights and weekends too much. ::

Comment

I do think it is normal. I think a lot of providers see nothing wrong with it. I personally think it is very unprofessional and not a safe idea. Anything can happen while you are unconscious. I don’t quite know how you CAN fall asleep! I would be too worried. I do watch Netflix or read but never sleep unless I have a headache and my husband is home to supervise.

Comment

Working...
                              X