No announcement yet.

What Do Millennial Parents Want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that Millennial parents are shifting away from AP parenting, and toward a more balanced approach. Authoritative, not Authoritarian. I'm seeing rules and consequences (not punishments) in parents more again.

What they want from me is respect and honesty. They want to know more about their kids' days at daycare and more about the kids' behavior, too.

The younger parents that I have now, vs 3 or 4 years ago, are MORE willing to pay on time and MORE willing to accept my handbook without trying to negotiate everything. They do get a good "talking to" at the interview, though. I became more flexible about payment dates, but more strict about payments being made. I tell them to decide honestly about when they are able to pay and then commit to it and follow through. I don't have the "I don't get paid til next week" parents anymore, because we set up payments around their paychecks now. They like electronic payments, so I accept Venmo or PayPal. When they ARE late, this lets me send them a demand for payment, too.

They are more likely to take parenting seriously, too-they are more likely to stay home with sick kids, they are more attentive to their child's development, as well. They aren't putting vacations and new cars ahead of their kids' daycare bills. I see things shifting back toward more responsibility in this generation, myself. I know millennials who are owners of several properties, because of wise investing at a young age. They found what they wanted and went out and got it.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the millennial generation, but I haven't seen it. I see responsible people who know what they want, are confident, respectful, and dedicated to making the most of life.

What I see from the Gen Z's? I don't want to go there. LOL. I hope it is just that they are young, but I've had several of that gen's moms call me to ask if I could hire their ADULT child. These are the children that MY generation raised (gen x) and it looks bleak. Things seem to work out, though, and as I get older, I definitely get more critical. But, when you can't go do a daycare interview for your own child without bringing your parents along to ask all the questions and make a decision, I will keep being critical. ::

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
      I see that Millennial parents are shifting away from AP parenting, and toward a more balanced approach. Authoritative, not Authoritarian. I'm seeing rules and consequences (not punishments) in parents more again.

What they want from me is respect and honesty. They want to know more about their kids' days at daycare and more about the kids' behavior, too.

The younger parents that I have now, vs 3 or 4 years ago, are MORE willing to pay on time and MORE willing to accept my handbook without trying to negotiate everything. They do get a good "talking to" at the interview, though. I became more flexible about payment dates, but more strict about payments being made. I tell them to decide honestly about when they are able to pay and then commit to it and follow through. I don't have the "I don't get paid til next week" parents anymore, because we set up payments around their paychecks now. They like electronic payments, so I accept Venmo or PayPal. When they ARE late, this lets me send them a demand for payment, too.

They are more likely to take parenting seriously, too-they are more likely to stay home with sick kids, they are more attentive to their child's development, as well. They aren't putting vacations and new cars ahead of their kids' daycare bills. I see things shifting back toward more responsibility in this generation, myself. I know millennials who are owners of several properties, because of wise investing at a young age. They found what they wanted and went out and got it.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the millennial generation, but I haven't seen it. I see responsible people who know what they want, are confident, respectful, and dedicated to making the most of life.

What I see from the Gen Z's? I don't want to go there. LOL. I hope it is just that they are young, but I've had several of that gen's moms call me to ask if I could hire their ADULT child. These are the children that MY generation raised (gen x) and it looks bleak. Things seem to work out, though, and as I get older, I definitely get more critical. But, when you can't go do a daycare interview for your own child without bringing your parents along to ask all the questions and make a decision, I will keep being critical. ::
      Im seeing this as well. LOTS of stressed out grandparents that have zero control yet their own children (young parents now) are great! The two youngest mom's I have now (One is 23 and the other is 27) are both fantastic parents. Have rules and consequences and don't just talk to hear themselves speak. Their kids are pretty good too... don't require constant reminders about rules and why we follow them but instead are capable of entertaining themselves without electronics and have good imaginations and eat, sleep and listen well.

The other thing I notice about those parents....their kids happily play and get along with every other age/type of kid I have in care. Some of my older coddled kids can't be seated next to soNso or nap near the wall or face east on Tuesdays or eat anything green on a day that has an "S" in it....

Yay! I hope the pendulum has swung so far in the wrong direction that it will now hover for MUCH longer than before in the right direction. happyface

Comment

Good article about the changing parent environment

Katherine Lewis, author of “The Good News About Bad Behavior,” sees a crisis of self-regulation among kids today, and suggests rethinking approaches to discipline.

Comment

My daughter is in school now, but I want SPECIFICALLY an old-school, strict nonsense teacher. The teacher she had this year was very much like that, and my daughter blossomed. I'm 30.

Comment

Working...
          X