What Do Millennial Parents Want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do Millennial Parents Want?

I run a very predictable, routined based inhome daycare. I have a good reputation and don't have any troubles finding older (non-millenial) parents to sign on, as they love my professionalism, older school ways, detailed handbook, etc, but I have had no luck in signing this new generation of parent - and let's face it, they're the ones making babies. I lost a real lead (that really liked me) to a more laid back inhome provider. Dcm liked me, but by the sounds of things, I am "too business minded & strict". So, my question is, do you have suggestions on how to get this new generation on board? I refuse to be walked over, party with, and be "friends" with parents, and I'm getting the sense that maybe that's where the problem may be. Idk. Any input would be appreciated.

I would think that what millennial parents want would be, perhaps, might be to see the reasoning behind childcare practices. I'm saying this because this generation has had the internet from BEFORE day one of their child's birth. They should probably be the most informed generation about different parenting and child development practices and can learn more than just observing their own parents, family and community.

Not every person researches everything, but as a group, I believe millennials do go straight to Miss Google with all their questions!

So, I'm thinking they are used to having at least 15 articles online about why they should or shouldn't be doing time out, co-sleeping, pre-chewing their babies food (), etc... So, they want to maybe hear (or better yet READ in your paperwork or online!) what you are going to do with children and why.

I think they are also used to constant communication and updates from social media or just texting with family and friends - and even work, with never getting away from the work email chains! So, theyay feel uncomfortably out if touch if they don't hear about/from their child through out the day...

Just a couple ideas!

Comment

I am completely connected during business hours with a secret facebook parent page for daily, multiple times a day pics, and i also use brightwheel, so they are totally connected. I like the point you made about their internet accessibility and their over exposure to the whys and why nots of parenting. My handbook is already quite lengthy, so idk how I would explain my reasoning for that.

Comment

Define older school ways.

Comment

Yeah, idk what isn't connecting between your style and the new parents.. I wonder what she meant by the other provider being more laid back. Like laid back, as in the rules for parents, like it's ok to not pay on time or it's ok to come in an hour after drop off time... Or does it mean laid back in kids care like she doesn't make them play with the puzzles only on the table or she doesn't make them change out of dress up before playing in the sand box, etc, that sort of thing.

Comment

Perhaps they are not choosing you as a provider because they can feel you are judging them in a negative way?

Comment

My "old school ways" are traditional parenting and non AP, but they get cuddles and stuff of course. I believe in time away and not catering and coddling kids. I also have developmental appropriate expectations of kids and expect that they can meet those age appropriate expectations.

I'm friendly with the chosen provider and she said they really liked me, but I was too strict and business like and when she met with them, the parents said they didn't care to see her first aid, insurance papers or other documentation, which they commented, I was the only one who did. As a parent, I'd just think that they'd want a professional and not a babysitter. I know I'd like to know as much as possible, and of course go by gut too, but not to go elsewhere because they am so detailed. I've been told by another millenial parent that I'm intimidating because I do spell it all out. (Which i have done over time due to learning experiences, haha). I'm just at a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
                Perhaps they are not choosing you as a provider because they can feel you are judging them in a negative way?
                I hope not. I know in writing I may seem direct, but I'm pretty nice. Lol. I'm also honest and real and don't like putting on a show - aside from acting confident for the interview.

Comment

Maybe give them a little less at first interview.Give them a chance to get to know you and your program first.I always went over the contract tuition,paid time off,sick policy and holidays. I did not give the bigger policy pages at first interview. I always gave contract with 3 references for them to call. Then when they gave the deposit I gave rest of paperwork.I interviewed in the evening and if the child was not an infant asked them to come alone.I showed them around and spent 1 hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    I run a very predictable, routined based inhome daycare. I have a good reputation and don't have any troubles finding older (non-millenial) parents to sign on, as they love my professionalism, older school ways, detailed handbook, etc, but I have had no luck in signing this new generation of parent - and let's face it, they're the ones making babies. I lost a real lead (that really liked me) to a more laid back inhome provider. Dcm liked me, but by the sounds of things, I am "too business minded & strict". So, my question is, do you have suggestions on how to get this new generation on board? I refuse to be walked over, party with, and be "friends" with parents, and I'm getting the sense that maybe that's where the problem may be. Idk. Any input would be appreciated.
                    I think that unless this is happening every time you tour perhaps this family just wants to run the show and feel like the daycare provider works for them. I think that you may have dodged the bullet of enrolling a family who was going to push back on all policies and cause you problems.

Comment

Originally posted by daisymay View Post
                      I think that unless this is happening every time you tour perhaps this family just wants to run the show and feel like the daycare provider works for them. I think that you may have dodged the bullet of enrolling a family who was going to push back on all policies and cause you problems.
                      I read this as this other provider probably doesn’t have a handbook and policies and they are not bound by contract. They will more than likely want to run the show like previously stated. I have found that there are families who look for new daycare providers or providers who don’t have contracts so they can try to bend the rules any which way until that provider wises up.

Comment

By definition “millennials” are between the ages of 22 and 37 which technically is all of my parents. I’m going to assume you mean the “20 somethings”. So far I’ve found that the younger parents are easier for me. I’m young myself but I’ve found with the new parents you tell them what’s what and they, be it through lack of experience or lack of causing a riff, just do what I say. I also work only exclusively with people I know/referrals from people I know. It is a small town so I can get away with it.

Comment

I lost a real lead (that really liked me) to a more laid back inhome provider. Dcm liked me, but by the sounds of things, I am "too business minded & strict". So, my question is, do you have suggestions on how to get this new generation on board? I refuse to be walked over, party with, and be "friends" with parents, and I'm getting the sense that maybe that's where the problem may be. Idk. Any input would be appreciated.
                          My "old school ways" are traditional parenting and non AP, but they get cuddles and stuff of course. I believe in time away and not catering and coddling kids. I also have developmental appropriate expectations of kids and expect that they can meet those age appropriate expectations.

I'm friendly with the chosen provider and she said they really liked me, but I was too strict and business like and when she met with them, the parents said they didn't care to see her first aid, insurance papers or other documentation, which they commented, I was the only one who did. As a parent, I'd just think that they'd want a professional and not a babysitter. I know I'd like to know as much as possible, and of course go by gut too, but not to go elsewhere because they am so detailed. I've been told by another millenial parent that I'm intimidating because I do spell it all out. (Which i have done over time due to learning experiences, haha). I'm just at a loss.
                          Without seeing you in action, it's hard to know exactly what to suggest but I think you've been given some really good, honest feedback already. I think you have to try to strike that happy medium - somewhere between professional but warm and friendly. From what you've written, it sounds as though your warmth isn't coming across as well as it could. Is it possible that in trying to protect yourself from being "walked over", you're coming across not so much as professional but as hardened or jaded? (We providers may understand exactly where you're coming from but parents who have never worked as day care providers may not.) Since one of the parents mentioned them as a negative, I would forget showing the first aid, insurance and other papers unless you're specifically asked about them? You can mention that your CPR/First Aid certified and insured but I wouldn't necessarily show them proof unless they ask you for it. I do go over key points in my handbook and explain why my policies are important enough for me to include them. I try to make it conversational rather than a paragraph by paragraph reading of rules.

If all else fails, could you ask someone to listen in from an adjoining room during your next interview? Maybe they could give you some feedback on how you're coming across and offer specific suggestions on changes you could make? I wish you luck in your next interview. I know it can be frustrating to lose a family you really like. I hope the next
                          interview goes better for you.

Comment

Originally posted by e.j. View Post
                            Without seeing you in action, it's hard to know exactly what to suggest but I think you've been given some really good, honest feedback already. I think you have to try to strike that happy medium - somewhere between professional but warm and friendly. From what you've written, it sounds as though your warmth isn't coming across as well as it could. Is it possible that in trying to protect yourself from being "walked over", you're coming across not so much as professional but as hardened or jaded? (We providers may understand exactly where you're coming from but parents who have never worked as day care providers may not.) Since one of the parents mentioned them as a negative, I would forget showing the first aid, insurance and other papers unless you're specifically asked about them? You can mention that your CPR/First Aid certified and insured but I wouldn't necessarily show them proof unless they ask you for it. I do go over key points in my handbook and explain why my policies are important enough for me to include them. I try to make it conversational rather than a paragraph by paragraph reading of rules.

If all else fails, could you ask someone to listen in from an adjoining room during your next interview? Maybe they could give you some feedback on how you're coming across and offer specific suggestions on changes you could make? I wish you luck in your next interview. I know it can be frustrating to lose a family you really like. I hope the next
                            interview goes better for you.
                            I like these ideas. I'm not sure that it's just a millennial thing. But more of an individual thing. I've found my dcps, who are anywhere from 25-40(just guessing) do want a family home type environment, a.k.a. laid back IMO, and most have to be reminded of rules often. They don't push back; but just are too busy and either focused on family or themselves to remember. I've always just used a type of enrollment form to let them know I am insured, don't smoke, have CPR/First Aid, etc., and no one has ever asked for further confirmation. Maybe they picture centers/preschools as more professional and dc homes as personal? IDK. But there is a reason families pick you so use that in spreading the word. And use your current dcfs who are comfortable with you, to gain referrals from. Ask these types of questions during interviews, maybe that will help. Or if they do go somewhere else, maybe investigate why, although it sounds like you might do that somewhat already? Focus on open communication between everyone. Maybe being too 'professional' could be intimidating to some dcfs, they're expecting a more personal touch, an air of flexibility within reason, rather than rigidity.

Comment

Originally posted by storybookending View Post
                              By definition “millennials” are between the ages of 22 and 37 which technically is all of my parents. I’m going to assume you mean the “20 somethings”. So far I’ve found that the younger parents are easier for me. I’m young myself but I’ve found with the new parents you tell them what’s what and they, be it through lack of experience or lack of causing a riff, just do what I say. I also work only exclusively with people I know/referrals from people I know. It is a small town so I can get away with it.
                              I have some young parents that are great and follow my rules and I have some older ones that do not!
                              I get what you are saying as I have had my share of issues from parents not wanting to follow the rules or contract after they have signed on. My suggestion would be to talk about your program at the first meeting. Do not spend a ton of time going over the things that might turn them off. Let's face it most people would rather be able to do what they want than be bound by a contract with rules. I have lost on several people enrolling since I refuse to do daily rates and will not let them pay for only days in care. Make them see why they should enroll with you structure, reliable etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X