Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk

I increasingly have more kids who absolutely hate milk. I have 4 right now that will not drink it. They literally gag. What do you do with the food program and this? She told me to give them a cup of milk and water, that seems so ridiculous just curious if others have run into this.

Originally posted by tenderhearts View Post
    I increasingly have more kids who absolutely hate milk. I have 4 right now that will not drink it. They literally gag. What do you do with the food program and this? She told me to give them a cup of milk and water, that seems so ridiculous just curious if others have run into this.
    I offer. If they pass, they pass.
    If they ask for water, they can have water.

But milk down the drain or in their tummy is the same either way....gone.

I am reimbursed either way.

Comment

I offer 4 oz juice in the afternoon and I have children choose milk more often than not. My juice ends up expiring before I can serve it all I’m thinking about eliminating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

My kids are also used to milk so that is probably why they drink it. They are also under the age of 3 so that could be why. School agers usually seem to want water over milk.

Comment

Same. Only two of my parents serve milk at home. Most of my kids have doctors notes saying they should have almond milk. They do all seem to have stomach troubles after drinking straight milk, so I guess it is pretty legit (although maybe this is some sort of exposure thing?). My food program rep just requires me to have the notes on hand. It doesn't sound like your kiddos are having digestive issues though.

Comment

I just measure to make sure I'm not giving more than the min req amount to reduce waste. And like BC says, in their bellies or in the trash, it's all gone to me.

Comment

If you serve "family style" couldn't you have the milk in a pitcher and kids could pour it or pass it without having any?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                If you serve "family style" couldn't you have the milk in a pitcher and kids could pour it or pass it without having any?
                Yep, but the entire pitcher has to be dumped at the end of the meal unless you can figure out a way to keep it on ice at the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I feel the same. I offer it, its gone either way. let it roll of your shoulder

Comment

Originally posted by BrynleeJean View Post
                    I feel the same. I offer it, its gone either way. let it roll of your shoulder
                    And I sure don’t want to drink it. I’d also rather not have any left in the fridge over the weekend for my kids to get into. I don’t feel it’s all that healthy for human kids after about the age of 4 or 5.

Comment

I had 2 SA sisters who refused milk. My FP rep caught me giving them just water one day. Oops. She said all I have to do is give enough in a cup to cover the bottom. If they drink that, offer more. For as long as I had them, they refused adamantly. I guess I don't see the point in pushing milk so hard. As long as it's not getting substituted with sugary drinks. Milk isn't 'all that'. I now have a 17 mo who started refusing milk at around a year when she dropped the bottle. I offer her drops of milk from a big cup and who knows how much she actually takes in because a lot of dribble happens. Lol It's all I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by hwichlaz View Post
                        Yep, but the entire pitcher has to be dumped at the end of the meal unless you can figure out a way to keep it on ice at the table.
                        So, fill a pitcher with enough milk to fill each glass with the required amount of milk. That way, you're not wasting any more milk than you would if you filled individual cups.

Comment

Originally posted by Lissa Kristine View Post
                          So, fill a pitcher with enough milk to fill each glass with the required amount of milk. That way, you're not wasting any more milk than you would if you filled individual cups.
                          It's still wasting exactly the same amount though, so why not just put it in the cups and not dirty another dish? They are still, even family style, required to take a taste of each thing here.

Comment

She told me to give them a cup of milk and water, that seems so ridiculous just curious if others have run into this.
                            I must do the same with lunch/dinner. They don't drink the milk, many ask for a strawberry/chocolate milk option . After being told no for the 30 millionth time, they choose the ice water; the milk cups don't leave their tray (family style). Like BC, I am reimbursed either way.

I choose to make up the component lost, though, because I want them to have strong bones and full bellies. I offer some form of cheese (slices, cubes, cream cheese, cottage, mini-wheels, etc.) or yogurt with each meal/snack.
                            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by hwichlaz View Post
                              They are still, even family style, required to take a taste of each thing here.
                              Is that a regulation where you are?

That would get me a violation citation.
                              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X