STINK of Marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STINK of Marijuana

I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.

Originally posted by WBee View Post
    I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.
    If it is not legal in your state that would be a huge liability.

Comment

Are you licensed? I would contact my licensing rep to ask for advice.

Comment

I hadn't even thought of this situation--not legal here but it could still happen. What can we do about second hand smoke? It's dangerous for the child, but will licensing help?

Comment

I would talk to the family. Maybe let them know that when dhs was visiting, they noticed the child smelled of marijuana?
          Its a weird situation. In my state medical marijuana is legal, and i truly believe it doesnt do people any harm. The only thing that would bother me is the smell in my home but otherwise i wouldnt get cps involved or be mad the parent is even smoking it. But thats based on my research, personal opinion, and experience seeing how much it helped a family memebr with their pain and medical situation.
          Maybe if you say it like i stated above (dhs noticed) , the parent will be embarrassed and make sure the childs clothes arent near any smoke.

Comment

I like the DHS idea. It is medically legal here so I can't assume how/why they're using it but like I said, I don't want the liability or the 'stink". I am licensed
            Thank you!

Comment

It’s legal in RI for medical use. And if they grow their medicine, especially indoors, everything will stink close to harvest time. It’s not detrimental to the child to be exposed to the pollen. I use it topically and frequently smell like it. But it’s under my clothing (shoulders and ankles) so it’s not enough to make the kids smell.

I’m not sure how a parent smelling like it would be a liability to anyone. But I would be concerned if a child’s belongings smelled like it and I was inspected in a state where it’s not legal. In California you can’t get away from it. My entire neighborhood smells like it.

Comment

I had a parent who was a heavy smoker. I told her that her daughter's belongings needed to be put and sealed in a plastic bag upon arrival, due to her coat smelling of smoke. I explained that when her coat is near other coats, they picked up the odor and parents were complaining. Embarrassment happened. Mom stopped smoking in the car.

You could do the same, only substitute the word smoke for your dubbie, joint , Mary Jane, a fat one, etc. (I had help with these terms from my bff).

Comment

In my state medical marijuana is legal but smoking it is not.
                  Those that use it medicinally use it in alternative methods that do not include smoking it.

If I smelled marijuana on a DCK and suspected the parent was smoking, as a mandated reporter I would HAVE to report.

My personal feelings about it one way or another play no role in state licensing requirements for mandated reporter.

Smoking cigarettes in a vehicle WITH a child is also illegal in my state.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                    In my state medical marijuana is legal but smoking it is not.
                    Those that use it medicinally use it in alternative methods that do not include smoking it.

If I smelled marijuana on a DCK and suspected the parent was smoking, as a mandated reporter I would HAVE to report.

My personal feelings about it one way or another play no role in state licensing requirements for mandated reporter.

Smoking cigarettes in a vehicle WITH a child is also illegal in my state.
                    But would a parent smoking marijuana be abuse or neglect to a child?
                    Even if they werent smoking inside the car with the child, that smell takes up a whole house and gets into everything. I dont do daycare in my home, but my home is a twin home and we are attached by the garage. The neighbor smokes marijuana in his garage. I can smell it INSIDE my car! Its aweful. Im glad im moving soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MomBoss View Post
                      But would a parent smoking marijuana be abuse or neglect to a child?
                      Even if they werent smoking inside the car with the child, that smell takes up a whole house and gets into everything. I dont do daycare in my home, but my home is a twin home and we are attached by the garage. The neighbor smokes marijuana in his garage. I can smell it INSIDE my car! Its aweful. Im glad im moving soon.
                      Not my decision to make.

Smoking marijuana is illegal so if a child's reeks like it, I must report. CPS will decide if it's worth investigating or not.

Comment

Many medical uses that do not involve smoking, still stink. Including growing. Growers and their kids...stink. It's a very pungent plant when it matures. Topical use reeks more than smoking it too.

Comment

Originally posted by hwichlaz View Post
                          Many medical uses that do not involve smoking, still stink. Including growing. Growers and their kids...stink. It's a very pungent plant when it matures. Topical use reeks more than smoking it too.
                          So far with those I've had contact with have not smelled at all. I have a current family who's pre-K (not enrolled here) child uses medical marijuana for a severe form of epilepsy.
                          The child nor the family has ever even remotely smelled.

I would also think there is a distinctive difference between the actual odor of the plant or topical use and the small of marijuana smoke.

I mean if you sniff a pack of unlit cigarettes, there is a smell or odor too but its a much different odor when it's from actual smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by hwichlaz View Post
                            I’m not sure how a parent smelling like it would be a liability to anyone. But I would be concerned if a child’s belongings smelled like it and I was inspected in a state where it’s not legal. In California you can’t get away from it. My entire neighborhood smells like it.
                            I am glad we are not in the same neighborhood

People do it where I am but it seems they do not do it or want to smell of it - especially in front of their children.

If it is legal I would send a note to all families saying you do not want the odor of smoke of any kind (marijuna, vaping or cigarette smoke, etc.) in the area children are in.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              So far with those I've had contact with have not smelled at all. I have a current family who's pre-K (not enrolled here) child uses medical marijuana for a severe form of epilepsy.
                              The child nor the family has ever even remotely smelled.

I would also think there is a distinctive difference between the actual odor of the plant or topical use and the small of marijuana smoke.

I mean if you sniff a pack of unlit cigarettes, there is a smell or odor too but its a much different odor when it's from actual smoke.
                              When used for epilepsy they use a few drops of oil under the tounge. And the oil doesn’t smell or have THC in it at all.

When used to stimulate appetite or for pain....it usually stinks. Depending on delivery method. When used topically for joint pain....it reeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X