Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Allow Parents To "Drop In" Anytime They Want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
    "Yes, you can absolutely drop in to pick up your child anytime! I appreciate a heads up during nap hours, as it allows me to make the pick up as least disturbing to the others as possible, but you may drop in to pick up your child at anytime during the day."

Just to add, I did the one pick up/drop off policy for this reason. Other than parental piece of mind, it is usually disruptive to have them drop in, so in exchange for that disruption, I get one less kid to deal with.
    I love this! How do you word this in your handbook, if you don't mind me asking? Or what would be a good example of how to phrase it for use in a handbook?

Comment

Open Door Policy for Daycarein NY

I am currently employed as a lead teacher at a daycare that has a open door policy. Meaning they allow the parents to drop in whenever they want to see there kids. I don’t disagree with PARENTS being able to drop in wheneverbut recently my room has become a somewhat visitation center for other family members (Grandparents, aunts, uncles etc.) it is getting a bit out of control and causing a disturbance to our rountine and schedule. I am just wondering if anyone knows what the policy In NY for such a thing is and also if that policy should be for PARENTS only.

Comment

I'm license exempt in my state since I keep less than 4. I know that the "daycare interview checklists" say there should be an open door policy, etc so I say that I have an open door policy. I tell them that they can visit at any time, BUT I also indicate that a lot of my parents text me before coming so that I can make sure their child is cleaned up / changed/ ready to go for them. Most seem to prefer the convenience of that to being able to do surprise visits. They don't like the idea of Junior being covered in banana from snack time and having to wait while I clean him up. I've never added the "one drop off and pick up per day" stipulation, but will definitely add that in the future!

I'm glad I'm license exempt, because I could not tolerate having to host a visit between the parent / relative and their child! You want to visit with your child? Take them home and lessen my work burden for the day! I have things to do around here and that completely disrupts everything... Disruptions here are usually minimal, but a new baby sister was born last night and another child had a doctor's appointment this afternoon, so I had the big brothers come late with Grandma and then the other boy leave early so even that rare disruption is annoying to me. I like my routines and the kids are less cranky when life is predictable...

I've only had 1 potential parent ask about coming to hang out for an hour in order to get a feel for me and my program. I told her that, if the interview went well and we both wanted to move forward, I would have to get permission from the other parents first. (I was new... Lol) Thankfully, she went with a daycare center. There were red flags during the interview anyway, but again I was new and didn't see them at the time.

Comment

Some of my parents have tried dropping in a few times a day. They decided on their own to stop doing that after they saw how much it distresses their child. I cannot, by law, prevent parents visiting unless that parent doesn't have a child in care that day.

Comment

Originally posted by ardeur View Post
            Some of my parents have tried dropping in a few times a day. They decided on their own to stop doing that after they saw how much it distresses their child. I cannot, by law, prevent parents visiting unless that parent doesn't have a child in care that day.
            Does your state specifically say “visit” or does it say “access” or “open door policy”?
            There is a huge difference between the terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
              By Utah law...every parent must have access to their child at any time they are in care.

That does NOT mean they can come and hang out and be part of our day.

They must have access to THEIR child. They do not have a right to access to anyone else's child.

I explain to parents that they can come and visit with their child if they want to...but their child will be brought out to spend time with them in the family room (entrance). They may not go down to the playroom and mingle with the other kids.

I let them know that the visit must be fairly short as we have a schedule to keep. It's not fair for example for the child to miss an activity or to not have to clean up etc. because their parent is visiting. If the parent has a ton of time on their hands, they can spend it at home!

We had a problem with a registered sex offender dad who LOVED coming to hang out when I had an "open door" policy. He LOVED access to all those kids. Never, ever again. Only access to THEIR child is allowed.

If their child fusses when they go to leave...they must take the child with them. While they have a right to see their child, they don't have the right to upset my entire day and leave me coping with a screaming child who thought they were going home.

Once I have explained it to parents from my point of view, they understand better.
              WHOA WHAT??? How was he even allowed near other kids as a registered sex offender? Honeslty if I was a parent of one of the other kids I would pull so fast.

Comment

A couple of things. First of all I WAS one of those parents. When I had our son I was working full time at a bank. For the first week I went back to work, I wanted to stop and see him for 20 minutes on my lunch. My lovely provider allowed me that. Yup, I was that person. Well after a week, when I went to the door he was sleeping. Was he? Idk, but that's what she said, so I left without seeing him. She didn't let me in the door. Now as a provider I know she was just tired me of me coming on my lunch, which I get. He was 8 weeks old.

A question. What is the wording for the 24 hours after getting vaccinations?

I have a friend that is unlicensed and does daycare. I think she is nuts. She takes the kids in the car all the time. God forbid something happens, someone hits her. She is not insured. She will be sued so terribly and lose everything. I doubt licensing will do anything to her for being unlicensed if they found out, but the IRS certainly if she is not paying taxes on any of her income. Also, if you have a mortgage here and run a business out of it, are not licensed or insured, they will put force placed insurance on your home. That is crazy expensive. If the bank gives you a loan and she gets in an accident, the people will sue and the bank will be out! I wrote mortgages at the bank that I worked at before opening my daycare and we saw people running businesses out of their home uninsured all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
                  WHOA WHAT??? How was he even allowed near other kids as a registered sex offender? Honeslty if I was a parent of one of the other kids I would pull so fast.
                  The access law does not prevent them in if they have a child enrolled. We are legally allowed to let them in. That is the problem with this law. It assumes parents are safe. Prisons are full of parents. Many of my clients are public safety and don't want others knowing where their kids are.

That is why I only allow them access to their own kid, in the family room. If they want to inspect the playroom for safety, I move all the other kids out. If they want to see the kids play they sit outside and watch through one-sided glass or from a distance on the playground.
                  - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                    The access law does not prevent them in if they have a child enrolled. We are legally allowed to let them in. That is the problem with this law. It assumes parents are safe. Prisons are full of parents. Many of my clients are public safety and don't want others knowing where their kids are.

That is why I only allow them access to their own kid, in the family room. If they want to inspect the playroom for safety, I move all the other kids out. If they want to see the kids play they sit outside and watch through one-sided glass or from a distance on the playground.
                    That is insane. That is wonderful though that you're monitoring.

Comment

I had a parent who wanted to interview a long time ago and she said she wanted to come when the other children were here so she could see how they interact together. How would you respond to that request?

Comment

Originally posted by Firefly View Post
                        I had a parent who wanted to interview a long time ago and she said she wanted to come when the other children were here so she could see how they interact together. How would you respond to that request?
                        I have had similar requests.

The answer is always the same. The law states a parent must have access to THEIR child. They have no right to access of other people's children. I tell them that I have kids in care who's parents specifically chose me BECAUSE I don't allow just anyone access to their kids. So they can come any time to get their own child, but under no circumstances can they hang out with the other kids.

Comment

"Sure. There is gravel parking on the right front side of the property with a viewing bench. Please do not call out to children or disrupt their play. Playground time tomorrow is from 9 am -11 am and again at 3pm-430 pm. Please note area is under video monitoring 24 hours per day. If you would like to return at 6 pm for a tour, just send a quick text. See you tomorrow."

The fence is covered up to 4ft with tennis netting, so the kids can't see the parking area on that side. Also, that neighbor is law enforcement who also has his property video monitored. ::::

Preplanning is your best defense.

I have to allow parents to view the "learning environment", that means classroom culture and relationships. I don't expect that reg to last long, though. It was a kneejerk rule to those allowing biters and violent kids to stay in care.
                          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

"For safety, security and licensing reasons, I do not allow adults that are not documented on my license (trained, background checked provider and substitutes) to interact or observe the children I am responsible for. However, I understand your concerns and if there is ever a time I feel your child is not adapting well or having difficulties, I will communicate that with you."

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              I am required by law to allow parents to drop in any time their child is in attendance.

However, they must take their child with when they leave and if it becomes a regular thing, I won't keep them enrolled.

My state has always required child care providers allow parents access to their child ANY time they show up but just recently changed our laws and now we are not allowed to tell parents they can't pick up at nap time.

We can no longer have that written policy.

Thank goodness I can still have a policy that says "term at will" because any parent that came to pick up regularly during nap would be terminated.
                              LOVE THAT! How do you have it worded in your policies?

We have the same licensing rule. My policies state that parents can come at any time but should be aware that naptime is not a good time. I also require 2 days notice if parents want to spend "extended time" with their child, and I can limit how long those visits can be. Just re-reading it though, I realize I should change that to how long they can spend on the premises with their children.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
                                LOVE THAT! How do you have it worded in your policies?

We have the same licensing rule. My policies state that parents can come at any time but should be aware that naptime is not a good time. I also require 2 days notice if parents want to spend "extended time" with their child, and I can limit how long those visits can be. Just re-reading it though, I realize I should change that to how long they can spend on the premises with their children.
                                I edited my pick up section and nap/rest section to state:

"Parents are always welcome to pick up their child any time during the day, however any pick-up that consistently interferes with the needs of the other children in care may result in termination of services"

During enrollment/tour/interview I VERBALLY tell parents what that means.

As for "visiting" that is not something I would even consider allowing. Our state only says "access" meaning ability to pick up. It does not say anything about visiting. (thank goodness! !)

Comment

Working...
                                X