Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Allow Parents To "Drop In" Anytime They Want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Allow Parents To "Drop In" Anytime They Want?

I had an interview today and one question from the 6 pages she asked was if it’s ok to just drop in anytime. I said, “no” bc it interferes with napping, etc.
    After she left I went online and found most of the questions that she asked me (suggested questions for potential provider). For this particular question, the remarks about daycares saying, “no” stated this was a red flag.

Originally posted by Core12 View Post
    I had an interview today and one question from the 6 pages she asked was if it’s ok to just drop in anytime. I said, “no” bc it interferes with napping, etc.
    After she left I went online and found most of the questions that she asked me (suggested questions for potential provider). For this particular question, the remarks about daycares saying, “no” stated this was a red flag.
    I am required by law to allow parents to drop in any time their child is in attendance.

However, they must take their child with when they leave and if it becomes a regular thing, I won't keep them enrolled.

My state has always required child care providers allow parents access to their child ANY time they show up but just recently changed our laws and now we are not allowed to tell parents they can't pick up at nap time.

We can no longer have that written policy.

Thank goodness I can still have a policy that says "term at will" because any parent that came to pick up regularly during nap would be terminated.

Comment

I dont exactly say no. I say out of courtesy to the other children, their privacy, and my teaching, its best not to drop in. Its distracting for the children and when you leave its going to upset your child, in which case you will be required to take your child with you.

Comment

Originally posted by MomBoss View Post
        I dont exactly say no. I say out of courtesy to the other children, their privacy, and my teaching, its best not to drop in. Its distracting for the children and when you leave its going to upset your child, in which case you will be required to take your child with you.
        I agree with this 100 percent. Also, please don't hold it against her. When you are a mom and researching daycare, you read a lot of horror stories and try to do everything to be proactive and build trust. I can see how saying "no" can be a red flag, especially with the internet, there are all kinds of daycare "checklists" out there that are a little over the top

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
          I agree with this 100 percent. Also, please don't hold it against her. When you are a mom and researching daycare, you read a lot of horror stories and try to do everything to be proactive and build trust. I can see how saying "no" can be a red flag, especially with the internet, there are all kinds of daycare "checklists" out there that are a little over the top
          Agree! People think they can avoid abuse by checking off all the things. I would try and assuage fears by explaining why I have this policy and let her know that I would never deny her access to her child at any time but here is why I am not a fan of the idea. I would also let her know the times that would work best for me for her to drop in and she will be leaving with the child in tow if she did come by to see her child.

It really is too bad that we as providers are seen as “bad” for not wanting to disrupt a childs day and routine. It is extrememly difficult for kids to go back to their day once they see mom or dad if they are not being picked up and then we are left to help them settle while also caring for other children. Not to mention if they come at bad times like nap. Ever have a sibling get picked up due to illness and the parent chooses to keep the other child in care? Its rough.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!!

Love the Daycare Forum and the people in it!

Comment

Being male, if I go into daycare I will be expecting parents to want to be able to check up, but I would also expect them to be realistic. I think by saying they can, most probably never will, but if I were to say they can't, they'd be suspicious.

Like others said, if leaving upsets their child, they will have to come back for him or her.

I would not allow them to hang around though, and would explain to them how they wouldn't like it if someone else's parent were to hang around with their child here.
              Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
              They are also our future.

Comment

I have to allow it...

But I don't have to allow two drop-ins...so if they drop in, it has to be an early pickup.

Comment

Once my husband was going out of town but still had to work the day of his flight. He was going to be gone for 2 weeks and stopped at the daycare to say goodbye to the kids on his way to the airport.

My older (5 year old) understood, but my youngest was around 22 months and DID NOT understand why dad would come and then leave again. Daycare told me it took him an hour to calm down and I felt really really bad. Never again!

Comment

By Utah law...every parent must have access to their child at any time they are in care.

That does NOT mean they can come and hang out and be part of our day.

They must have access to THEIR child. They do not have a right to access to anyone else's child.

I explain to parents that they can come and visit with their child if they want to...but their child will be brought out to spend time with them in the family room (entrance). They may not go down to the playroom and mingle with the other kids.

I let them know that the visit must be fairly short as we have a schedule to keep. It's not fair for example for the child to miss an activity or to not have to clean up etc. because their parent is visiting. If the parent has a ton of time on their hands, they can spend it at home!

We had a problem with a registered sex offender dad who LOVED coming to hang out when I had an "open door" policy. He LOVED access to all those kids. Never, ever again. Only access to THEIR child is allowed.

If their child fusses when they go to leave...they must take the child with them. While they have a right to see their child, they don't have the right to upset my entire day and leave me coping with a screaming child who thought they were going home.

Once I have explained it to parents from my point of view, they understand better.

Comment

When parents ask me, I let them know that according to state regulation, they can drop in at any time and that I will always welcome them at any time. I explain some of the drawbacks of stopping by at certain times of the day (like nap time) and then leaving without their child but then restate that I want them to always feel comfortable to come by at any time. I then talk about the importance of open communication between us and encourage them to talk to me about any concerns they may have.

To be honest, I can't stand it when people drop by. Not because I'm trying to hide anything but I just don't like feeling as though I'm being watched and judged. I think the fact that I stress that they're welcome to stop by at any time makes them feel as if they don't have to. In 21 years of doing dc, I've only ever had one parent (and several members of her family!) feel as though they needed to drop in to try to "catch" me doing something wrong.

Comment

Yes. I allow parents to stop in anytime to visit their child. That being said, they visit only their child. They my are brought into the foyer to visit, and then get their coats and belongings, because, per my contract, I allow one slotted time for drop off and one slotted pick up time daily.

Comment

For my state licensing reads:
                          The facility shall encourage parental involvement and allow parents free access to their children, and to all areas of a child care facility used by the children, to observe or participate.

I am legally unlicensed though. And luckily have not had this issue. However, I don't mind chatting with parents and have a small group so lingering at drop off/pick up isn't a huge deal to me. I don't think anyone wants to hang out here anymore than normal.::

Comment

Originally posted by Core12 View Post
                            "Yes, you can absolutely drop in to pick up your child anytime! I appreciate a heads up during nap hours, as it allows me to make the pick up as least disturbing to the others as possible, but you may drop in to pick up your child at anytime during the day."

Just to add, I did the one pick up/drop off policy for this reason. Other than parental piece of mind, it is usually disruptive to have them drop in, so in exchange for that disruption, I get one less kid to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by MomBoss View Post

My policies state that parents are welcome to visit anytime (unless restricted by a court order) but afternoon naptime isn't a great time. They also state that if parents want an extended visit I need 2 day's notice and that I reserve the right to limit how much time can be spent in visits. (Thank Tom Copeland for those!) Also, parents of previously enrolled children and anyone else need to call to make an appointment.

Comment

Working...
                              X