A Little Help With A Discussion Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Help With A Discussion Please

so.... I interviewed a family Wednesday for my last opening. I haven't really been actively interviewing because I don't need to fill the spot, but it would be nice for the extra $$. The family of a single mother with a 2.3 year old boy.

Thing that make me feel leery of enrolling:
    -showed up almost 15 minutes early for interview

-not up to date on shots, but is in the process of getting up to date. (Talked about this during interview)

-says son was attacked by a dog so he doesn't really like dogs. I have 3, one is a 6 month old puppy. I told her about them over the phone when I scheduled the interview. I was confused a little as on the phone mom had asked when I told her about the dogs if they had anywhere they could go if her son wouldn't leave them alone...???

-brought her child in underwear and took him potty every 10 minutes during interview (color me not impressed)... found out today when she dropped off they have been training for about 2 months. He typically doesn't wear underwear all day because they are out and about so much, he wears diapers. Said he tends to regress in potty training regularly??? (Aka not actually potty trained 🙄 Mom just wants to say the words)
    -calls me this morning wanting to start tomorrow. She's on child care assistance so I tell her earliest I can start them is Monday the 24th. She give a looooong pause and tells me that she has work starting tomorrow, she needs daycare. I explain with my schedule this week it wouldn't be a good time to start a new child. She cuts me off (sounding stressed) and asks if I knew anyone that could watch 2 year old this week... we end the call with she'll see what she can do.
    -about 30 minutes later she calls back, I answer and she says "hello, this is XXX." I respond "hey! " and she pauses and then hangs up... this happened about 45 minutes before lunch.
    -today I moved lunch and nap up by 30 minutes because everyone here was up late or up early and is cranky. During I'm just getting kids down for nap and she calls me again. I let it go to voicemail. About 20 minutes later my doorbell rings. Causing my dogs to bark. Causing all the kids to do what kids do when something like this happens....

I'm flabbergasted because I have a sign on my door that says "we are sleeping! Please DO NOT ring the doorbell!" (In big bold and red letters) followed by "if it's important and before 2:30pm and this sign is up please text or call XXX or come back after 2:30pm." It's a big sign, very brightly colored, can't miss it. I was not going to answer the door, but then a hear knocking... yup, maybe new DCM and toddler are standing at my door to drop off paperwork and what she has for shot records.
    Of course kids are getting up out of bed to see who's at the door, I tell them all to lay back down it's nap time still. Mom says "oh I saw that... but I needed to drop this off and your schedule says..."
    Anyway, to make a long story somewhat shorter, I don't think she will be a good fit. I don't have a good feeling about this. Though some of what has happened can be that "she's doesn't know what she's really doing" her words regarding the potty training. And that she's stressed out trying to find care last minute and having to deal with getting her son up to date with shots.

I just... does any of this send up red flags with anyone else or Am I being to pessimistic?

I would not enroll, too many red flags. This dcm sounds like it would take a lot of energy to deal with.

Comment

I would agree- don't enroll them. Too much already.

Comment

Run away.

Comment

The whole situation seems like a major red flag.

This poor gal needs to get her ducks in a row as it appears she is walking chaos.

Listen to your instincts... They're usually spot on.

Comment

There's no way I would enroll after all that. Just reading about it made me cringe ::

Comment

Has she made any payments to you at all?
              She does sound flaky and not prepared at all. But it also sounds like a lot is going on in her life at the moment. I'd probably give it my trial period of 2 weeks and see if it looks any different.

Comment

one word

run

Comment

LOL!!!! Others can given great insight but really I am cracking up this would make a good TV show.

Comment

She is all kinds a crazy and we can all smell it from here

Comment

8 pounds of crazy in a four pound box.

Comment

Ok, so it looks like it's not just me... I've been kinda a pessimist lately and wanted to make sure my "gut" was not overreacting.

I'd hate to turn someone away for lame reasons when it's so very hard to find spots here for the 2.5 and under crowd.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that ringing the doorbell during naptime is the unwritten 8th mortal sin! You don't want her at your house when the Karma train hits her!

Honestly, ringing the doorbell at naptime when there's a sign (that she read) asking her not to is what would have sealed the deal for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                            I'm pretty sure that ringing the doorbell during naptime is the unwritten 8th mortal sin! You don't want her at your house when the Karma train hits her!

Honestly, ringing the doorbell at naptime when there's a sign (that she read) asking her not to is what would have sealed the deal for me.
                            Ditto
                            That, on top of all else, unless I was desperate, no way.

Mike

Comment

I Remembered about the Alaska court case look up that licensing told me to do for enrolling families... well I ran it for the family that turned in paperwork today and the reason mom needs care on such short notice is She filled for domestic violence with a minor present just a few weeks ago and for a long term restraining order against some guy with a long domestic violence history and her court date is tomorrow....

I was planning to send her an email tomorrow telling her that I think we aren't going to be a good fit... How would you word it if this was you? Would any of this new information change your opinion of "yay" or "nah"?

Comment

Working...
                              X