Parent Wants to Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC I love that response.

I think if you say no than an explanation is very helpful to the parent.

When I was on the parent side of daycare, we asked to visit before enrolling (because I thought that's what good parents did ) and had a daycare tell us no because she 'just doesn't do that really.' It was one deciding factor in not enrolling because we didn't understand the issue with it.

Had someone explained why, we would have been understanding it totally makes sense to me now.

Comment

Yes, and I allow it.

BUT, it's on my terms. I don't allow them to just come hang out. But I do invite new families to come be here for circle time and one activity. Then they have to go home.

If I told them it was against the rules all they'd have to do is read my licsening regs to know I was lying.

Comment

I allow them to come during circle time or outdoor time, max 30 minutes.

Comment

Once a family has officially enrolled (turned in all paper work and deposit), I schedule a 15-20 minutes visit during outdoor time at the end of the day a week or two before the child starts so the child can meet the other children and the parents can meet some of the current parents when they arrive for pick up. So far this has worked out well and I get a feel of how the child and family will blend with my current families and kind of know how the trial period will end.

Comment

Originally posted by hwichlaz View Post
            Yes, and I allow it.

BUT, it's on my terms. I don't allow them to just come hang out. But I do invite new families to come be here for circle time and one activity. Then they have to go home.

If I told them it was against the rules all they'd have to do is read my licsening regs to know I was lying.
            Most licensing regs in most states say that parents must have access to their children at all times. I am in Utah and that is what my regs say. They also say that a parent must be able to see the daycare and inspect the areas their child spends their time at any time their child is in care.

But I do NOT allow visits to "observe". They can have access to their child at any time. They CANNOT have access to, and have no right to view other people's children. If they drop by, their child is brought out to them in another room from the other children. If their child fusses when they leave, they must take the child with them.

If anyone asked to see the playroom, they would have to wait until we removed all the other children before they were allowed to go there. I would also term anyone who wanted that. It shows a complete lack of trust. My playroom is inspected by licensing and that report is available to them at any time.

Licensing know exactly how I do it and they like it.

Some parents will try and use the "access" rule against a provider thinking they can come and hang out any time they please. Not so.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
              Most licensing regs in most states say that parents must have access to their children at all times. I am in Utah and that is what my regs say. They also say that a parent must be able to see the daycare and inspect the areas their child spends their time at any time their child is in care.

But I do NOT allow visits to "observe". They can have access to their child at any time. They CANNOT have access to, and have no right to view other people's children. If they drop by, their child is brought out to them in another room from the other children. If their child fusses when they leave, they must take the child with them.

If anyone asked to see the playroom, they would have to wait until we removed all the other children before they were allowed to go there. I would also term anyone who wanted that. It shows a complete lack of trust. My playroom is inspected by licensing and that report is available to them at any time.

Licensing know exactly how I do it and they like it.

Some parents will try and use the "access" rule against a provider thinking they can come and hang out any time they please. Not so.
              My front door is right in my main room where I provide care. Just dropping a child off or picking them up exposes them to the entire group.

Comment

My front door is right in my main room where I provide care. Just dropping a child off or picking them up exposes them to the entire group.
                But you can still say no to hanging around You can also refuse them access past the front door. Any parent within touching distance of someone else's child is a liability.

Comment

Yep and nope. I have long term clients who are foster parents. I simply tell parents that to protect the children's privacy-as well as that of all my charges, I cannot allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
                    But you can still say no to hanging around You can also refuse them access past the front door. Any parent within touching distance of someone else's child is a liability.
                    Kinda. I have to allow them access to licensed areas while their child is in care. I don't have to let them hang out...but I need to be reasonable too. I have a few kids, one who is clingy and sad right now because mom is doing chemo and is obviously ill, who stays for about 5-10min to get her daughter settled. About have of my parents help their child get their things into their cubby, then walk them over to get them settled into whatever the current activity is. The other half dump and run, .

Comment

Kinda. I have to allow them access to licensed areas while their child is in care. I don't have to let them hang out...but I need to be reasonable too. I have a few kids, one who is clingy and sad right now because mom is doing chemo and is obviously ill, who stays for about 5-10min to get her daughter settled. About have of my parents help their child get their things into their cubby, then walk them over to get them settled into whatever the current activity is. The other half dump and run, .
                      And so do they.
                      I find it extremely disrespectful when parents don't (or won't) understand that these types of disruptions can be detrimental to your day.
                      I mean, not just the privacy and liability factors, but the routine! Kids thrive on routine. Some parent comes waltzing in at 11:00 to "observe" just disrupted the transition from potty break/diaper changes to lunch. Instead of 5 minutes of diaper time, it turns to 15 trying to quiet the chaos the parent created within the room... 10 more minutes trying to get them to lunch, which is now late, which means nap is now late, which means I have to cut time from an activity or outside play.
                      Yeah, just not happening.

Comment

Working...
                      X