Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
    You said a mouthful, there.

QRIS takes the joy out of childcare. I hope things look up for you, soon :hug:
    QRIS, in the end, will suck the life right out of you if you let it. Actually, it sucks the life out of every child care entity that is attempting to guide/lead. There is definitely no love loss when it come to QRIS....that is why they stand alone but wreak so much havoc.

Comment

:hug::hug::hug:

Comment

You said a mouthful, there.

QRIS takes the joy out of childcare. I hope things look up for you, soon :hug:
        They are planning on changing the QRS level requirements in my state. The first way it was set up was great, attainable and did increase quality. The new way is more and more training, paperwork, time outside of work having conferences with parents, training and doing unnecessary paperwork. They sent us a survey to fill out about new requirements and I was 100% truthful about what I thought about the new requirements. IMO a number one necessity for quality care is that the provider has "me" time or "family time" but they seem to have forgotten about that along with the fact that quality care means being dependable (can't be that if I'm always closing for trainings or hosting people from QRS to be assessed during working hours when I need to be watching and interacting with children. I know a few home providers who are rated 5 stars in my state. I subscribe to their business pages and they either close a ton for different QRS activities or have a sub working for them. So basically the provider who has done all these things to be rated so highly is workingwith the children less and less but hey they have 5 stars!

Comment

Originally posted by nanglgrl View Post
          They are planning on changing the QRS level requirements in my state. The first way it was set up was great, attainable and did increase quality. The new way is more and more training, paperwork, time outside of work having conferences with parents, training and doing unnecessary paperwork. They sent us a survey to fill out about new requirements and I was 100% truthful about what I thought about the new requirements. IMO a number one necessity for quality care is that the provider has "me" time or "family time" but they seem to have forgotten about that along with the fact that quality care means being dependable (can't be that if I'm always closing for trainings or hosting people from QRS to be assessed during working hours when I need to be watching and interacting with children. I know a few home providers who are rated 5 stars in my state. I subscribe to their business pages and they either close a ton for different QRS activities or have a sub working for them. So basically the provider who has done all these things to be rated so highly is workingwith the children less and less but hey they have 5 stars!
          Providers here have been this EXACT route....it just keeps getting piled on so the provider will fail, in my opinion. It becomes a game and the provider decides if she will PLAY. Most providers give up their license and the state actually thinks these people are not keeping kids when, in fact, they are running their programs just like before without the QRIS chaos. AND YES providers here have met with legislators but have gotten nowhere and have GIVEN UP! NO sense in trying. After 15 years it is here to stay till all FCC QUITS!

Comment

I'm so sorry you're going through this. So far stars is voluntary in my state. I'll probably retire when it becomes mandatory.
            Sometimes a big change can be something that helps-so maybe the move will help a little bit for you? I have no advice-just hoping things look up for you:hug:

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
              AND YES providers here have met with legislators but have gotten nowhere and have GIVEN UP! NO sense in trying. After 15 years it is here to stay till all FCC QUITS!

Have you seen this :confused: Will this have any effect on QRIS?

*Whether "some or all of the functions of an agency, a component, or a program are appropriate for the federal government or would be better left to state or local governments or to the private sector through free enterprise";

*Whether "some or all of the functions of an agency, a component, or a program are redundant, including with those of another agency, component, or program";

*Whether "certain administrative capabilities necessary for operating an agency, a component, or a program are redundant with those of another agency, component, or program";

*Whether the "costs of continuing to operate an agency, a component, or a program are justified by the public benefits it provides"; and "The costs of shutting down or merging agencies, components, or programs, including the costs of addressing the equities of affected agency staff."

Hang on Daycare, maybe we still have a fighting chance. happyface "Dear Mrs. Betsy, "
              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

http://e-news.edweek.org/ct/92396435...608A43EFE40F:r

*Whether "some or all of the functions of an agency, a component, or a program are appropriate for the federal government or would be better left to state or local governments or to the private sector through free enterprise";

*Whether "some or all of the functions of an agency, a component, or a program are redundant, including with those of another agency, component, or program";

*Whether "certain administrative capabilities necessary for operating an agency, a component, or a program are redundant with those of another agency, component, or program";

*Whether the "costs of continuing to operate an agency, a component, or a program are justified by the public benefits it provides"; and "The costs of shutting down or merging agencies, components, or programs, including the costs of addressing the equities of affected agency staff."

Hang on Daycare, maybe we still have a fighting chance. happyface "Dear Mrs. Betsy, "
                From my understanding, QRIS is a federal program that originates in the Health and Human Services department and NOT the Dept of Education. (makes perfect sense right?)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  From my understanding, QRIS is a federal program that originates in the Health and Human Services department and NOT the Dept of Education. (makes perfect sense right?)
                  Ugh. And all this *drama* started when we were moved from under the Health and Human Services umbrella TO the Department of Education umbrella, here.
                  - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

The state has thought about putting us under Dept of Education before....but never came about. I really think they don't know what to do with us and that is the problem::

Comment

Originally posted by nanglgrl View Post
                      I'm in Iowa also this and all the crazy DHS rules have burnt me out. I am now unregistered with 5 children under 2 and I'm the happiest I have been. I have great parents (except the screamer family I just terminated) and none of them care that I am unregistered. We play and do things on our schedule and it is fun. My stress level has be reduced so much.

Comment

Originally posted by slpender View Post
                        I'm in Iowa also this and all the crazy DHS rules have burnt me out. I am now unregistered with 5 children under 2 and I'm the happiest I have been. I have great parents (except the screamer family I just terminated) and none of them care that I am unregistered. We play and do things on our schedule and it is fun. My stress level has be reduced so much.
                        Licensing is fine for the most part here...we get 4-6 annual visits from them depending on your stars.....the problem comes in when health/environment, fire or food program have different rules than licensing. Health/env comes twice annually, and fire once....fp comes every 3 months so we have someone in our daycare monthly pretty much. All have to be passed annually to relicense for another year. These entities are tolerable and attainable.

BUT QRIS is a whole different ballgame....it stands on its own. QRIS is what burnt and continues to burn providers out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
                          The state has thought about putting us under Dept of Education before....but never came about. I really think they don't know what to do with us and that is the problem::
                          My understanding and someone please correct me if I am wrong. But California is under the department of education.

Comment

Great article. I will keep my fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                              My understanding and someone please correct me if I am wrong. But California is under the department of education.
                              We are under the Dept of Human Services.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                                Child Care might be under Department of Education in CA but QRIS is a federal program that is embedded in the Department of Health and Human Services.... in CA, the Dept of Ed might over see it and implement it but it still comes from the dept of HHS at the federal level.

Like the food program...it's federal too but each state manages it in whatever department regulates child care.

I'm in MN and child care is "governed" under Depart of HHS here too.

Comment

Working...
                                X