Dogs In Your Daycare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for sharing.
    I wonder if I could give my dog her own spot, high enough so the kids can't touch her, but that allows her to still be close to us.

Comment

I'm with Josiegirl, we have one black lab and he always wants to be with me and the kids, and he usually lays out of the way of the kids. There are times I will not let him out there if there are a lot of kids and if he's in the way and I NEVER leave him out there alone with the kids

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
        My regs say the dogs can only be around the kids when written into the daily curriculum and only for the duration of that particular lesson.

Also, there is a list of specific breeds I cannot have on the property. Added to the ban list are many reptiles and small fuzzy mammals that some people find "icky".

I can't even have a little green garden snake. My favorite as a kid.

EEK! The only thing I know of banned here are turtles.

I have a lizard, snake, tarantula, dd has a chinchilla she brings out sometimes, too.

Comment

Mine isn't "separated" but he chooses to lounge in the living room or a bedroom and not the daycare space. He does use the daycare entry door to go potty and he makes sure all crumbs are clear after meals. I don't not let him in playroom but he chooses to stay out. He will occasionally come in or walk over to the door and look around but that's about it. He's a poodle Maltese ****zhu mix. 14 pounds and 10 years old.

Comment

My regs say the dogs can only be around the kids when written into the daily curriculum and only for the duration of that particular lesson.

Also, there is a list of specific breeds I cannot have on the property. Added to the ban list are many reptiles and small fuzzy mammals that some people find "icky".

When I opened we had rats as our classroom pets. When I was up for a relicensing my regular rep was temporarily assigned elsewhere. The temp rep was so freaked out by them she wouldn't relicense me till I got rid of them. I was new enough I didn't fight her on it. Still hacks me off thinking about it.

Comment

Gus, my Westie...is part of our daycare. He gets kisses in the morning (from the parents too!) and at night. And he loves to play ball with the kids in the back yard.

The rest of the time, he's usually asleep on the back of the couch!

Comment

I have 1 dog, shes medium sized and she is right with me all day. She can't stand not to be in the middle of it all. She's wonderful around the kids. For me that's what works.
                Deb

Comment

I have a big fat old beagle and he's with us in preschool when he wants to be and is outside or on his bed when he doesn't want to be. The kids and parents love him and the kids really leave him alone for the most part. The kids really LOVE my cat, though and will swarm around her when she's brave enough to come in the room. She tolerates them for about 3 minutes then she escapes!

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer View Post
                    Home daycare people --
                    what do you do with your dogs? Do you allow them near the kids?
                    I have 2 dogs, I keep them separate from the kids....dogs are locked up in part of the house away from daycare when the kids are outside, and dogs are outside running in the yard when the kids are inside

Comment

Where do you live? I have a dog, two geckos and rats :P

Comment

We have a Cocker Spaniel and I keep her put away while we're inside because she tends to get underfoot and tinkles easily in the house when excited and will try to escape if by the front door. I let her out during outside times so that way she can go potty and get some energy out and so she's not cooped up all day. Parents are told this when we are on the tour.

Comment

I have three dogs (German Shepherd, Tibetan Terrier, and Havanese)
                          They and kids are separated.

Comment

I'm license exempt since I care for less than 5 children. I looked into licensing and, when I found out that I couldn't have my dogs in the daycare space, I decided licensing wasn't for me 😊

I have an 80 lb American Bulldog (she's my daughter's pet) and a 2 lb Mini Chihuahua puppy (she's my baby). The chihuahua is separated for her safety, except under certain circumstances and only for brief periods. Otherwise, she's in the bedroom with my daughter (12) while she homeschools, or in the dining room with my son (13) while he works on his lessons. The Bulldog (4.5) comes in and snoozes on a rug from time to time, otherwise she hangs out with my daughter as well (she is my daughter's dog). If she ever gets hyper, she is sent out of the room.

They both come outside with us, but 1 of my children is assigned to directly supervise the chihuahua (both for her protection and because she can fit through the chainlink fence if she ever tried).

Both are in my daughter's room in the morning for drop-off and in the evening for pick-up time.

Comment

Working...
                            X