Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Trampolines...?

Hi everyone...

My 7 year old is a gymnast and has been begging for a tramp for a couple of years now. I have resisted due to obvious liability risks with with the daycare. Next fall I am going to begin homeschooling my kids, and I will begin a school-age only before and after school program. I am wondering if this might make it possible to get her a tramp finally or if it's just a bad idea all around...? I haven't even checked with licensing to see if its permitted yet. Just wondering if anyone has had one. If so what rules/safety liability protections did you put in place for its use. Would you give a green or red light on the idea? Thanks for any input!

Originally posted by kidcrazednluvingit View Post
    Hi everyone...

My 7 year old is a gymnast and has been begging for a tramp for a couple of years now. I have resisted due to obvious liability risks with with the daycare. Next fall I am going to begin homeschooling my kids, and I will begin a school-age only before and after school program. I am wondering if this might make it possible to get her a tramp finally or if it's just a bad idea all around...? I haven't even checked with licensing to see if its permitted yet. Just wondering if anyone has had one. If so what rules/safety liability protections did you put in place for its use. Would you give a green or red light on the idea? Thanks for any input!
    I have a very small trampoline that is about two inches off the ground attached to my small swing set and licensing was okay with it. It's not netted all around but has pool noodle material around the hand bars and a net blocking it from the swinging portion.

I am sure a trampoline is fine so long as you have a net that isn't torn around it. I have also seen some cool stuff online about trampolines dug into the ground so it's not high up and then they still put a net around it for safety. If I were to get a real trampoline that's how I think I would do it to prevent obvious liabilities that come with having a trampoline.

You could also possibly get one and not permit daycare children to use it as well but may be harder if you're doing only/mainly school agers. It would be easier to tell someone under 5 "no trampoline only for the bigger kiddos sorry hunny!"

Comment

Here in MD we can not have trampolines on the property.

Comment

I personally love a trampoline but we don't, and probably wont ever, have one. Our regs, in WV, say Trampolines shall not be accessible to the children in care. Also, our homeowners policy says that we can't have one. I'm sure there are homeowner policies that would allow one, but I like my current company so I've never felt the need to seek coverage elsewhere; we'll just stick to the trampoline parks and not have one here.

Comment

We used to have a smaller little tikes trampoline we purchased for my DD's 3rd birthday. DCK's were not allowed on it (you could lock the zipper.) When ever I got liability insurance quotes they always asked if I had one. Here, it makes insurance rates go up or renders you uninsurable all together depending on the company.

Comment

Check with licensing first. We cannot have them on the premises in CA.

Comment

Originally posted by crunchymama View Post
              I personally love a trampoline but we don't, and probably wont ever, have one. Our regs, in WV, say Trampolines shall not be accessible to the children in care. Also, our homeowners policy says that we can't have one. I'm sure there are homeowner policies that would allow one, but I like my current company so I've never felt the need to seek coverage elsewhere; we'll just stick to the trampoline parks and not have one here.
              Same

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Beluga View Post
                We used to have a smaller little tikes trampoline we purchased for my DD's 3rd birthday. DCK's were not allowed on it (you could lock the zipper.) When ever I got liability insurance quotes they always asked if I had one. Here, it makes insurance rates go up or renders you uninsurable all together depending on the company.
                Good info! I hadn't even considered how it would change my policy!

Comment

We have always had a trampoline but DCK's have NEVER been allowed on it. I only take kids 4 and under so its never been an issue, they can't get up there. My own kids love it. I have a rectangular one, it has a different jump than a round - great for tumbling (I have a cheerleader).

Comment

If it were allowed on the property, i would never let dcks on it regardless of age

Comment

Definitely check with licensing first, as there is a good chance that they are not permitted. As others have mentioned, this could also affect your insurance policy. Here at DCI, a trampoline does not render someone uninsurable, but if a claim were to arise out of a trampoline injury, it would not be covered. So definitely check with both your homeowners insurance and your liability insurance as well.
                      DC Insurance Services, Inc.
                      (800) 624-0912
                      www.dcins.com

Comment

We have one but my license excludes daycare children from using it. My children are on it constantly! We have a large square one with a safety enclosure. We ordered it from sams club.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I talked to my licensor and she said there is a rule but she couldn't remember and she would get back to me. If it is allowed on the premise I may do what some of you recommended and just not open it up for dck use... I'm not sure it wouldn't be a huge headache though... I appreciate all the input!

Comment

Originally posted by kidcrazednluvingit View Post
                            ....... she said there is a rule but she couldn't remember ....
                            Not fair! I'd write her up! ::::::

Comment

My homeowner's insurance alone could drop us if we had one

Comment

Working...
                              X