Big Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Changes

Well, I have officially closed my doors. I am a part of the statistic of new daycares closing within 2 years of opening. I have a sadness but a happiness.

I interviewed for a position and I was offered the job the next day. I put in my notice with my one family to say I was closing. They were not happy and even insulted me when they noticed I let my license close. I didn't see the point in renewing my license if I was not going to do childcare anymore. They mentioned that they were paying for licensed childcare as if that matters. I am legally unlicensed and let them know I am legal and all of my certifications are still valid as well as my childcare experience.

Then today they give me a 1099, which now I have to explain why I can't fill that out. Sigh.

Needless to say, although I enjoyed my time doing childcare...I will not miss it. In my new position, I won't have to explain myself, wipe and smell poop , deal with sick kids except for my own, and I get to take back my home. Now I realize how exhausting it was making my home available to these families and feeling like I was in a fishbowl, feeling like I had no privacy. These are feelings I have just realized. I didn't realize how on edge it made me.

I respect all you ladies and gents that do this ever important career. I just couldn't wait for income to come in in my position, as I've wrote on other threads. I still peek in to the thread because I feel attached to all you guys on the forum. I am currently looking for daycare for my son and man, it's hard. I wish some of you lived closer!

Congratulations on your new job and position!

Comment

Good for you!happyface

Funny how some parents think we are not allowed to quit our job

Comment

I totally get it! I am at home to raise my daughter because the quality of providers out there leaves a lot to be desired. With that in mind I wish you luck in finding a great place for your child

Enjoy your new job and all the best :hug:

Comment

Good luck!!!!!!:hug:

Congrats on the job! What will you be doing?

Comment

Good luck on the new job.happyfacehappyface

Comment

Congrats!

Question: Why can't you fill out the W-10?

- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                Good luck!!!!!!:hug:

Congrats on the job! What will you be doing?
                I got an admin. asst. position at a law firm. I'm going to school for my paralegal degree so I'll gain so much experience. I am so excited. Thanks!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Just being curious what part of the job made you decide to close? I ask since I am a complete newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                    Congrats!

Question: Why can't you fill out the 1099?
                    The family owns a business and looking through the forum, Tom Copeland advises against it because of the status of being self-employed and you are not considered employed by the families. And also the fact that you are running your business in your home, not in theirs or their business property. It looks like you can be audited because the 1099 form means you are working for the business and not providing a personal service.

They need to claim the childcare tax credit and that is considered a personal expense not a business one from what I understand.

And Thanks!

Comment

Sorry... 1099 was a typo for me. I edited. I posted info on the W-10 short form. ::
                      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by CityGarden View Post
                        Congrats!!!

Just being curious what part of the job made you decide to close? I ask since I am a complete newbie.
                        It wasn't a decision based on the job at all. I had 4 families, one family had three children with me. In August I lost 2, and at the beginning of October I lost the family with 3 children. In my area, most are looking for infant care, I compete with a lot of centers so most only stay in care during the infant and toddler years, even though I do a preschool program.

I couldn't gain new business quick enough and couldn't wait until after the holidays to start new business. I tried everything, so I started putting in my resume and left it up to God. Whichever came first is what I would do. So that was my sign.

I was planning on running my daycare at least for the next 2 years but I lost income too fast in such a short amount of time that I had to do something. I'm sad but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                          Sorry... 1099 was a typo for me. I edited. I posted info on the W-10 short form. ::
                          Oh! :: Yeah I am planning on getting those out to my families in January and already signed HSA/FSA paperwork for 2 of my families.

Comment

Good luck.
                            It's hard letting go, but it sounds like you have a great opportunity ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
                              The family owns a business and looking through the forum, Tom Copeland advises against it because of the status of being self-employed and you are not considered employed by the families. And also the fact that you are running your business in your home, not in theirs or their business property. It looks like you can be audited because the 1099 form means you are working for the business and not providing a personal service.

They need to claim the childcare tax credit and that is considered a personal expense not a business one from what I understand.

And Thanks!
                              She shouldn't fill out the 1099, she isn't a subcontractor for them.

W-10 is the appropriate form.

If a family insulted me, they would be out that day. DONE.

Good luck on your new career!

Comment

Working...
                              X