Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At What Age Should Children Start Wiping Their Own Bottoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At What Age Should Children Start Wiping Their Own Bottoms?

Hello,

First time parent here. I have a question my son is 2yrs old and he turns 3 in December. At his daycare he is in the 3yr old class.

Today we find out from the teacher she does not wipe bottoms. The kids are supposed to be self sufficient. Meaning they can go to the potty on their own, wash hands and apparently wipe their own behinds. The teacher really doesn't do anything at all ( barely keep the facility clean ) as we have noted on more than one occasion remains on the toilet seat and other bad practices.

So, is this the normal thing for a 2yr old or should the teacher wipe his behind?

Thanks
    Mike

Once a child can use the toilet they are taught to wipe, not use too much t-paper then they're on their own. I don't wipe. Never had. They learn quickly.

Comment

Yep-that's my policy.
      If the cleanliness of the facility and work ethic of the teacher truly concerns you, I would look for a new daycare, as both are reflections of what type of care your child might be receiving
      Last edited by Poptarts22; 09-22-2016, 04:42 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

I actually was discussing this with a parent today who has a three year old in a well respected preschool program in our community and this is also their policy.

Comment

Exactly. They learn quickly and can't learn how to do it better if someone is doing it for them. If your child's not wiping well you should work on that at home and let his time at daycare be his practice. At that age children need to know that those body parts should not be touched by other people and they can start to feel uncomfortable having someone wipe them because they realize going potty should be an independent activity.
          Look at it no different than giving your child a spoon, fork or a cup without a lid around 1 1/2. They don't use them well and make lots of messes at first but within a few months they do great. If you wait to give them the fork, spoon and cup without a lid until they're 5 they will make lots of messes at first and within a few months they will do great. Same with wiping, 0utting on clothes, shoes, washing hands, brushing teeth etc. practice makes perfect.

Comment

there is no set age. I belive that it all depends on what they have been exposed to and how much someone has let them practice. I have two year olds that don't need my help, but 5 year olds who do.

If anyone is unskilled in something, we can't expect them to do it on their own. Does not matter how old we are.

I belive that learning is a process and everyone has to start some where. its not at a certain age, it's when you start them.

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies.

We are working with him at home. I just didn't believe 2yr olds were that proficient at wiping on their own ( my ignorance ). I would think a bare minimum they would need monitoring and assistance if needed.

Comment

Depends on the child. Once they are potty trained, most learn how to wipe their own butts pretty quickly, but some do take longer. Been a while since I babysat little ones, but I remember one who had trouble getting the hang of it. I always taught by letting them do it themselves, then would help a bit if needed, but otherwise let the child know they did good, but not quite good enough and have them finish it. Most were good enough to leave on their own in a short time.
                Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
                They are also our future.

Comment

Originally posted by mike929 View Post

We are working with him at home. I just didn't believe 2yr olds were that proficient at wiping on their own ( my ignorance ). I would think a bare minimum they would need monitoring and assistance if needed.
                  Until they get the hang of it, yes. A 2 yo would take a bit longer to get the hang of it than a 2.5 yo. Kids potty train at different ages and speeds.
                  Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
                  They are also our future.

Comment

I have the kids do it......if they don't have it down yet, I check and say, "clean as a whistle."

Comment

I expect all my children to be able to at least make a good effort. Except for especially messy poops and some special needs children, I don't typically need to assist the children in my class. There are a couple always require extra supervision in the bathroom, though.

My class is 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 years old.

I agree that if the cleanliness of the bathrooms is concerning, you should speak to the director or consider looking at other programs.

Comment

Lot's a great info, thank you very much. This is just the start of "our" learning process

Comment

Lot's a great info, thank you very much. This is just the start of "our" learning process
                          I don't help kids wipe after they are in underwear either BUT I have no issues helping a kid get there. If your son is still learning/trying and does need a bit assistance or even a quick check after he wipes just ask your provider. Its temporary until he learns to do it 100% on his own and not that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                            I don't help kids wipe after they are in underwear either BUT I have no issues helping a kid get there. If your son is still learning/trying and does need a bit assistance or even a quick check after he wipes just ask your provider. Its temporary until he learns to do it 100% on his own and not that big of a deal.
                            Thanks, I now understand. Hopefully we will get him thru this quick, fast and in a hurry. We've already spoke to the teacher and the director. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                              there is no set age. I belive that it all depends on what they have been exposed to and how much someone has let them practice. I have two year olds that don't need my help, but 5 year olds who do.

If anyone is unskilled in something, we can't expect them to do it on their own. Does not matter how old we are.

I belive that learning is a process and everyone has to start some where. its not at a certain age, it's when you start them.
                              Agreed!

I have them try, and then do a check wipe until they're proficient. Usually happens fast, but that depends on the kid...(and the BM) ::

Comment

Working...
                              X