No announcement yet.

Are You a "Teacher"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But CalCare, while that all sounds great, look at how much time it takes out of a caregiver's day. Or out of their own free time spent nurturing their own families. We could spend all of our days doing those things, taking pictures of our activities, writing out dcf's notes/newsletters about the activities we've done OR we could spend half our day writing down step by step what we're doing, why we're doing it, what each and every child is learning/needs/wants from each and every activity. And the dcks are left to their own devices. It all boils down to so much time away from the care of the kids themselves.
    How does a provider do it all??? Especially when a lot of us are doing it by ourselves??
    All of my own kids turned out well. I do the same with all my dcks, that I did for them. I find little opportunities all day long to ask questions, let them ask questions, observe, read, etc., etc. But to sit there and break it all down into steps.....I don't know. It all seems overwhelming and a bit much.

Comment

Josie, you do it the same way every unschooling parent does it--you study how children learn, develop your own philosophy of early education, ensure that the environment facilitates that education, come up with a loose plan ahead of time, observe while the learning takes place, jot down whatever notes you need at the moment, and then translate it into language the school system will accept. You're probably already doing a lot of that right now, but yes, it takes practice to get comfortable jumping through all the gov't hoops. Researching homeschooling family blogs will probably help.

Comment

I agree, it takes a extra time, and for what? And how can one person do it all? I don't know. But I just don't agree with the notion that planning a curriculum is awful and even absurd for babies- because, really, all it means is that you are making a few plans in the best interest of the child. Where people get messed up, I think, is believing the word "curriculum" means academics. "Curriculum" really means care giving activities at these young ages- and "curriculum planning" means doing it consciously. And of course, planning the environment conscientiously as well - not constantly asking questions and directing things. I'm all about the free play. But I can lesson plan it and facilitate it through an intentional environment.

At the same time, I don't have 5 children M-F, 6 AM to 6 PM. I don't know how someone could fit their planning in when they have a 12 hour work day and no breaks and no help :/ It's easy to say what we would do if we were in a position, quite another to actually do it, when in that position! I just agree with the idea of thinking ahead and planning. It keeps me focused and gets me to do things that wouldn't otherwise get done. Now should that method be mandatory - and therefore we then call child care providers "teachers" because they write down lesson plans? Idk. I feel like I was exposed to the best of both worlds because as I was taking my ECE classes I had my first son, we went to a co-op like Bev Bos'. One director was a by the book, curriculum developer (she was formerly the director of the college ECE program) and the other "assistant" director was completely free, emergent curriculum, daily to the point she could hardly stand to have the season written down in the planner because that was too much teacher directing lessons! After three years there as the chair of the children's curriculum committee, in the end, I guess, I became some of each style. So, I like the idea of having a plan, but making it completely child centered/initiated. And, I feel like if I am doing all this, and I have years of experience and education in this, then yes, I am a "teacher".

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          Nothing surprising about this at all.

QRIS anyone?!?! That is the whole point.... to require providers to ready the kids for school. To educate them.

Slowly most state rules and regulations are focusing more and more on EDUCATION components and less on care components.

Many states no longer list child care under the Department of Health and Human Services but instead redefined it to meet the requirements to be listed under the Department of Education.

This change is coming for everyone sooner or later.
          it started off as "optional"
          then required ONLY IF you do x, y or z
          and soon it WILL be mandatory. for all.
          I agree! Just got a mass email this week wanting my thoughts on what OP posted....Although the masses "get it", it doesn't mean I or anyone else "agrees with it". You are EXACTLY right.....It is only a matter of time till it is mandatory for ALL....At my age, I am in FCC for the long haul, it is who I am and have been and will continue to be but I would NOT encourage anyone to enter the child care field. Actually, I have entertained the thought of quitting many times over the past few years, but I have invested too much into my child care program.??

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
            *emphasis mine. YES!! You know what happens when day care employees finally get a degree?! They LEAVE because they can't pay off student loans making $9 an hour.
            Until they address how providers are going to make the amount of money necessary to fund the degree, they are creating a bad situation.
            As QRIS reared it's ugly head in my state many years ago, the state made funding possible for providers to obtain ECE degrees, CDAs, etc....I knew this "free education/money" would lead to something down the road. While I am thankful I took advantage of this funding and received my degree and CDA along with other beneficial training, I still do not agree with many of the changes that have happened and are happening and will happen. I do not have, nor did I ever have student loans but as funding has decreased, providers today may have student loans if they are forced to obtain college education.

Comment

Originally posted by CalCare View Post
              I agree, it takes a extra time, and for what? And how can one person do it all? I don't know. But I just don't agree with the notion that planning a curriculum is awful and even absurd for babies- because, really, all it means is that you are making a few plans in the best interest of the child. Where people get messed up, I think, is believing the word "curriculum" means academics. "Curriculum" really means care giving activities at these young ages- and "curriculum planning" means doing it consciously. And of course, planning the environment conscientiously as well - not constantly asking questions and directing things. I'm all about the free play. But I can lesson plan it and facilitate it through an intentional environment.

At the same time, I don't have 5 children M-F, 6 AM to 6 PM. I don't know how someone could fit their planning in when they have a 12 hour work day and no breaks and no help :/ It's easy to say what we would do if we were in a position, quite another to actually do it, when in that position! I just agree with the idea of thinking ahead and planning. It keeps me focused and gets me to do things that wouldn't otherwise get done. Now should that method be mandatory - and therefore we then call child care providers "teachers" because they write down lesson plans? Idk. I feel like I was exposed to the best of both worlds because as I was taking my ECE classes I had my first son, we went to a co-op like Bev Bos'. One director was a by the book, curriculum developer (she was formerly the director of the college ECE program) and the other "assistant" director was completely free, emergent curriculum, daily to the point she could hardly stand to have the season written down in the planner because that was too much teacher directing lessons! After three years there as the chair of the children's curriculum committee, in the end, I guess, I became some of each style. So, I like the idea of having a plan, but making it completely child centered/initiated. And, I feel like if I am doing all this, and I have years of experience and education in this, then yes, I am a "teacher".
              In general, I like the idea of high quality standards and some curriculum in child care. I don't mind the planning and I love teaching.

But . . . I have a few concerns with QRIS and requiring higher education for teachers. The first is that requiring child care providers to have degrees drives the price way up. We have QRIS here in Oregon and certified providers are required to be a step 8 on the Oregon registry. That means they need an Associate's. The average cost of care is $900 a month for a preschooler. (Family child care rate)

The other concern I have is that the government loves standardization. I attended the QRIS workshop here and there was an approved list of curriculum to choose from. I would hate for that to become a nationwide norm for child care.

I think that one of the great things about preschool and child care is the number of choices that parents have. They can pick a play based, RIE, Reggio, or Montessori child care. Standardization in child care takes those choices away from parents. I certainly hope child care doesn't become "school" for kids birth-5.

Comment

I love planning!
                I love teaching!
                Without it I'd be bored to death!

I have a very play-based program with a very interactive 5-10 minute circle time each day.

I offer a free choice creative area each day ( very Simple with play doh, oil pastel chalk & dark paper, markers, etc.) and also a creative art choice 2-3 times each week.

I'm transitioning to a Montessori & Waldorf inspired play space with basically wooden, felt, cloth, natural toys along with the self-help, activities on trays etc. of Montessori ( I worked in a Montessori preschool for awile)..

I obtained my BA in early childhood/el. Ed, got out of child care for quite some time.

Even before I had the BA (I had an associate in early childhood ) I channeled my inner teacher!

Yes, I am a teacher at heart! But my program is nurturing, dev. appropriate, cozy & homelike!

Comment

Hey, unregistered user, which books/resources do you find most helpful for classroom management/discipline/scheduling in a Montessori early care environment?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    I love planning!
                    I love teaching!
                    Without it I'd be bored to death!

I have a very play-based program with a very interactive 5-10 minute circle time each day.

I offer a free choice creative area each day ( very Simple with play doh, oil pastel chalk & dark paper, markers, etc.) and also a creative art choice 2-3 times each week.

I'm transitioning to a Montessori & Waldorf inspired play space with basically wooden, felt, cloth, natural toys along with the self-help, activities on trays etc. of Montessori ( I worked in a Montessori preschool for awile)..

I obtained my BA in early childhood/el. Ed, got out of child care for quite some time.

Even before I had the BA (I had an associate in early childhood ) I channeled my inner teacher!

Yes, I am a teacher at heart! But my program is nurturing, dev. appropriate, cozy & homelike!
                    It sounds wonderful! I've always been a visual learner, cannot learn anything by someone telling me how to do it or reading about it. I swear I need someone to show me the way. If I could take a walk through of different programs and see how they're managed and offered, I could run with it.

Comment

Does this mean they will stop calling us babysitters? ::

Comment

Originally posted by spedmommy4 View Post
                        I think that one of the great things about preschool and child care is the number of choices that parents have. They can pick a play based, RIE, Reggio, or Montessori child care. Standardization in child care takes those choices away from parents. I certainly hope child care doesn't become "school" for kids birth-5.
                        I am a play based program and am influenced by many of the Montessori and Reggio approaches, philosophies and beliefs.

BOTH are acceptable curriculums for QRIS in my state.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                          I am a play based program and am influenced by many of the Montessori and Reggio approaches, philosophies and beliefs.

BOTH are acceptable curriculums for QRIS in my state.
                          The woman at the training I just attended here was listing off standard prepackaged curriculum when I asked about our approved list. I am waiting for the full list. I am hoping I can write my own.

Comment

Originally posted by spedmommy4 View Post
                            The woman at the training I just attended here was listing off standard prepackaged curriculum when I asked about our approved list. I am waiting for the full list. I am hoping I can write my own.
                            Here is the list for my state.
                            It's lengthy and offers options.

If all QRIS has to meet the same early learning standards, it sure would be helpful and nice if all states approved and accepted the same curricula.

Comment

I haven't read this whole post or arguments but I am a fully licensed teacher of Early Childhood Education for birth to 3rd grade. I am paying for student loans off and will be for years to come. I do not charge more then others in my area yet, but I do believe I could I am more educated for early childhood. I spent 5 years in school it was a ton of work and I do 'teach' the kids through play and developmentally appropriate methods.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
                                On the other side of things, it bugs the heck out of me that 20 yr olds with 2 year degrees are called Teachers just like my husband and me, who have 4 year degrees. Other professions have titles that indicate degree of education (CNA vs RN for nursing, RDA vs DDS for dentistry, etc) I think the field of education should have similar designations. JMO...
                                I completely agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X