Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    I 100% disagree with that statement.

The #1 complaint/vent read on ANY caregiver board or heard from ANYONE who works in the field of caregiving is feeling under appreciated, taken advantage of and/or not being respected.....ALL of which directly related to how "valued" the person is.

The number one driving factor to providers putting up with stuff they shouldn't have to, dealing with tough kids and disrespectful clients is "needing the income" or "can't afford to term"

Vacations and time off (so you..general you...isn't always over worked and stressed to the max) is impacted GREATLY by whether or not the provider can afford to take the time off, whether or not the provider can afford to make a family upset etc.....

I 100% believe that if the pay scale even slightly matched the work load and responsibilities placed on not only in home family providers (but center workers and ECE teachers) the quality of care would improve.

Whether it is due to simply not having to stress in how to meet our own financial requirements or being paid more so that we can take/find the time to take time for ourselves and our families, the entire atmosphere of caregiving would change. Less stress = less burnt out.

I know money doesn't solve everything.... but it sure helps lessen the stress load an over worked, burnt out caregiver is trying to balance.

An underpaid caregiver in a million dollar set up is not going to make a huge impact in anything...including her self-worth.

A well paid caregiver with nothing but the bare minimum is going to have the mental capacity and the willingness to make something out of nothing. The capacity to do that I believe IS impacted by the caregiver not having to stress about where her next $1 is coming from.
    I can't say that I do agree. I don't think that more money is going to make me feel any less stress. Many times people get more money and get into more trouble with money, causing more stress. I also think that with more money, it can attract the wrong people into a field. I know of many of doctors who are very well off, but are HORRIBLE people.

I make good money at what I do, but I also know that with it comes a lot of sacrifice from not only me, but my family. I enjoy what I do, no, I love it. I can't say that more money would make me better at what I do. BUt I know that if my state spent more money on training me and other providers in our field, that we could be even better.

There is a right fit for this job, it comes with being a compassionate nurturer, which is why I believe that there are so many women that lead this field. I do believe that we are born to nurture. But we are not born with sensitivity and patience. I guess you could relate this to nurses vs. doctors. Then again, look at the pay difference. I actually do not think that those are things that most adults can learn.

in my home country, teachers are more respected than doctors, and they do not make much money at all. I think that a lot of it has to do with how society influences us about the attitude of them. In my eyes, many here do not see or understand the real importance of of good early or primary education.

I do think that early childcare providers have the strongest impact on the foundation of a childs life. I recall hating my primary teacher and I know now that this is why I hated school so much growing up.

I also think that WE as providers have a hand in those sasticts that dictate if a child will be a criminal or a well educated person. If everyone knew this, yes, I think that we would be more respected, and I would take that over the money.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
      There is a right fit for this job, it comes with being a compassionate nurturer, which is why I believe that there are so many women that lead this field. I do believe that we are born to nurture. But we are not born with sensitivity and patience. I guess you could relate this to nurses vs. doctors. Then again, look at the pay difference. I actually do not think that those are things that most adults can learn.
      I am odd man out in this as I am one provider that did NOT go purposely into this field. I do not consider myself a natural born nurturer or overly compassionate person.

I don't know the right wording but the stereotypical "traits" most providers have that lead them to this profession are not traits I have/hold.

I've heard "I have known since the day I was born that I wanted to work with kids and make a difference in their lives" as a standard description or text book answer from most providers as to why they are in this field or what lead them here.....

That does not describe me at all. I do not believe I have to have any natural born traits (normally associated with this career choice) to know what I am doing and to do it well.

I am sure that isn't clear and probably sounds rambly but I'm on my way out the door... I'll elaborate more later.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
        I can't say that I do agree. I don't think that more money is going to make me feel any less stress. Many times people get more money and get into more trouble with money, causing more stress. I also think that with more money, it can attract the wrong people into a field. I know of many of doctors who are very well off, but are HORRIBLE people.

I make good money at what I do, but I also know that with it comes a lot of sacrifice from not only me, but my family. I enjoy what I do, no, I love it. I can't say that more money would make me better at what I do. BUt I know that if my state spent more money on training me and other providers in our field, that we could be even better.

in my home country, teachers are more respected than doctors, and they do not make much money at all. I think that a lot of it has to do with how society influences us about the attitude of them. In my eyes, many here do not see or understand the real importance of of good early or primary education.

I do think that early childcare providers have the strongest impact on the foundation of a childs life. I recall hating my primary teacher and I know now that this is why I hated school so much growing up.

I also think that WE as providers have a hand in those sasticts that dictate if a child will be a criminal or a well educated person. If everyone knew this, yes, I think that we would be more respected, and I would take that over the money.
        I can't speak for the U.S.A but in Canada anybody can open a home daycare and get kids. We get a LOT of people who have no other options with zero education running home daycares. My neighbourhood is saturated with people providing care for $30 a day and they don't follow regulations. For them it is about the $$ because they can't do anything else and most of them are new immigrants who can barely speak english. This is my competition and it is absolutely demoralizing for me as someone who chose this as my career. At least in the USA there is a much bigger incentive to be licensed and most people are so you can weed out the people who might get into it for the money but here there is no incentive to be licensed.

I was recently "chastized" on an FB group for adverising the fact that I am a registered ECE and what that means (most parents have no clue that we answer to a governing body and have to complete continuous learning modules to stay current). Seriously! I was told that I am no better than someone without an ECE and to get off my high horse. The admin refused to put up my ad unless I changed it. All I was doing was trying to sell myself and educate people on why I am of value. Even within my own field we get zero respect.

Can you tell I am feeling discouraged?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
          I can't speak for the U.S.A but in Canada anybody can open a home daycare and get kids. We get a LOT of people who have no other options with zero education running home daycares. My neighbourhood is saturated with people providing care for $30 a day and they don't follow regulations. For them it is about the $$ because they can't do anything else and most of them are new immigrants who can barely speak english. This is my competition and it is absolutely demoralizing for me as someone who chose this as my career. At least in the USA there is a much bigger incentive to be licensed and most people are so you can weed out the people who might get into it for the money but here there is no incentive to be licensed.

I was recently "chastized" on an FB group for adverising the fact that I am a registered ECE and what that means (most parents have no clue that we answer to a governing body and have to complete continuous learning modules to stay current). Seriously! I was told that I am no better than someone without an ECE and to get off my high horse. The admin refused to put up my ad unless I changed it. All I was doing was trying to sell myself and educate people on why I am of value. Even within my own field we get zero respect.

Can you tell I am feeling discouraged?!
          Yes! I agree!

I don't feel I was a bad provider at all before I went back to school and earned a degree. I was a good, quality provider.

But I am a better provider since I went back to school and earned a degree.

Before anyone gets offended, it does not mean I think I am better than anyone without a degree. What I am saying is I (personally and professionally) am a better provider than I was before I went back to school to earn a degree.

Should I be paid more because I have a degree verses someone who doesn't? QRIS thinks so because I am paid more by the state that licenses me than providers without a degree.

Comment

Can you imagine if all of the DCP walked off the job for a day? The whole economy would grind to a halt. THAT is how important we are!

I've heard "I have known since the day I was born that I wanted to work with kids and make a difference in their lives" as a standard description or text book answer from most providers as to why they are in this field or what lead them here.....
            That got me thinking again about something I'm curious about. I'm going to start a new thread.

Before anyone gets offended, it does not mean I think I am better than anyone without a degree. What I am saying is I (personally and professionally) am a better provider than I was before I went back to school to earn a degree.
            Doesn't offend me. I think most of the providers here are better than me because I haven't started yet and have no day care experience or training. I'm starting off with a love for children, years of babysitting experience, and the desire to go into a business doing something I know I will love to do.

hint hint, that's what I'm going to start a thread about
            Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
            They are also our future.

Comment

Yes! I agree!

I don't feel I was a bad provider at all before I went back to school and earned a degree. I was a good, quality provider.

But I am a better provider since I went back to school and earned a degree.

Should I be paid more because I have a degree verses someone who doesn't? QRIS thinks so because I am paid more by the state that licenses me than providers without a degree.
              I personally think it does a disservice to our whole line of work if we say education simply doesn't matter In this field. A great provider with an education is going to be better than a great provider without hands down, it is just common sense.

The USA just seems so much more on the ball when it comes to this stuff. I get zero benefit from being educated home provider other than the yearly bill of calling myself an ECE and having to devote time to continuous learning. Get this, if I wanted to become licensed they would send an ECE to my home for an inspection. The irony is crazy ::

Comment

I personally think it does a disservice to our whole line of work if we say education simply doesn't matter In this field. A great provider with an education is going to be better than a great provider without hands down, it is just common sense.

The USA just seems so much more on the ball when it comes to this stuff. I get zero benefit from being educated home provider other than the yearly bill of calling myself an ECE and having to devote time to continuous learning. Get this, if I wanted to become licensed they would send an ECE to my home for an inspection. The irony is crazy ::
                I definitely do not discount education as a positive thing, but I feel that a provider with experience is far more beneficial. I just look at education as a bonus, but as a parent, if it came down to a provider with years of actual hands on experience/confidence int heir ability, versus one with a degree who is new to the field, I would probably choose the veteran. There is so much they cannot teach you about many professions, but I think any education is great. It is just not something I look to when deciding on who to provide care for my child.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
                  I definitely do not discount education as a positive thing, but I feel that a provider with experience is far more beneficial. I just look at education as a bonus, but as a parent, if it came down to a provider with years of actual hands on experience/confidence int heir ability, versus one with a degree who is new to the field, I would probably choose the veteran. There is so much they cannot teach you about many professions, but I think any education is great. It is just not something I look to when deciding on who to provide care for my child.

But as a parent, what you (general you*) want doesn't matter anymore.

The state/government is dictating what makes a program a quality program.

They don't really care what you* think.

Comment

But as a parent, what you (general you*) want doesn't matter anymore.

The state/government is dictating what makes a program a quality program.

They don't really care what you* think.
                    I completely agree, which is why I wonder why parents push so hard for "universal preschool" and what not. I know it is a money thing, but they are technically still paying for care, but they get far less control over what type of care is provided.

My son is in 1st grade and is having issues with reading. He is being given extra services to help and we are doing what we need to do at home to help him out. When I listen to him read, imo, he does really well. What I would expect from a kid his age, but according to the school, he is really behind and they are making me nervous with the implication of their words. The lack of control and the fact that he is one of many and has to keep an education timetable that is not fit for him makes me really upset. I couldn;t imagine pushing him into that environment any sooner.

(just an fyi...I think it is awesome for people to continue their education in whatever field they choose and it is certainly not something I look badly on by any means. The more experience, education, ect., the better off you will be! My earlier post was just stating that it would take more than a degree for me to trust your abilities as a provider, kwim? I think there is plenty of education to be had when it comes to children, but it is not rocket science in my book and I find that experience in the "trenches" so to speak, is one of the best ways to learn how children work. The education part can really offer up that textbook equation of child development, but seeing it in action is what seems to ingrain it into my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
                      I completely agree, which is why I wonder why parents push so hard for "universal preschool" and what not. I know it is a money thing, but they are technically still paying for care, but they get far less control over what type of care is provided.

My son is in 1st grade and is having issues with reading. He is being given extra services to help and we are doing what we need to do at home to help him out. When I listen to him read, imo, he does really well. What I would expect from a kid his age, but according to the school, he is really behind and they are making me nervous with the implication of their words. The lack of control and the fact that he is one of many and has to keep an education timetable that is not fit for him makes me really upset. I couldn;t imagine pushing him into that environment any sooner.

(just an fyi...I think it is awesome for people to continue their education in whatever field they choose and it is certainly not something I look badly on by any means. The more experience, education, ect., the better off you will be! My earlier post was just stating that it would take more than a degree for me to trust your abilities as a provider, kwim? I think there is plenty of education to be had when it comes to children, but it is not rocket science in my book and I find that experience in the "trenches" so to speak, is one of the best ways to learn how children work. The education part can really offer up that textbook equation of child development, but seeing it in action is what seems to ingrain it into my mind.
                      I agree!

Finally an article that supports BOTH care and education and the important each has at the "right" time.

Comment

Working...
                      X