Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Underestimation of America's Preschool Teachers

Copied and pasted from another forum:

"Brain science shows that this combination of caring and educating must go hand in hand for this age group. While a 14-year-old might manage to learn something about the Constitution from a social-studies teacher he doesn’t like, a 4-year-old is incapable of learning much from an adult he does not trust.
    That truth contradicts the idea that the care and education of children can ever be separated, Whitebook argues. “A child doesn’t think, ‘Oh now I’m in child care and I’m being cared for. Oh, I’m in preschool, now I’m learning,’” Whitebook said. “They’re learning all the time and there’s the potential to facilitate their learning all the time.”

That is also an argument for paying everyone in charge of young children more than they’re paid now. While teachers like Kendall, who work in public-school districts, tend to be paid on par with their K-12 peers, other public-preschool teachers, private-center teachers, and home-based child care workers are paid far less. Three-quarters of the early educator workforce is paid less than $15 an hour...."

I so agree with this.

we can have the best looking program, teach everything under the sun, but if we are not sensitive teachers when we teach, we might as well not even try. No child wants to learn, or should I say, no child can learn if a teacher is not encouraging, motivating and sensitive when they teach.

The 3 have to exist together.

I recall a saying someone said once.

you will catch more bees with honey than vinegar...

Comment

Classic intrinsic motivation argument. They learn because they like and trust you; they want to please you.

IDK.

I always learned best from teachers who loved the subject they taught. It showed, they had a joy about it and clearly wanted to share that.

The problem still comes down to who pays. Parents, employers or taxpayers? Raise rates across the boards and more parents will need public assistance or another "cost of living" minimum wage increase. There are no magic beans other than personal accountability, IMHO. Not being over regulated to financial crush-n-run would certainly help providers.
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

After re-reading it occurs to me I have heard a very similar story before about another industry.

Our county fire department was low performing and had serious morale and financial shortfalls. They needed a better source of revenue so they engulfed the local EMS companies, pushing them out of business and absorbed their profits to prop up their own sinking ship.

They sold the community on it by stating how their fire personnel would now be better trained and their homeowners insurance rates would drop due to their higher rating. They later hiked the millage rates instead.... quietly.

They never mentioned all the hardworking business owners who had served honorably for years losing their contracts. They kept stories out of the local paper about the real number of jobs actually lost. Nobody was informed of the minimum training fire personnel were actually given or the lowered standards of care they are actually getting for their effort.
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Low Pay Undermines Quality

Comment

in my recent class I was taking I wrote a paper on high quality does not equate to the amount of money you paid on your environment or how highly educated your staff is. It is how they do it that matters.

you can have a million dollar set up, but if your teachers are not connected with the children, provide a sensitive and encouraging learning approach, you might as well flush everything down the drain.

I honestly don't think that paying a teacher more money is going to change a teachers approach on how they teach. I have met teachers that have degrees above an beyond, but no patience for the children. No patience or acceptance of the diverse parenting styles.

I don't think that the education we get in the classroom in regards to really understanding the science behind the "why" is enough. Im over 40 and have been in the classroom most of my life. I still feel that I need more training to be a better teacher. I know that there are few teachers that continue going to school over the years and I really think that is where the money needs to be spent.

As an in home daycare provider that does not participate in any government assistant programs, I am given zero support and are never included in any trainings, workshops or etc.

It's really asking how do we get everyone to drink the same water?

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
              in my recent class I was taking I wrote a paper on high quality does not equate to the amount of money you paid on your environment or how highly educated your staff is. It is how they do it that matters.

you can have a million dollar set up, but if your teachers are not connected with the children, provide a sensitive and encouraging learning approach, you might as well flush everything down the drain.

I honestly don't think that paying a teacher more money is going to change a teachers approach on how they teach. I have met teachers that have degrees above an beyond, but no patience for the children. No patience or acceptance of the diverse parenting styles.

I don't think that the education we get in the classroom in regards to really understanding the science behind the "why" is enough. Im over 40 and have been in the classroom most of my life. I still feel that I need more training to be a better teacher. I know that there are few teachers that continue going to school over the years and I really think that is where the money needs to be spent.

As an in home daycare provider that does not participate in any government assistant programs, I am given zero support and are never included in any trainings, workshops or etc.

I 100% disagree with that statement.

The #1 complaint/vent read on ANY caregiver board or heard from ANYONE who works in the field of caregiving is feeling under appreciated, taken advantage of and/or not being respected.....ALL of which directly related to how "valued" the person is.

The number one driving factor to providers putting up with stuff they shouldn't have to, dealing with tough kids and disrespectful clients is "needing the income" or "can't afford to term"

Vacations and time off (so you..general you...isn't always over worked and stressed to the max) is impacted GREATLY by whether or not the provider can afford to take the time off, whether or not the provider can afford to make a family upset etc.....

I 100% believe that if the pay scale even slightly matched the work load and responsibilities placed on not only in home family providers (but center workers and ECE teachers) the quality of care would improve.

Whether it is due to simply not having to stress in how to meet our own financial requirements or being paid more so that we can take/find the time to take time for ourselves and our families, the entire atmosphere of caregiving would change. Less stress = less burnt out.

I know money doesn't solve everything.... but it sure helps lessen the stress load an over worked, burnt out caregiver is trying to balance.

An underpaid caregiver in a million dollar set up is not going to make a huge impact in anything...including her self-worth.

A well paid caregiver with nothing but the bare minimum is going to have the mental capacity and the willingness to make something out of nothing. The capacity to do that I believe IS impacted by the caregiver not having to stress about where her next $1 is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                I 100% disagree with that statement.

The #1 complaint/vent read on ANY caregiver board or heard from ANYONE who works in the field of caregiving is feeling under appreciated, taken advantage of and/or not being respected.....ALL of which directly related to how "valued" the person is.

The number one driving factor to providers putting up with stuff they shouldn't have to, dealing with tough kids and disrespectful clients is "needing the income" or "can't afford to term"

Vacations and time off (so you..general you...isn't always over worked and stressed to the max) is impacted GREATLY by whether or not the provider can afford to take the time off, whether or not the provider can afford to make a family upset etc.....

I 100% believe that if the pay scale even slightly matched the work load and responsibilities placed on not only in home family providers (but center workers and ECE teachers) the quality of care would improve.

Whether it is due to simply not having to stress in how to meet our own financial requirements or being paid more so that we can take/find the time to take time for ourselves and our families, the entire atmosphere of caregiving would change. Less stress = less burnt out.

I know money doesn't solve everything.... but it sure helps lessen the stress load an over worked, burnt out caregiver is trying to balance.

An underpaid caregiver in a million dollar set up is not going to make a huge impact in anything...including her self-worth.

A well paid caregiver with nothing but the bare minimum is going to have the mental capacity and the willingness to make something out of nothing. The capacity to do that I believe IS impacted by the caregiver not having to stress about where her next $1 is coming from.
                I agree with this BC. I lived well below the poverty level, and in the back of my head, at all times was a running fear of what I would be paid, what I owed, if my car would start when I left, if I could afford to pay daycare from my tips this week or if I would have to dip into my crappy paycheck, etc. When I was a waitress, I was so absolutely miserable because I was paid so poorly (and I was treated wonderfully!) I had to fake a smile and get through my day. I worked through EVERYTHING because I could NOT afford to take time off. It was also a job I could 'disconnect' myself from, go through the motions. You cannot do that in child care.

I can afford to take days off if needed. I can afford to take a vacation. I can afford my medical bills and insurance. I can afford my mortgage. I have a safe, reliable vehicle. My stress level, although still working a very demanding job with long hours, is MUCH less.

Comment

There is no way I would do this job if my husband's job didn't pay all of our bills. I don't know how people worry about getting paid from parents and depend on them to pay in order to pay their own bills. This forum has shown time and time again that child care providers are generally really nice people and a lot of daycare parents will take advantage of that.

There is also no way I would work in a center for $9 an hour. Ugh. This is a tough business. I like kids, I always wanted my own business, I get to use marketing skills, which I like, I get to teach, which I like, and it's an enormous tax write off, which I love.

If I wasn't full or made less money, I'd quit in a heartbeat.

I'm also sick of studies. One study says preschool doesn't matter, keep your kids home. The next says, sends them it matters. This one focuses on the care givers. Eh. Bite me study takers.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post

I honestly don't think that paying a teacher more money is going to change a teachers approach on how they teach.
                    I have met teachers that have degrees above an beyond, but no patience for the children. No patience or acceptance of the diverse parenting styles.

I think people are mostly motivated by money when it comes to the job they choose, so I do think that paying more can increase productivity. However, I also understand what you are saying. Some people are not meant to be teachers or to spend their living around children. Sometimes, they realize this too late (after a degree), but many people also figure this out really quickly. I know a few friends who are teachers and literally cannot stand kids, which I get, but it is an odd profession to choose, kwim? I think there are many of us who are invested in this career and deserve to make a good income off of it, but of course, there will always be those whose hearts are just not in it.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
                      I think people are mostly motivated by money when it comes to the job they choose, so I do think that paying more can increase productivity. However, I also understand what you are saying. Some people are not meant to be teachers or to spend their living around children. Sometimes, they realize this too late (after a degree), but many people also figure this out really quickly. I know a few friends who are teachers and literally cannot stand kids, which I get, but it is an odd profession to choose, kwim? I think there are many of us who are invested in this career and deserve to make a good income off of it, but of course, there will always be those whose hearts are just not in it.
                      Education 101 at every college begins with:

"If you are looking to make a ton of money, this is NOT the right profession for you."

Repeated in classrooms every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                        Education 101 at every college begins with:

"If you are looking to make a ton of money, this is NOT the right profession for you."

Repeated in classrooms every year.
                        I don't think everyone's goal is to make a ton of money any more. I think most are trying to make enough to get by or to be comfortable at least. Teachers still have retirement benefits and health care that is desireable. Throw in the idea of summer's and holidays off and people think it is an "easy" job. I think many start and do not stay for the long haul...just like daycare providers. Stay home with my kid, work from the comfort of my home, ects? Sounds amazing until you figure out how much work is involved!

Comment

The number 1 reason for me contemplating leaving this field is the crappy pay. I am an ECE so an educated professional who will likely make $14 an hour if I go back to work at a daycare centre. The guy who picks up my garbage makes $22 an hour and needs a grade 10 education. Does that make any logical sense? The only reason that I can see as to why we get paid so little is because 99% of us are women.

Can you imagine if all of the DCP walked off the job for a day? The whole economy would grind to a halt. THAT is how important we are!

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
                            I don't think everyone's goal is to make a ton of money any more. I think most are trying to make enough to get by or to be comfortable at least. Teachers still have retirement benefits and health care that is desireable. Throw in the idea of summer's and holidays off and people think it is an "easy" job. I think many start and do not stay for the long haul...just like daycare providers. Stay home with my kid, work from the comfort of my home, ects? Sounds amazing until you figure out how much work is involved!
                            As the requirements increase the pay should as well.

Whether it's your goal to make a ton of money or just enough to survive, the pay does not even come close to matching the increase in requirements.

I also agree that everyone's goal isn't to make a ton of money... but everyone's goal IS to make enough to not be considered barely hanging on....

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                              The number 1 reason for me contemplating leaving this field is the crappy pay. I am an ECE so an educated professional who will likely make $14 an hour if I go back to work at a daycare centre. The guy who picks up my garbage makes $22 an hour and needs a grade 10 education. Does that make any logical sense? The only reason that I can see as to why we get paid so little is because 99% of us are women.

Can you imagine if all of the DCP walked off the job for a day? The whole economy would grind to a halt. THAT is how important we are!

Comment

Working...
                              X