Opinions Or Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lvt77 View Post
    In my heart of hearts I know the right thing to do. I guess I just dont want to have to be the one to tell the DCP.... I feel like crying.....
    In California, you can contact your R&R and THEY should come do an evaluation for you. They will conduct observations and use the DRDP to assess the child's skill level.You can then provide that info to the parents, and the R&R will also provide referrals for the parent. This is the tool the California Dept. Of Ed uses for preschool assessments.

Also, California has a set of Preschool Learning Foundations that give you the information that preschoolers are expected to learn/know. You can use the lists to provide to the parents so that they will see what their child should know at this age.

Your local First Five Commission should also have free handouts available for you to give to parents. These are very detailed for parents so they know EXACTLY what will be expected when their child starts kindy.

If you need links, let me know. And, please refresh my memory as to which county you are in so I can give you the appropriate links.

Comment

Here is a link to the Preschool Learning Foundations:

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
        In California, you can contact your R&R and THEY should come do an evaluation for you. They will conduct observations and use the DRDP to assess the child's skill level.You can then provide that info to the parents, and the R&R will also provide referrals for the parent. This is the tool the California Dept. Of Ed uses for preschool assessments.

Also, California has a set of Preschool Learning Foundations that give you the information that preschoolers are expected to learn/know. You can use the lists to provide to the parents so that they will see what their child should know at this age.

Your local First Five Commission should also have free handouts available for you to give to parents. These are very detailed for parents so they know EXACTLY what will be expected when their child starts kindy.

If you need links, let me know. And, please refresh my memory as to which county you are in so I can give you the appropriate links.
        you rock thank you... santa clara county.....

Comment

Your local First Five Commission:

Your local R&R:

I didn't browse around on them too much, but there seems to be alot of info and resources. Also, if you PM me your address I will gladly send you some resources and info for yourself, as well as for your families.

Comment

Just an additional resource that I thought you might find useful:

Comment

Originally posted by lvt77 View Post
              He is still not potty trained and has limited speech.
              They think that he is extremely intelligent and they always boast about how smart he is…
              I would start with this.

I would have them come for a meeting and tell them that you don't provide diapering to children this age. He's too old to have that intimate contact. If he is going to remain in diapers then they need to work out a system where they come and diaper him daily.

Tell them that you only provide diapering to this age child if they qualify under the disability act. This means they must have a diagnosis from a physician that qualifies them to receive this level of service so the child can remain and participate in your program.

They need to either provide someone to do this service or remove him for as long as it takes to get him fully and completely trained.

I would tell them that your experience and education tell you that he is not meeting the developmental milestones for a child his age. You understand from your conversations with them that they feel that he IS developing great and that in fact, he is really advanced. You believe that they know him best so this issue MUST be addressed immediately.

A child that is really smart will train by age four. It's time to put his giftedness into something CONCRETE that they have to deal with.

See with parents who feel their child is gifted when you have very clear indications that they are severely and profoundly delayed ... the parent just has to SAY that the child is advanced or "really smart". Saying those words takes seconds. Potty training the delayed child takes WEEKS or even MONTHS.

It's time for them to DO... not say.

You can't avoid telling them that he is, in your opinion, significantly delayed. You can try to be nice and do a "compliment sandwhich" approach of good... not good... good approach but in the end they will take what you say that's good and deny your opinion on what is not.

It's time for them to HAVE to do something. Pick whatever delay you think is a good starter for them (which for me would definitely be toileting) and INSIST that he must do what really smart kids do... When he doesn't then go to the next... and the next... until you GET them to understand that he needs a professional to completely evaluate him.
              http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                Just an additional resource that I thought you might find useful:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/docum...elineshome.pdf
                this is what you need to use for an assessment - these are the standards teachers use in the schools. if you scroll to the very bottom of the document the standards are there. you can just print out those pages and use that paper to assess - check off what he can do right on the paper (or however you want to do it). either way, it doesn't cost anything.

i don't know about where you live, but here we have to get the parent's consent to have someone come in and assess their child. if you're worried about approaching them, i'd assess on my own first and present them with that - then if they're receptive, see if they'd like someone to come in.

actually, i'd use this link:

it is the same standards, but this one gives specific examples of things the child "should" be able to say/do so it's easier to assess.
                Last edited by QualiTcare; 01-22-2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I just want to thank everyone for taking their time to respond to all of my questions. Without a doubt, something needs to be done.

I am thinking of how to approach this and at this time feel that as someone said, conduct the assessment first myself and if I feel it needs to go further, then let the parents take it from there. I am going to push this on the parents. It is my responsibility as a teacher and care giver to make sure he is getting the tools that he needs to be successful in building a foundation for learning. It is up to the parents to support and follow through with it.

As for the potty training, Nannyde, I think you are very on point about this issue. I am going to give it a few more weeks after the assessment is done and then throw that idea to mom and dad. I think a lot of that has to do with them anyways.... in the nicest way possible, let’s just say the parents are LAZY!!!

I will keep everyone posted on how this turns out and I just might need somemore help...until then thanks a million again to all of you.....
                  hugs

Comment

Working...
                  X