Some Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
    This same girl struck again this afternoon. We were painting the wood crafts from WM, the little $1 cars, planes and such. I didn't have enough of everything for them to all get what they wanted, so I had them draw numbers for who picked first. After everyone picked she says "well I think we should get to paint two". GRR I spend so much time and money making sure these kids have things to do, and for this one nothing is ever good enough.
    "That's a FANTASTIC idea! Why don't you bring _____ next week so we can all paint two."

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
      "That's a FANTASTIC idea! Why don't you bring _____ next week so we can all paint two."
      Actually I did tell her if she and her family wanted to donate art supplies, we would do more art. Right now they do one "project" a week, then usually another on Friday at the library summer reading program. Then of course other days there is coloring and such available. I have just never had a child so impossible to please I guess. I mean sure I would love to do unlimited art, and I would if people were willing to pay more for care!

Comment

This same girl struck again this afternoon. We were painting the wood crafts from WM, the little $1 cars, planes and such. I didn't have enough of everything for them to all get what they wanted, so I had them draw numbers for who picked first. After everyone picked she says "well I think we should get to paint two". GRR I spend so much time and money making sure these kids have things to do, and for this one nothing is ever good enough.
        I think I would give her a 'talking to'. If she is school age then she can understand what complaining means. Give her examples and tell her you are tired of hearing her complain or ask for more. Tell her it is rude and you don't want to hear any more of it. I'd say it sternly and then say "Do you understand me?" with 'the look'. If she then continues, remind her and add a consequence.

Comment

I have found the problem with free play all day with the olders, is to much of it and they start fighting.
          My kids free play ALL day in the summer months.

The trick is to limit the number of kids allowed to participate in each activity and to rotate activities and options to move from one activity to another at timed intervals.

For example, my kiddos came in this morning and have 3 choices (wooden blocks, art center or office)

I set up each of these areas prior to their arrival.

The main item stays the same but the "extras" get swapped out. Such as the office area... this week it's been a post office. I supply envelopes, boxes, stamps, paper, pens, mailbox, letter carrier bag, post office hats, name tags, packing material etc. Next week, it's going to be a restaurant.

Each area is allowed no more than 3 kids MAX. Each child chooses which center/activity they are going to play in.

The bell goes off 30-60 minutes later. (depending on several factors)

We break for bathroom use and diaper changes and switch to a new centers.

If someone starts to fight with someone else, they have a choice...work it out among yourselves or leave the activity and sit on the reading nook/corner until it's time to switch centers.

You get pretty good at knowing who should and shouldn't play together too so I have said no/"make an different choice" to a DCK when they choose to play in a center someone they don't play well with is already in.

It's just part of the routine.

In all honesty, I get bored stiff in the summer time. My kids all play together nicely and have the rotation expectations down pat leaving me with very little to do.

My only involvement is to rotate centers/themes and supplies.

“I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.” ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            My kids free play ALL day in the summer months.

The trick is to limit the number of kids allowed to participate in each activity and to rotate activities and options to move from one activity to another at timed intervals.

For example, my kiddos came in this morning and have 3 choices (wooden blocks, art center or office)

I set up each of these areas prior to their arrival.

The main item stays the same but the "extras" get swapped out. Such as the office area... this week it's been a post office. I supply envelopes, boxes, stamps, paper, pens, mailbox, letter carrier bag, post office hats, name tags, packing material etc. Next week, it's going to be a restaurant.

Each area is allowed no more than 3 kids MAX. Each child chooses which center/activity they are going to play in.

The bell goes off 30-60 minutes later. (depending on several factors)

We break for bathroom use and diaper changes and switch to a new centers.

If someone starts to fight with someone else, they have a choice...work it out among yourselves or leave the activity and sit on the reading nook/corner until it's time to switch centers.

You get pretty good at knowing who should and shouldn't play together too so I have said no/"make an different choice" to a DCK when they choose to play in a center someone they don't play well with is already in.

It's just part of the routine.

In all honesty, I get bored stiff in the summer time. My kids all play together nicely and have the rotation expectations down pat leaving me with very little to do.

My only involvement is to rotate centers/themes and supplies.

“I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.” ~ Albert Einstein
            Same here on the free play with set up centers but I don't keep school kids by choice...I don't feel equipped for them materially or emotionally or mentally::

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
              Same here on the free play with set up centers but I don't keep school kids by choice...I don't feel equipped for them materially or emotionally or mentally::
              I don't take them either.

I used to.

They tend to bring out emotions and thoughts in me that are not very positive.

Comment

If I didn't take SA kids, I wouldn't have any. I got another call just yesterday for a Pre K and a SA. I literally wouldn't have ANY kids if I didn't take them. Right now my youngest one is 5 and starting Kindy this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  I don't take them either.

I used to.

They tend to bring out emotions and thoughts in me that are not very positive.
                  ::

Comment

Working...
                  X