Advice on Cloth Diapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
    See I have one of my daycare babies in pocket diapers... never had issues the whole year I've had her. The only thing is because dad put ointment on her for a slight rash last week, I now have to have them strip the inserts because now they aren't absorbing correctly. (Dad didn't know not to put greasy creams on or it changes the way the cloth works)
    They gave me a special cream to be used for diaper rashes. Same exact possible outcome.

Comment

I've used different cloth systems on all 6 of my kiddos, my grandkiddos and some DCK, plus I used to make/sell them, so I've got lots of experience troubleshooting.

Some of the reasons for a leaky diaper are:
      - Not enough absorbency (the most common issue)
      - Not absorbing fast enough
      - Diaper cover wicks (is the wetness around the legs and where the snaps are? The binding might be wicking)
      - Diaper cover doesn't fit well
      - Poor laundering routine causes repelling

Are they PlanetWise diapers, or just the wet bag? LMK more about the diapers and I can troubleshoot better.

I'd put the wet bag into a plastic bag to make sure any wetness is contained. We're not allowed to use wet bags in WI - we have to use plastic bags.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
        Oh no. You need all in one.
        No way would I do a two step method on dc.
        Noe. Aio only.
        I will now have a new policy!!
        I wasn't aware of it a couple days before care. It didn't occur to me that they came any other way. Lesson learned

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
          I've used different cloth systems on all 6 of my kiddos, my grandkiddos and some DCK, plus I used to make/sell them, so I've got lots of experience troubleshooting.

Some of the reasons for a leaky diaper are:
          - Not enough absorbency (the most common issue)
          - Not absorbing fast enough
          - Diaper cover wicks (is the wetness around the legs and where the snaps are? The binding might be wicking)
          - Diaper cover doesn't fit well
          - Poor laundering routine causes repelling

Are they PlanetWise diapers, or just the wet bag? LMK more about the diapers and I can troubleshoot better.

I'd put the wet bag into a plastic bag to make sure any wetness is contained. We're not allowed to use wet bags in WI - we have to use plastic bags.
          I'm not sure, they are just blank cloths, no logos or anything else on them. I put the wet bag in a plastic bag as soon as I noticed it. Other than that I'm not sure the process, it sounds like a mix between the company and at home care. Even my own mom was like "what???" and she had me in cloth when I was a baby because at that time disposables weren't all that great yet.

Comment

Oh and the actual diaper cover doesn't leak, it's around the legs though and the cloth is soaked and I change often.

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
              They gave me a special cream to be used for diaper rashes. Same exact possible outcome.
              That's why I am going to require they send disposables if they plan on doing the cream; thing is she clears up here (12hrs) & then shows in the morning red & covered in cream again. Makes me wonder if kiddo is being changed when she wakes middle of the night

Comment

I wasn't aware of it a couple days before care. It didn't occur to me that they came any other way. Lesson learned

Yes I highly suggest AIO or pocket diapers. I even know providers out here who will list two brand options and only allow that. There are some up sides to pocket diapers over AIO so if I had dcks in diapers I would allow both but would list specific brands I felt I could handle in a dc setting.

Comment

I would change it.
                  Effective immediately.
                  Like. Today.

"New Policy
                  If a parent chooses to use cloth diapers the provider fully supports them however, the diapers provided must be effective and be no more labor intensive than a typical disposable. An effective wet bag system must be provided as well to insure a sanitary environment for all children in care. All cloth diapers will be an "AIO" style with all pieces already assembled and ready for use. Diapers will not be rinsed, dumped, or emptied out in any way. Wet or soiled diapers will be removed from child and placed directly in wet bag. A backup supply of disposables must be provided in the event one of the cloth diapers fail due to ill fit, buildup, wear, or any other reason.
                  Thank you.
                  Provider"

Comment

I wish it was this style! I have a 3 pronged clasp thingy to hold the cloth together and the diaper cover has to be put on separately.
                    That is a prefold. It's what I use on my kids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_r2K1d9WFM

I would agree pockets or AIO are easier but IMO are more prone to leaks.

Comment

Oh and the actual diaper cover doesn't leak, it's around the legs though and the cloth is soaked and I change often.
                      I have to change mine every two hours. If you're putting them on and need to change more than that they need bigger prefolds.

Comment

I'm not sure, they are just blank cloths, no logos or anything else on them. I put the wet bag in a plastic bag as soon as I noticed it. Other than that I'm not sure the process, it sounds like a mix between the company and at home care. Even my own mom was like "what???" and she had me in cloth when I was a baby because at that time disposables weren't all that great yet.
                        Sounds like a prefold, which aren't the most absorbent. I add hemp or microfleece inserts to my GrandDD's prefolds to up the absorbency. She wears pockets and we rarely have leaks.

Comment

My dcb just started on cloth diapers after he outgrew the largest disposables. She brought Alva brand. I love them so far. Sometimes, he challenged the disposables, but so far, these have met all challenges.

Comment

Ok, now I know the terms of different cloth diapers. Thanks to all of you for helping me know which is which!

Talked to dcm, told her about the bag and the challenges I'm facing. I am going to give it a couple weeks to hone my skills and she is going to make sure the wet bags I get do not leak through. I have found that I need to change dcb every time he goes, which is difficult because I'm used to doing the 'squish' test with disposables. And dcb is too little for BM's to be smelly.

In the end, if it isn't working, we've agreed to do disposables here and I have back ups, which I've been having to use in a pinch. Wish me luck!

Thank you, thank you for all your advice. It's priceless!

Comment

Sounds like flats with snappies and covers. It is the cheapest way to cloth diaper but not the best imo. I did that with my son before he fit into pockets. It can be a hassle because it keeps the pee right next to the skin and can cause a rash pretty quick. I was changing his diaper 15 to 20 times a day until I switched.

Alvas (or another pocket type) with 5 layer charcoal bamboo inserts have been the best I've found so far.

If mom chooses pockets over all in ones make sure she knows to stuffs them herself so they are ready for you in the morning.

Also the only cream I've found to not affect absorbency is California baby. This site has a list of whether it is cloth safe or not.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
                                My current cloth family brings an empty wet bag, in the daily bag w clean dipes. I just zip up the wet bag then zip up the bag bag. No smell. But they are quality diapers and wet bags. Just a cheap diaper bag to tote it all in. I also require it not to be their "diaper bag" it only has diapers and an extra change of clothes in it. Nothing else.

I would tell mom calmly
                                "Hey Sally, his wet bag is wicking so he will need it replaced. Also, the diapers you sent today leaked again. You'll need to either send different ones or figure out why these are leaking. I want to support your cloth diapering but I can't unless urine and feces can be contained in them.
                                You can send disposable until you get it all figured out. "
                                yes to this. I've been CDing for 5+ yrs. It's a learning process, and there's different wet zones and body types for each kid. if they have multiple kids, they probably have used dipes from another kid, and they may not work for that kid's body. I have found certain wet bags wick horribly. Most of my parents have been CDers. I/they would just send a clean plastic grocery bag in their kid's bag daily, and I'd use it.

Comment

Working...
                                X