I Feel Like I'm Reprimanding Every Parent I Have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by permanentvacation View Post
    I just reprimanded a parent again this morning. Then she started yelling at me that she can't do this this morning. She kept yelling at me basically rewording herself. I have fussed with her for months about being on time. She always arrives at an unscheduled time. Usually she's about 1/2 to 1 hour late in the morning and then out of the blue, she'll be 1/2 hour early! It drives me nuts because I can't plan the things I need to do in the morning to make sure that I'm available for her child at arrival time. I'm often in the middle of cooking the kids' breakfast, feeding the pets, pulling the trash cans in from out back, going to the bathroom, etc. and then she's at the door knocking away while I'm in the middle of doing something. Then I have to stop what I'm doing and rush to the door. I just don't understand why she can't be on time. I also don't understand why she hasn't lost her job for being up to going on 2 hours late to work often.

So, would you guys say anything to her about being on time?
    If she is early, do not answer the door.

If she is more than X minutes late, mark the child absent and go about your day. I she shows up tell her you can't care for her child today as she didn't notify you she was coming and after X minutes you consider her absent.

Keep in mind that you need her income.
    You can't have both if you seriously think a parent will leave if you have words with them.

If she will pull her child and you need the income then your only option is to put up with it.

There is no "easy" button when it comes to this stuff.

You either value your income or you value the respect and sadly most times you can't have both.

Comment

Do you WANT staggered arrivals? Or would you prefer all children to be here by a certain time?

Personally, I don't get why people just can't be on time. For doctor's appointments, play dates, dinners, ack, it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

You have 3 choices with timeframe requirements:
      1. The time is the time. She has no other choice but to keep to the schedule that was agreed upon. You WILL NOT open the door before or after this agreed upon time.
      2. Change policy to everyone having a drop off time between X-Xam. Any child not here by that time will not be allowed in care.
      3. Assign a fee to late arrivals. If they can't make it by their assigned time, then they will incur a "convenience fee" of $10 per infraction.

My guess is that she thinks of you as her employee and you should be bending to her wishes if you want a job.
      Hence the yelling.

Regarding that... I wouldn't tolerate it. She'd be immediately terminated without refunds if it happened here.
      However, if you prefer to give her a pass on it, I'd still acknowledge it and tell her it won't be tolerated again and have her sign off on it (along with what the consequence is if she chooses to disrespect you in this manner again).

Comment

In my daycare, each parent has their individual drop off and pick up time. So, I know that Sally arrives at 7 am. So I make sure to be available to let Sally in. Then I get her situated and I'll go start breakfast. Then I know Johnny is coming in at 7:15. So I make sure to be in the daycare room at 7:15 for Johnny. Then I go get the kids' cups ready for the day. And so on. I do my 'other jobs' in between kids' arrival times. But with this one parent, she comes in anywhere from 8 am (1/2 hour earlier than contracted for) to 9:30 (1/2 hour after I stated in my contract that they are allowed to arrive.) Yes, it's very much like she feels that I am her employee and she will do what she wants rather than adhere to the contract because she is paying me. I have talked to her about this numerous times and she just keeps doing what she wants. This morning, however, she started yelling and demanding to me that she can't do this (have me fuss at her) this morning.

I'm not going anywhere in the mornings. And she doesn't care if I'm in the daycare room when she arrives. So, I guess it really doesn't matter what I'm doing when she arrives which means it really doesn't matter what time she arrives. But it really bothers me that she doesn't adhere to her contracted time and shows up scattered times throughout 1 1/2 every morning.

You could literally set a watch to all of my other parents. Every one else is right on time every morning. I think it's just in her nature to be late for things. But it's really getting to me.

Comment

In my daycare, each parent has their individual drop off and pick up time. So, I know that Sally arrives at 7 am. So I make sure to be available to let Sally in. Then I get her situated and I'll go start breakfast. Then I know Johnny is coming in at 7:15. So I make sure to be in the daycare room at 7:15 for Johnny. Then I go get the kids' cups ready for the day. And so on. I do my 'other jobs' in between kids' arrival times. But with this one parent, she comes in anywhere from 8 am (1/2 hour earlier than contracted for) to 9:30 (1/2 hour after I stated in my contract that they are allowed to arrive.) Yes, it's very much like she feels that I am her employee and she will do what she wants rather than adhere to the contract because she is paying me. I have talked to her about this numerous times and she just keeps doing what she wants. This morning, however, she started yelling and demanding to me that she can't do this (have me fuss at her) this morning.

I'm not going anywhere in the mornings. And she doesn't care if I'm in the daycare room when she arrives. So, I guess it really doesn't matter what I'm doing when she arrives which means it really doesn't matter what time she arrives. But it really bothers me that she doesn't adhere to her contracted time and shows up scattered times throughout 1 1/2 every morning.

You could literally set a watch to all of my other parents. Every one else is right on time every morning. I think it's just in her nature to be late for things. But it's really getting to me.
          Well, we have given you the options to fix it, so try all of that advice. In the end, you do need to choose between put up with it, put an end to it, or let her go.

Comment

I discussed the issue again with her last night at pick up and this morning, she came hauling butt down the road to be on time.

Comment

Working...
            X