No announcement yet.

I Fell with One of My Toddlers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a bunch. DCM didn't even take dcg to the doctor, so I'll just keep a close eye on her. My licensor was serious but nice and said I did everything there was to do. I'm dealing with 'mommy guilt', who knew you could have it just as bad as with your own kid. I'll give her extra hugs and kisses tomorrow and I'll just hold her hand and we'll walk places from now on Ugh, terrible feeling but I'll get over it. Thanks so much for the support everyone!

Comment

That must have been a traumatic experience for you. It's so easy for toys and other items to get under foot when you have all those little ones around and I can see how something like that could easily happen. It sounds like you did the right thing by calling licensing and calling the child's parents and recommending seeing a doctor. I'm guessing you might get a visit, but I don't see why you would lose your license as you reported it yourself and didn't wait for someone else to report the incident. Just make sure you document what happened and get the child's parents to sign it so your butt's covered. I can understand your worry about losing your license to practice.

I know a bit what you are going through. Last summer I was running after my 2-year-old nephew and I tripped and almost fell on top of him. I put my arm out to brace myself and not land with my full weight on top of him. He was fine, but I dislocated my shoulder and I'm still receiving from that injury. I felt so awful about what had happened, and started having nightmares about him falling off his older brother's bunk bed and dying.

Comment

I think I'll be ok. At the time, I was very concerned of a more serious injury, which we all know can result in some serious ramifications even if it was an accident, not all the time, but sometimes. Dcg is good, she is normal, no issues, no signs of a concussion, and no other things that are out of the norm for her. Mom said she was her playful, happy self and her nap didn't cause any alarm. I still wish that they physically brought her in but I can't control that. I probably would have but I tend to be on the cautious side, extreme at times, with good reason. Other than that, I will be keeping a close eye on her the rest of the week, and she'll be getting extra napping checks with some nudges thrown in, I did that with my son when he bonked his head after falling off the bed onto the hardwood floor.

Comment

I fell

I think you did all you could and did it all the right way. Scary when something like this happens. My only suggestion would be if the child can walk, why carry them? I never do anymore when walking. I hold them when sitting on the floor or chair, otherwise I just hold their hand and walk to the changing area. I have witnessed 2 parents trip coming from the car to the house and hit the child's head hard. Let them walk if they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa View Post
            I think you did all you could and did it all the right way. Scary when something like this happens. My only suggestion would be if the child can walk, why carry them? I never do anymore when walking. I hold them when sitting on the floor or chair, otherwise I just hold their hand and walk to the changing area. I have witnessed 2 parents trip coming from the car to the house and hit the child's head hard. Let them walk if they can.
            I agree to an extent. Currently I have two almost 2 year old boys. For the most part I let them walk, and even when they want to be picked up/held, I get down to the floor to do it. But one of them HATES diaper changes or having to come in from outdoor time and if I were to take him by the hand he drops, or pulls away. It's easier (and safer) for me to pick him up and bring him to the changing table or back inside the house.
            Obviously now I'll try to be more aware of objects in the way, but even with an initial clear path we all know how quickly that can change.

I worry that we get so hyper concerned about perceived liability that it makes us to afraid or fail to do our job.

Comment

She does pull away at times and short of dragging her to be changed, which I would never do, that is why I pick up, especially when I need to get something done like diaper changes, etc. Even my 2 year olds don't come hither if called if they don't want to so that is why but I don't pick them up, I might get them to their feet and lead them but that is it. I am all for children being independent but I haven't met a single child interested in being interrupted from play time to have a diaper change or a potty break. She has been with me since infancy so I guess I have more of a mommy bond with her and that's why.

Comment

Ugh tried to edit, I do pick up my 2 year olds like Playcare if it becomes dangerous to not but I try not to because they can do it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
                  She does pull away at times and short of dragging her to be changed, which I would never do, that is why I pick up, especially when I need to get something done like diaper changes, etc. Even my 2 year olds don't come hither if called if they don't want to so that is why but I don't pick them up, I might get them to their feet and lead them but that is it. I am all for children being independent but I haven't met a single child interested in being interrupted from play time to have a diaper change or a potty break. She has been with me since infancy so I guess I have more of a mommy bond with her and that's why.
                  This is funny to me and I wonder what the influencing factor is to their behaviors...

I've never had a child be resistant to being changed.

My routine is to sit in front of my changing mat with my needed supplies and call whomever I am wanting to change.

Then they come when called.

I have "play rules" in place though that dictate that NO ONE touches X's toys when they have to get up to be changed or use the bathroom and that X may return to exactly what/where they were playing when done toileting or being changed.

So I've had the opposite experiences...
                  Makes me seriously wonder what goes through their minds... ::

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                    This is funny to me and I wonder what the influencing factor is to their behaviors...

I've never had a child be resistant to being changed.

My routine is to sit in front of my changing mat with my needed supplies and call whomever I am wanting to change.

Then they come when called.

I have "play rules" in place though that dictate that NO ONE touches X's toys when they have to get up to be changed or use the bathroom and that X may return to exactly what/where they were playing when done toileting or being changed.

So I've had the opposite experiences...
                    Makes me seriously wonder what goes through their minds... ::
                    ha ha, that's me too. I just stay in the changing area and call them over one by one and they happily come! It's always so interesting for me to hear other providers stories! Same with naps...I say who's ready for nap time and they all say me me yeah and go and stand right by their nap area! After reading other posts I have always said I am so happy to have such great kids and a routine that works!

Comment

Maybe I should rephrase. It's not an all out war to diaper change/potty ::

My pottyers when asked always say no when asked, so I always have to coax them to try anyway. And they do, my son is not potty trained and I'm not trying yet, he's not ready but sometimes it can be an event to get his diaper changed once in a while.

I have always used the changing table so I guess I've just got used to bringing them since walking is something that is new to one, the other isn't walking only crawling.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
                        ha ha, that's me too. I just stay in the changing area and call them over one by one and they happily come! It's always so interesting for me to hear other providers stories! Same with naps...I say who's ready for nap time and they all say me me yeah and go and stand right by their nap area! After reading other posts I have always said I am so happy to have such great kids and a routine that works!
                        I've had years like that, and it's awesome! happyface

I got two new kiddos last Fall, and mom had said they were "strong willed"
                        Doesn't even begin to cover it, ::

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I think this is important--I do it too. I had a dcb who would be so afraid of someone taking his toy that he would wet his pants. They have the option of putting their toy on the kitchen counter on the way to the bathroom.

Comment

Working...
                          X