I Fell with One of My Toddlers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Fell with One of My Toddlers!!!

I was always worried about this happening. As I was going in to change my 14 months old's diaper, I slipped on a blanket that was on the floor and went down while holding her. I have hard wood floors and she bumped her head pretty hard as I couldn't catch the fall. I called licensing, I called for pick up as I didn't think the situation warranted a 911 call but I want to make sure she is evaluated for a head injury because we did go down pretty hard and she got the brunt of the fall I feel like. She didn't pass out but has a pretty gnarly looking bruise and scrapes from the floor. I feel so awful and terrible about this. I still have tears in my eyes because I should have been paying attention. I'm in MN, I took a couple pictures of her and mom is sure that she is fine and is going to see what the dr. says. Is there anything else I need to do or should I just wait for licensing to call. Should I expect a visit? I'm nervous because I knew a provider that was shut down for an incident that didn't even happen at her house and she lost everything, now she isn't doing daycare anymore because even though she wasn't found responsible, her families had to make other arrangements during the 4 months she wasn't allowed to operate.

write an accident report and ask mom to sign it.
    PS I change kids on the floor.

Comment

Oh no!! This kind of thing must happen all the time so I hope nothing comes of it. I also change kids on the floor for what it is worth.

Try not to worry :hug:

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
        I was always worried about this happening. As I was going in to change my 14 months old's diaper, I slipped on a blanket that was on the floor and went down while holding her. I have hard wood floors and she bumped her head pretty hard as I couldn't catch the fall. I called licensing, I called for pick up as I didn't think the situation warranted a 911 call but I want to make sure she is evaluated for a head injury because we did go down pretty hard and she got the brunt of the fall I feel like. She didn't pass out but has a pretty gnarly looking bruise and scrapes from the floor. I feel so awful and terrible about this. I still have tears in my eyes because I should have been paying attention. I'm in MN, I took a couple pictures of her and mom is sure that she is fine and is going to see what the dr. says. Is there anything else I need to do or should I just wait for licensing to call. Should I expect a visit? I'm nervous because I knew a provider that was shut down for an incident that didn't even happen at her house and she lost everything, now she isn't doing daycare anymore because even though she wasn't found responsible, her families had to make other arrangements during the 4 months she wasn't allowed to operate.
        Yikes! I am sorry....

I have a friend going through something similar (as your friend not you) and she's been shut down (under TIS) since mid-October :confused:

I don't want to post about her situation openly so I am going to PM you...

Comment

I would instantly put a plan in place to prevent this. No more loose blankets. Changing on floor v/s anywhere else doesn't matter in this particular case because you were carrying child. It just so happened to be for a change. But we carry kids all the time. I would have a plan in place. Today. To prevent a reoccurrence. It happens. It's an accident. Stop trying to worry yourself into a panic and control what you can. Keep busy w that for now and please update.

Comment

I agree with writing up a report, exactly what happened and that mom took to dr, what dr said, etc have mom sign it.

ETA: I am hoping licensing and mom are understanding, as accidents do happen, and this was an accident.

Comment

OK, ok. It was a fluke with the blanket on the floor. I have folded blankets on the shelves underneath, I usually have all my kids in there while I change, I only have 5 including my son. One of the kids must of pulled one of the blankets down and I didn't realize it, until I slipped on it. Today I only had 2, other kids are on vacay, so I think I let my guard down a little because it seems like easy work, usually I pick things up or move them so I don't trip or slip, however, I didn't even notice the blanket on the floor so I wasn't looking at all, obviously. Of course, I haven't heard from licensing yet. I'll write up a report, I've scoured the licensing page and all I see is an incident report and it looks like it's for something more serious. DCM was really nice and kept telling me it was ok and she wasn't mad, that these things happen, even my dcg was hugging me and clinging to me before leaving. I use the table because it's easier on my back then crouching over on the floor and I have hard wood, which isn't as comfortable to my knees

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
                OK, ok. It was a fluke with the blanket on the floor. I have folded blankets on the shelves underneath, I usually have all my kids in there while I change, I only have 5 including my son. One of the kids must of pulled one of the blankets down and I didn't realize it, until I slipped on it. Today I only had 2, other kids are on vacay, so I think I let my guard down a little because it seems like easy work, usually I pick things up or move them so I don't trip or slip, however, I didn't even notice the blanket on the floor so I wasn't looking at all, obviously. Of course, I haven't heard from licensing yet. I'll write up a report, I've scoured the licensing page and all I see is an incident report and it looks like it's for something more serious. DCM was really nice and kept telling me it was ok and she wasn't mad, that these things happen, even my dcg was hugging me and clinging to me before leaving. I use the table because it's easier on my back then crouching over on the floor and I have hard wood, which isn't as comfortable to my knees
                Oh I can see how it could happen. Kids do things and leave things laying around. If I had a dime for every time I tripped on a toy, or a shoe, or a coat, etc. Praying that you feel better soon and that licensing is understanding. It will likely mean a visit, but that usually isn't a big deal, they just might want to see where and how it happened and such.

Comment

I fell in a parking lot with my daughter when she was a baby! So scary!! It was an accident - if document it to death and have parents sign!
                  Good luck but I wouldn't worry too much about it! I know easier said than done!

Comment

Incident report=correct
                    Every incident that results in a doctor visit is considered serious.

Comment

Talked to licensing, I need to fill out an incident report, and then document the update on her medical visit, if she had one and what the Dr. said, and the date and time she returns to care. I'm sure they'll talk to the parents as well. They said I did the right thing, with her being 14 months old, I didn't overreact and provided the right first aid and followed guidelines, called for pick up, realized 911 didn't need to be called because I assessed the situation correctly. I'm going to prepare for a visit, I'm sure I'll get one, and I'll make sure this doesn't happen again. Thanks everyone. Still worried and shaken up a bit but I'll just have to deal.

Comment

Aww, it'll all be fine. Be gentle with yourself.

Comment

You may not get a visit, it sounds like you've covered all your bases. It's good to be on your toes, though, just in case.
                          For what it's worth, it almost happened to me too. I was stepping over a baby gate with a newborn infant and my foot snagged the top rail. I was extremely lucky that someone was on the other side of the gate ano they caught us before we hit the ground. It happens. We're human. Needless to say, I've never crossed over a baby gate holding a child again!

Comment

Hugs

First thing I want to tell you is as the others have said, you have done everything right

The second thing I want to tell you is in the form of an emoji : :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Comment

Thanks a bunch. DCM didn't even take dcg to the doctor, so I'll just keep a close eye on her. My licensor was serious but nice and said I did everything there was to do. I'm dealing with 'mommy guilt', who knew you could have it just as bad as with your own kid. I'll give her extra hugs and kisses tomorrow and I'll just hold her hand and we'll walk places from now on Ugh, terrible feeling but I'll get over it. Thanks so much for the support everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X