How to NICELY, and GENTLY Get Parents to Pick Up and LEAVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to NICELY, and GENTLY Get Parents to Pick Up and LEAVE

Ok, I know I'm not the ONLY one who has this issue.....
    I have two moms....they have become friendly....only during DC pick ups and drop offs.... but they both get here at 4:30 to pick up, and stand around and chit chat........for 15-20 minutes EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! I love these moms, they are sweet and I enjoy talking to them, but I do NOT want to have this go on every single night.....week after week after week. I've had these kids since 7am... I am done for the day. .. how do you find just the right words, or whatever, to usher them out the door without causing bad, or hurt feelings??? I mean, today, I had to get on a fake phone call and say 'i have to take this call, so I'm rushing you out today'..... I can't do that every day..........:confused:

Oh, and it would be easier if they were the last two to leave, but I usually have at least one more here until 5:00. So I can use the old 'I'm leaving' or something to that effect

I have this A LOT! The only thing that works for me is that I take the kids to the door ready to leave when the parent rings the doorbell. I don't allow them to step a foot in my house if at all possible. When that happens then I do the ignoring route. Say my goodbyes and go on about my business.

Comment

Tell them you have to charge them for when the kids are on the property. You love that they chit chat but they need to take it off property. Tell them the fee they pay is for up to the pick up time. If the kids are onsite after them you have to charge a buck a minute.
      http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I usually start getting the other kids ready to go outside while my problem mom is here which requires my 100% attention so I can't talk and its very obvious. Otherwise, I usher all the kids to a different part of the house to "do an activity." Also, my entrance opens right up into my living room which is the main daycare area so I blocked off the entrance with a long bookcase to make it feel cramped and uncomfortable so parents wouldn't want to stand there and talk. It also makes it awkward to talk to someone over a bookcase.

Comment

Well, I know I won't tell them I'll charge more. I just can't do that. I am open until 5 and they can leave them here until 5, they get here at 430.... and the entrance goes right into my playroom. I have thought about having them ready to go, but one is 9 months and the dad drops off and leaves the car seat. I could have her in it ready to go, but it's when the OTHER mom gets here, that they start chatting.
          I am just trying to figure out a way to hand them off and say TTFN!!

Comment

I clean. Honestly, it works every time. I'm all one floor though and so it makes since that I'm picking up and wiping down things at the end of the day. I still engage but it seems if I'm tidying up the place this makes them leave quicker.

Comment

Ugh, I wouldn't mind if it were to happen once in awhile but happening every single day for that length of time would bug me. I have no answer for you, only commiseration because it has happened in the past.

My problem at the moment is, a dcm who BF's her 2 but also brings in her other 2 a lot of the time. This family is wonderful, really they are and probably have no idea how I feel about all this and being too much of a wimp about it, they'll never know either. Her usual stay is 30 minutes. Sometimes even after she finishes BFing, they still stick around another 10-15 minutes. I think what I'm going to start doing is getting the dcks ready to go outside at that time because it's when we usually do in the afternoons anyways. It's just awkward and uncomfortable for me.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. I close at 6pm. Dcm came at 558pm to pick up dcb. She stayed until 613!!!!! I guess take it as a compliment that they like you and want to chit chat. I have tried having kids ready and it doesn't work. Good luck.

Comment

Ok, how does this sound.,,, I slept on it and came up with this.... I let my late boy go. He was here until 530, and I finally gave them notice and sent him off to preschool... so now the last one to pick up is here just before 5:00........ so, I was thinking..... I'm in California, so weather is nice here, and I think I'm going to tell them when they drop off this morning that now that late boy is gone, and I'm off before 5, I am going to start meeting them at the door with the kiddos because BFF and I are going to start walking and I want to quickly get ready so we can leave as soon as last DC child is picked up....... cross your fingers that works!!

Comment

Hope it works for you! happyface

I just addressed this (chatting at pick up) in a recent memo/newsletter to all my families.

It's not identical to your situation, but here's my verbiage:

• I am more than happy to discuss your child’s development here, however, if you require more than a brief daily conversation about your child, I suggest making an appointment outside daycare hours or sending me an email regarding your concerns. As I’m sure you’re aware, pick up and drop off time can be quite chaotic and my focus needs to be on the children that are still in my care instead of at the front door. Please make both pick up and drop off time as brief as possible. It is less stressful for your child, for myself and for the other children present.

Comment

Whatever works! I think because we work from home they think that it's not a big deal, when I think most of us are trying to get away from home at night because we've been 'stuck in the house.'

Comment

"Well ladies, I need to go change baby's diaper and read a couple more stories, see us tomorrow"
                        And hold open the door. Smile. And wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Indoorvoice View Post
                          I usually start getting the other kids ready to go outside while my problem mom is here which requires my 100% attention so I can't talk and its very obvious. Otherwise, I usher all the kids to a different part of the house to "do an activity." Also, my entrance opens right up into my living room which is the main daycare area so I blocked off the entrance with a long bookcase to make it feel cramped and uncomfortable so parents wouldn't want to stand there and talk. It also makes it awkward to talk to someone over a bookcase.
                          Great idea! That's how my joysemis. I constantly telling kids to go play away from the door.

I wI'll also go pretend to write stuff, usually doodling, just to avoid talking so they will leave!

Comment

I address this issue in my contract. Something to the tune of: drop off/pick up time should be kept short, so we can continue on with our routine.

If these two moms need to chat that much every day, they should just meet for happy hour! After taking their kids home to dads, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgirl View Post
                              I address this issue in my contract. Something to the tune of: drop off/pick up time should be kept short, so we can continue on with our routine.

If these two moms need to chat that much every day, they should just meet for happy hour! After taking their kids home to dads, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X