Junk Food Lunches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Food Lunches

I am a licensed Family Child Care Provider. When I make lunches I have to follow a strict guideline for nutrition. I have a very stubborn and picky 4 year old eater here who refused to try anything. Basically lives off of toast, juice, cracker, pretzels, etc. The mother has chosen to start sending this childs lunch with him so "he can get used to taking his own lunch to school". Todays packed lunch consisted of Applesauce, apple juice, pretzels and popcorn. other days there may be a nutella and pretzel snack pack in there. And this is coming from a very well educated woman who actually works in social services and knows the rules in the child care field. Do you feel the kid this type of meal?

I am also on the food program and provide the meals. I tell my parents that because of that fact, they are not allowed to bring any food or drink into my daycare unless there is a medical need for which I would need a doctor's note.

I wouldn't allow that mother to bring any food or drink into your daycare.

Comment

I know I've occasionally had dcks bring in a lunchbox because they only had half a day of school, or something like that. I'm amazed at some of the stuff they bring to school for lunch. I remember a dcb brought pepperoni once, I haven't served pepperoni in probably 8 years. Another dck(diabetic at that) had chips, bread and butter. Some kids seem to bring nothing more than a continuous supply of fruit snacks, cracker packs, chips and juices. If lucky, they might get an apple.

Comment

I am not in the program here that reimburses me for food. I simply didnt want to go through the hassle of getting into that program, so I am really not at liberty to deny the parent a home packed lunch. Today, I let him have his applesauce and apple juice but made him a turkey and cheese wrap and potato soup (which i refer to as french fry soup). He wouldnt touch it. I was able to get him to take the smallest little nibble to try the wrap..."he dont like it", got a little sip of the soup..."he dont like it". This is an every day battle. Before mom started bringing the lunch box, I actually had him trying new things. This lunch box has set us WAY back! I think because he knows that mom send a lunch.

Comment

As PermanentVacation does, I tell my DCFs the same thing. No outside food or drink except for a birthday or last-day treat to be shared by everyone (those are served as a dessert after lunch and does not interfere with my claiming).

I have found we have to be very careful what we say to the DCMs and DCDs without sounding judgmental, even when it is glaringly obvious that they are falling pretty short of healthy parenting. And usually they don't want to hear about it complicating things for ourselves either (extra prep, fighting between the DCKs cuz someone has something "better," outrageous behavior by DCK overloaded on sugar and carbs) because they do, after all, pay us massive amounts of money every week.

My advice would be to tell your DCM that your case worker stopped by today, and explained that it actually isn't allowed. I would say something like: I know you prefer to bring DCKs food, but it is against the CACFP regulations. Violating those regulations, especially after a warning, puts my program in jeopardy of permanently losing this benefit. But you have to admit that having your child in a state regulated environment is a comfort!

Then take Black Cat's advice on picky eaters. It is spot on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KIDZRMYBIZ View Post
            As PermanentVacation does, I tell my DCFs the same thing. No outside food or drink except for a birthday or last-day treat to be shared by everyone (those are served as a dessert after lunch and does not interfere with my claiming).

I have found we have to be very careful what we say to the DCMs and DCDs without sounding judgmental, even when it is glaringly obvious that they are falling pretty short of healthy parenting. And usually they don't want to hear about it complicating things for ourselves either (extra prep, fighting between the DCKs cuz someone has something "better," outrageous behavior by DCK overloaded on sugar and carbs) because they do, after all, pay us massive amounts of money every week.

My advice would be to tell your DCM that your case worker stopped by today, and explained that it actually isn't allowed. I would say something like: I know you prefer to bring DCKs food, but it is against the CACFP regulations. Violating those regulations, especially after a warning, puts my program in jeopardy of permanently losing this benefit. But you have to admit that having your child in a state regulated environment is a comfort!

Then take Black Cat's advice on picky eaters. It is spot on!!!

Comment

OP's post came in while I was typing mine. Never mind then, if you don't have CACFP to pretend police you.

I suppose then that your only option is to either:

A. Try to educate DCM and see if she packs something healthier/more balanced.

B. Just have DCK eat what DCM packs and bite your tongue.

C. Ditch most of DCMs junk food and serve a little of it with your own healthier options and hope DCK develops a palette for healthier food!

Comment

I know you will all flip out on me, but here it goes!
                I know a bit about nutrition and what is best but as a parent I would much rather my child eat something they enjoy even if its considered junk food than barely eat something or not at all of a healthy item. While I understand you want the children to eat healthy as a mom I would rather know my child is eating something even if its day 65 of the same pb&J lunch sandwich. I am all for providers wanting to offer healthy alternatives but I find there is alot of parent bashing regarding parental choices. Not everyone eats healthy foods, some by choice some by need.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  I know you will all flip out on me, but here it goes!
                  I know a bit about nutrition and what is best but as a parent I would much rather my child eat something they enjoy even if its considered junk food than barely eat something or not at all of a healthy item. While I understand you want the children to eat healthy as a mom I would rather know my child is eating something even if its day 65 of the same pb&J lunch sandwich. I am all for providers wanting to offer healthy alternatives but I find there is alot of parent bashing regarding parental choices. Not everyone eats healthy foods, some by choice some by need.
                  From the provider's side, the issue is more of the consequences of the poor diet. The diet the OP describes is all sugar and carbs (which the body converts to sugar). That kid is probably bouncing off the walls, a terrible napper, and I'd bet has digestive issues to boot!

And from the provider's perspective, think of the other DCKs pouting because instead of popcorn/juice/chocolate they get chicken breast/carrots and peas/dinner roll/white milk. I hear a loud chorus of NOT FAIRs!

OP's DCM could pack 1 protein, ONE grain (ONE!), 1 veg, ONE fruit (ONE!), and white milk. There are plenty of options in each category that I'm sure she could find at least a few that appeal to her child's palette.

Yep, good parenting IS hard. Teaching kids to be healthy (and learn to like it) IS hard. But they are worth it!

Comment

so I am really not at liberty to deny the parent a home packed lunch.
                    It's your program. That means YOUR rules.
                    I would require a well balance healthy meal be sent. If that does not happen, then serve what you made the others and if the child choose to not eat, so be it. I would charge the parent for the additional cost of providing a substitute meal each time a sub-par lunch is sent with the child. I would never agree to provide care to a child if either myself or the parents were not offering a well balanced, healthy meal. If they want to live on junk food outside of care, that is on them.

Comment

Honestly I don't care if the dck's eat or not. I provide the food, they eat or go hungry. I don't give reports to parents because then they start bringing unhealthy snacks at pick up, which just gets under my skin. (If the parents ask I tell them) The child won't starve themselves. It's their choice. I don't allow any outside food or drink unless its a birthday and then the parents ask. If they have a special diet, allergy, then I provide the parents with the food programs requirements.
                      Btw I'm not on the food program but I'm required to use their guidelines.

Comment

I only allow food and drinks to be brought from home if the child is on a special diet that a doctor will write a diagnosis for. I had one vegetarian mom interview and I was going to try to offer a vegetarian menu the two days a week her DD would be here if she signed up. But that is because I thought it would be good for us, and it would still have met nutritional guidelines.

Comment

I also can't allow dcp to provide food. But totally sounds like what my dd would like in her lunch. Dcm needs practice packaging lunch for sure. Dd school rules sugar can't be in 1st three ingredients of food item.

Comment

I am not in the program here that reimburses me for food. I simply didnt want to go through the hassle of getting into that program, so I am really not at liberty to deny the parent a home packed lunch. Today, I let him have his applesauce and apple juice but made him a turkey and cheese wrap and potato soup (which i refer to as french fry soup). He wouldnt touch it. I was able to get him to take the smallest little nibble to try the wrap..."he dont like it", got a little sip of the soup..."he dont like it". This is an every day battle. Before mom started bringing the lunch box, I actually had him trying new things. This lunch box has set us WAY back! I think because he knows that mom send a lunch.
                            Is this not your business? You can make a rule that says no food from home. Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by jenboo View Post
                              Is this not your business? You can make a rule that says no food from home. Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

Comment

Working...
                              X