X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    ::::

Another forum "classic"!
    There should be a special section with all the "best of" threads pinned.

Comment

We also only do a water table here, and put measuring cups, funnels, plastic bottles, water wheels, etc. in it. We put painting smocks on to cover their clothes but they don't seem to get too wet anyway.

And I wouldn't worry about parents complaining or being unhappy (easier said than done, I know!). Some things just aren't realistic in group care, especially when there's just one provider and so many little ones! If a parent asks or complains I would just say something like, "I plan my water play/swimming time based on the needs of the group."

Comment

Water table here too and a water wall. We also use buckets and sponges to wash play houses, bubble play with the big wands from the dollar store, cheap full size size paint brushes and buckets of water to paint with water, etc.

Some parents send kiddos in their suit (2's). I don't do suits for under two. Shorts and shirts dry! Or I change them. Older kids can bring suits and change if the want to. I don't get kids in and out of suits!

Comment

I also set up a cute coffee shop that they use for long blocks of time. I got two cheap tea sets (but they are decent quality) and one better one from goodwill.

I saved vanilla bottles, empty spice bottles, empty foam soap bottles (for the foam on the cappuccino), some plastic food like cookies, spoons, honey bears, etc.

I have a low rectangular folding child's table I set up for the coffee shop. I set out bowls of water so they can refill the tea pots themselves, a few small cups of sand for sugar, and let them go to it. It looks messy, but the sand washes away easily at clean up and they are so focused and involved with this. I LOVE this activity!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I also set up a cute coffee shop that they use for long blocks of time. I got two cheap tea sets (but they are decent quality) and one better one from goodwill.

I saved vanilla bottles, empty spice bottles, empty foam soap bottles (for the foam on the cappuccino), some plastic food like cookies, spoons, honey bears, etc.

I have a low rectangular folding child's table I set up for the coffee shop. I set out bowls of water so they can refill the tea pots themselves, a few small cups of sand for sugar, and let them go to it. It looks messy, but the sand washes away easily at clean up and they are so focused and involved with this. I LOVE this activity!
            I LOVE this idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgirl View Post
              I LOVE this idea!
              Thanks! I'm not sure how I came up with this idea! One of my few originals.....usually they come from blogs or Pinterest.

It even engages older children.

Comment

Boy I'd give anything for sprinkler days here! We are in a drought here in CA and had to cut our water usage by 30% from 2013. We can't water or use our sprinklers from 10 am - 8 pm. This summer, I've been using a water table for the kids. Freezing colored water in ice cube trays and letting them play with kitchen utensils- like slotted spoons, sives, etc.

Comment

So I was thinking of you all today...::

I bought a sprinkler toy to use. Today is the first day of summer vacation here and I have a houseful. Great plans - sprinklers, picnic, games, etc.

I know, I know::

So we get ready to do the sprinklers - most of my kids get themselves ready, no biggie. I used spray sunscreen on them. All good, right?

They argued the entire time.

"He's getting me wet!" "She's splashed me!" "STOP DOING THAT!" "I'm not doing anything!" "He keeps going through my spray!"

Finally turn it off and get everyone inside to change. Kids purposely running around naked, leaving a trail of wet suits and towels all over.

Get everyone changed, have them clean up their mess. They can't stop wrestling and running all over.

Now, I got some great pics, and the parents will love them. But I can't help but think if I were running video they would be HORRIFIED to hear the kids behaving the way they were.

But I get the last laugh - every single one of them is laying down for nap right now. Every. single. one. ::

I'm telling you flat here and now - this was the LAST time we will do that again. I am sticking to the water table and clothes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                    So I was thinking of you all today...::

I bought a sprinkler toy to use. Today is the first day of summer vacation here and I have a houseful. Great plans - sprinklers, picnic, games, etc.

I know, I know::

So we get ready to do the sprinklers - most of my kids get themselves ready, no biggie. I used spray sunscreen on them. All good, right?

They argued the entire time.

"He's getting me wet!" "She's splashed me!" "STOP DOING THAT!" "I'm not doing anything!" "He keeps going through my spray!"

Finally turn it off and get everyone inside to change. Kids purposely running around naked, leaving a trail of wet suits and towels all over.

Get everyone changed, have them clean up their mess. They can't stop wrestling and running all over.

Now, I got some great pics, and the parents will love them. But I can't help but think if I were running video they would be HORRIFIED to hear the kids behaving the way they were.

But I get the last laugh - every single one of them is laying down for nap right now. Every. single. one. ::

I'm telling you flat here and now - this was the LAST time we will do that again. I am sticking to the water table and clothes on.
                    LOL!

I really did Laugh Out Loud!!! :: ::

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                      LOL!

I really did Laugh Out Loud!!! :: ::
                      I can laugh now cause everyone is sleeping! ::::::

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

This is a super cute idea!

Comment

We are going all out tomorrow! We are making a big water blob (search Pinterest), filling the wading pool, and turning on the sprinkler.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgirl View Post
                            We are going all out tomorrow! We are making a big water blob (search Pinterest), filling the wading pool, and turning on the sprinkler.
                            Oh my gosh! That looks like so much fun. I am going to get the supplies this weekend and try it out.

Comment

I very rarely do water play here. I have three and sometimes four daycare kids. The one family has a 5, 8 year old and 16 month old. The other is a 6 year old girl. The one family has an in ground pool at home so no water play I do measures up with the kids. The other child is only here once in a while.

Not only do I rarely do water time I rarely do outside time. I kid you not all they do is complain! "it's too hot out here. It's not hot enough out here. The bugs are biting me. It's not fair..the bugs are biting her but not me! The sun is too bright. The sun isn't bright enough. The sky is too blue, the grass not green enough..blah blah blah" LOL. They beg to go outside then sit down after 1 minute and complain. Too much work getting them ready for 1 minute. I know that they spend all evening playing outside at home so I don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post
                                Oh my gosh! That looks like so much fun. I am going to get the supplies this weekend and try it out.
                                They had a blast!

Comment

Working...
                                X