Providing Cups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providing Cups

I know we are supposed to have cups of water available 24/7 for kids. I have 2.5 and younger. No one can distinguish their own cups, or cute labels. They just grab whatever cup is closest. The oldest few can tell, but it doesn't stop the youngest ones from grabbing their cups.

I have Dixie cups available with water, but they still have to ask me for it and no one ever does.

I don't have individual cubbies because I have an open play area concept and for 9 kids that would take up too much room.

And ideas?

I don't leave their cups out for them. All food and drinks stay in the kitchen and they need to sit at the table. No walking around with food or cups, for the reason you mentioned, them grabbing whichever cup is nearby. Also because I do not want extra messes. They do not need to drink and play at the same time.

The play room is for playing, the kitchen is for eating and drinking, the living room is for sitting nicely and watching a show (occasionally)

They can have it whenever they want, but at the table. Pretty much they have their drinks at meals and snacks, after we go outside and occasionally in between. In the summer they are more thirsty.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyMom View Post
      I don't leave their cups out for them. All food and drinks stay in the kitchen and they need to sit at the table. No walking around with food or cups, for the reason you mentioned, them grabbing whichever cup is nearby. Also because I do not want extra messes. They do not need to drink and play at the same time.

The play room is for playing, the kitchen is for eating and drinking, the living room is for sitting nicely and watching a show (occasionally)

They can have it whenever they want, but at the table. Pretty much they have their drinks at meals and snacks, after we go outside and occasionally in between. In the summer they are more thirsty.
      exactly the same here. we don't have any written regulations about it aside from "drinking water shall be available at all times". To me that means I need to have water available, it does not mean a child has to have a cup in their hand at all times. Its available as long as its in my home, they ask for it or need it and I will provide it.

Comment

I keep cups accessible all day long- tends to stop the begging for snacks, when I just hand them a cup of water. They travel throughout the day- sometimes they are up on the counter, sometimes they are on the train table, I'm not too picky- but I only have six kids. Two of my kids bring their own cups from home, and the rest use my personal stash of those reusable cups with lids. If one of the babies grabs another child's cup, I just say, "oops, that's (x) cup" and hand it to the rightful owner. It's cute now that the little ones go around handing the older children their cups (even when the older ones don't want it).
        I don't think it's in my regulations to have water accessible, but I do. To each their own

Comment

Originally posted by Shell View Post
          I keep cups accessible all day long- tends to stop the begging for snacks, when I just hand them a cup of water. They travel throughout the day- sometimes they are up on the counter, sometimes they are on the train table, I'm not too picky- but I only have six kids. Two of my kids bring their own cups from home, and the rest use my personal stash of those reusable cups with lids. If one of the babies grabs another child's cup, I just say, "oops, that's (x) cup" and hand it to the rightful owner. It's cute now that the little ones go around handing the older children their cups (even when the older ones don't want it).
          I don't think it's in my regulations to have water accessible, but I do. To each their own
          These are our regs for water:

(13) The licensee must provide a source of sanitary drinking water located in or convenient to rooms occupied by children.
          (14) Educators must offer water to children at frequent intervals and upon request by children.

Comment

I have parents provide a spill proof cup or reusable water bottle that is to stay here. That way the same child gets the same cup every single day. My group is 18 months - newly turned 3 year old and they have all been able to tell which cup is theirs. But, I only have 5 kiddos so there are not many cups

I keep the cups on a shelf in the playroom. Children may drink whenever, but they have to stay at the shelf with the cup while they drink. Walking around with the cup is not allowed.

ETA: When we are sitting down eating at the table we use regular open top cups. The spill proof cups are just for water access outside of meal/snack times.

Comment

I have the children's cup filled with a little bit of water on the kitchen counter (I put more water as they become older and better at getting their cup. My daycare space is separate from my main house and is like a little one bedroom apartment). I have a 16month old, two 2 yr olds, two 4 yr olds, but from the time they start with me they are given a specific color cup (bought at ikea set of 6 and I have 5 kids right now). They use the same cup for breakfast, lunch, snack, and for water throughout the day. From when they begin here I teach them which color cup is theirs. This also teaches them color recognition. If they are too small to get it from the counter for water they call me to help or one of the older kids will help them until they can reach their own cup. It usually takes them 2 weeks to learn and recognize their own cup even my 16 month old (she has a sippy type color cup which she had since 12 months when she started eating regular meals). In the beginning the children who can recognize will tell the other children who can't. They will even tell me if I accidentally place it at a wrong child's lunch setting. One thing I learned when I first started in early childhood education, never underestimate a child's abilities no mater what age, they will surprise you with what they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyMom View Post
                These are our regs for water:

(13) The licensee must provide a source of sanitary drinking water located in or convenient to rooms occupied by children.
                (14) Educators must offer water to children at frequent intervals and upon request by children.

Comment

I provide each child a sippy cup. They have access to it all day. I have a different color for each child and they have all been able to tell which up is theirs since about 18 months.

Comment

I had each parent provide a sports bottle type cup. No straws allowed, I hate trying to clean those. We have thier names on them.

I love this method because I can have the older kids hand them out to the rest. They know better than I do which cup belongs to who.

I fill them each morning and they are in a basket in my kitchen. YOu must sit down at the table to drink, no walking around. You can have it at any time of the day, but you must sit down.

We do have scheduled water breaks for the non-talkers so that they get enough fluids.

I wash them at the end of the day. Fill them up, in the basket they go. rinse and repeat.

Comment

I have both sippy cups and regular cups. My older 1's (some) and 2's and older use regular cups. I give each child the same colored cup every day and talk about the color of their cup. They seem to be doing great with it. I leave water in them all day and they can get them when they want. For the younger kids, they have sippy cups and I just offer them water throughout the day.

I do have to say thought, that although water is available every day, I have a playroom that is gated off. We spend most of our days in there. I leave their waters out in the kitchen and if they ask for some, they can have some, but they rarely ask. Also, we eat every 2-3 hours and they have drinks then too. No one ever seems super thirsty.

Comment

We have those take n toss cups, which come in several different colors, so each kid has their own color, and the older ones have 'combo' colors (red with purple lid, etc). They also are labeled with names and initials on the lids.
                        We keep them all day up on a highish shelf that no one under about 2.5 can reach. If the little ones want it, they stand by the shelf and reach, and I'll grab theirs for them. The big ones can reach them. Everyone knows to drink them right there and put them back, and the little ones I just put back for them. They are in sight at all times, so its pretty easy for the kids to remember they need a drink, and also high enough that only big kids can handle it.

Comment

I'm feeling better about this. My kitchen is upstairs so I think if I just keep offering them water from the sink in Dixie cups when we are not at snack and lunch, I am okay. Whew!

Comment

I have different colored cups and each kids get the same cup everyday. They eventually figure it out.

Comment

I sort of have that theory to Shell. For me I buy two sets of cups for each child. One always has water in it and the other is for milk. My kids are 3 and younger.
                              Deb

Comment

Working...
                              X