No announcement yet.

Wanna know how much dcps actually work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna know how much dcps actually work?

Send emails to their work address and watch the "out of office" auto replies roll in.

Happens every weekday to me. And its primarily my most challenging DCB who gets dropped off at 7 am or earlier.

Haha......BUSTED!

Comment

This is why I switched my policy this year. I give a slight discount for teachers and I only give the discount if they agree to keep the children home when they are not working. I print out their school schedule each month that lists days off and have them sign it. I also let them know days taken off for vacation or personal need to be paid and kids stay home. The discount is worth every penny. You can implement the same thing for any parent.

Comment

Ah, that's sad for DCB

Do you have a policy about working?

I'd ask DCM to give you a CORRECT schedule as far as where she is day to day so that you know where to reach her.

If she's paying for services and you have no rule about having to be at work, maybe she doesn't realize you sometimes need to e-mail her so she needs to make sure she lets you know where she will be each day so she is reachable.

Comment

May I ask why it matters?

There are days where I may not be at work, but I still need someone to watch my child. For example, I had a doctor's appointment last week. I didn't think it was appropriate to take him along so I took him to daycare for a couple of hours. As long as the provider is paid and knows how to reach me is it really anyone's business?

Comment

I have one that when she is in training this message will come up, because she is away from her desk for the day. She almost always lets me know to contact by cell on these days, or her supervisors line.

Comment

Originally posted by Random parent View Post

There are days where I may not be at work, but I still need someone to watch my child. For example, I had a doctor's appointment last week. I didn't think it was appropriate to take him along so I took him to daycare for a couple of hours. As long as the provider is paid and knows how to reach me is it really anyone's business?
              No. Unless they are my clients because I provide CONTRACTED CARE only... Based ONLY on their work schedule. I'm not saying if they told me ahead of time I would have an issue, but I go by their actual schedule and that's how my program works.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
                Send emails to their work address and watch the "out of office" auto replies roll in.

Happens every weekday to me. And its primarily my most challenging DCB who gets dropped off at 7 am or earlier.
                Because there IS a direct correlation between behaviors of a child and the amount of face time they have with their parent.

As long as the provider is paid and knows how to reach me is it really anyone's business?
                For some providers it is vital that the parent respect the fact that the provider is NOT babysitter but a care provider for when parents work.

When parents adopt the attitude of "as long as I am reachable and you are being paid" it really leaves a bad or less than positive impression on the provider in regards to the level of respect a parent has for their provider.

Personally, I don't care what parents do when their child is here but I know some providers DO care and some providers do not appreciate a parent dumping their kid every day just so they can have "me time."

Comment

I don't really care what the parents are doing when the kids are here either.

I do feel sad when a child gets picked up after a full day here and then goes straight to the gym daycare for another hour or two though BUT, still not my business.

Comment

It is really sad that many children spend more (by a lot) waking hours with us a week. As BC said, there is a correlation between hours spent with a parent and behavior. We see these children light up at the slightest bit of attention from a parent. It is hard for me to have any respect for a parent that uses all of their free time from work as me time verses time with their kids. Just bc you can have your child watched by someone else all the time doesn't mean you should.
                    I prefer to have clients that I can respect.

Comment

It irritates me, depending on what the parents are doing. Doctor appointment, vehicle maintence, stuff like that where having a child with you would be MUCH more difficult, I don't mind if these things are done while their children are here.

However, things like grocery shopping(unless you have 8 children or a brand new infant, then I understand) and running simple errands, I get annoyed with. Those are things your child should be doing WITH you. I know it's not as convenient, and it's more difficult to lug along a child, but it's YOUR child, and they need those life experiences. Use them as a learning experience, instead of thinking of it as a chore or a hassle to deal with them while you do those errands.

Also, after my recent escapade with being unable to reach a DCP for FOUR hours while his child was in the hospital, it's no longer okay with me for me to not be able to reach a parent. EVER. That childs mother better be available by phone, email is a different story

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                        Because there IS a direct correlation between behaviors of a child and the amount of face time they have with their parent.

For some providers it is vital that the parent respect the fact that the provider is NOT babysitter but a care provider for when parents work.

When parents adopt the attitude of "as long as I am reachable and you are being paid" it really leaves a bad or less than positive impression on the provider in regards to the level of respect a parent has for their provider.

Personally, I don't care what parents do when their child is here but I know some providers DO care and some providers do not appreciate a parent dumping their kid every day just so they can have "me time."
                        And the thing is, I work in a center. Whether the parent is at work or painting their toenails has no effect on me. I have to show up and get paid either way. Nor do I really care.

It does, however, affect the child as BC said. And there's a huge difference between dropping your child off for a couple hours or even a day here and there, and making your child have 10 and 11 hour daycare days when its not necessary, especially when the child is already having problems.

I was just pointing out the new thing I was noticing. I have mostly new parents this year and apparently they don't know not to give out their work email.

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
                          No. Unless they are my clients because I provide CONTRACTED CARE only... Based ONLY on their work schedule. I'm not saying if they told me ahead of time I would have an issue, but I go by their actual schedule and that's how my program works.

I think we are talking about two separate things. I'm talking about hours that are already covered by the contract. I'm not talking about extra time above and beyond what our contract says. If I'm taking time off work to take care of things then it is during time that I've already arranged with you to care for my child.

Comment

Originally posted by Random Parent Again View Post
                            I think we are talking about two separate things. I'm talking about hours that are already covered by the contract. I'm not talking about extra time above and beyond what our contract says. If I'm taking time off work to take care of things then it is during time that I've already arranged with you to care for my child.
                            If it were the occasional day that you as a parent take off of work and need to go to the doctor than why not pick your child up early? Just because you have agreed to send your child in every day and have paid for that doesn't mean your child wouldn't benefit from an hour early pick up so you can spend some quality time together. If you have 2 personal days a year spend one for appointments and one for your child. Yes, on a contracted day during contracted hours. I am home with my children because I work from home. My husband works Monday through Friday. When he takes a day off for a doctors appointment I ask that he spend the rest of his day off doing something nice with the kids bc they miss him. All day long they talk about him. Since we see that your children miss you too we would like for them to get the attention they deserve.
                            I don't understand why a parent would argue this point. I don't understand why a parent would not know or care that their child so wants that extra time with them. This is a concept I will never understand.

Comment

"Out of office" doesn't necessarily mean "not working", though. I'm sure most employees are out of their office from time to time, but still doing something work-related. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X