Heads up MD providers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads up MD providers

I just saw the proposed changes to the MD regs , they start on page 3 . Here are a few of the changes .

Rooms Used for Care
    – When approved for infants and toddlers, a designated space is provided for mothers to breastfeed or express breast milk that is not located in a bathroom, has access to an electrical outlet, appropriate seating,
    access to running water, and accommodates a mother’s need for privacy.

Training Requirements
    – Effective January 1, 2016, complete approved training in supporting breastfeeding practices
    (if approved for infants and toddler care) and three clock hours of approved training in complying with the Americans
    with Disabilities Act.

General Supervision
    – Provide supervision that is appropriate to the individual age, needs, capabilities, activities, and
    location of the child and may include, but not be limited to making reasonable accommodations for a child with special
    needs in accordance with applicable federal and state law, and allowing an adult who provides specialized services to
    a child in care having special needs to provide those services at the home in accordance with the child’s individualized
    education plan, individualized family services plan, or written behavioral plan.

Activities– Screen Time Activities
    The following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
    (a) “Passive technology” means non-interactive television, videos, and streaming media.
    (b)
    “Interactive technology” means educational and age-appropriate technology designed to facilitate active
    and creative use and to encourage social engagement with other children and adults, including programs,
    applications (apps), non-commercial television programming, videos, streaming media, and e-books.

2.Limited use of appropriate interactive technology may support, but may not replace, creative play, physical
    activity, hands-on exploration, outdoor experiences, social interactions and other developmentally appropriate
    learning activities for children aged two and older.

3.Children under the age of two may not view any passive technology.

4.Children two years old and older may view no more than thirty minutes of age-appropriate, educational passive
    technology per week.

5.Exceptions.
    (a)
    Occasional exceptions to the weekly passive technology viewing limit may be made for special events or
    projects, including holiday or birthday celebrations, or educational content related to curriculum.
    (b)
    Written records shall be kept on file for exceptions to the weekly passive technology viewing limit, documenting the title and length of the programming viewed and the reason for the exception.

6.No children may view any:
    (a)
    Passive or active technology during meals or snacks unless such viewing is included in the child’s Individualized Family Service Plan, Individualized Education Plan, or similar document, or
    (b) Media with brand placement or advertising for unhealthy or sugary food and beverages.

7.The provider/operator shall give the parent of each enrolled child a written screen time policy addressing the
    use of passive and interactive technology.

Rooms Used for Care
    – When approved for infants and toddlers, a designated space is provided for mothers to breastfeed or express breast milk that is not located in a bathroom, has access to an electrical outlet, appropriate seating,
    access to running water, and accommodates a mother’s need for privacy.

How can this even be possible ? Can't be in a bathroom , must have running water but must be private which means no kitchen , the only other room which would have running water. :confused:

Comment

If those rules/regulations came my way (to MN) I'd stop taking infants and toddlers in a heart beat.

I have an entire house used for child care and I couldn't reasonably manage the breast feeding rules/regulations.

I DO like the technology rules though.

I've been a long-time advocate of NO screen time in child care.

Even "educational" technology.

Comment

Thank you...I was considering giving up school age but this may change my mind to do only school age. Not too concerned about screen time, although my kids do love an episode of Caillou after lunch.

Comment

If this does pass then I will no longer accept under 2 yrs . And that stinks because I love having the 12-18 month olds .

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            If those rules/regulations came my way (to MN) I'd stop taking infants and toddlers in a heart beat.

I have an entire house used for child care and I couldn't reasonably manage the breast feeding rules/regulations.

I DO like the technology rules though.

I've been a long-time advocate of NO screen time in child care.

Even "educational" technology.
            What is their definition of a toddler? With extended breastfeeding a child all the way up to five could be breast feeding.

This is going to lead to many providers only accepting formula fed babies.

If I had this regulation, I wouldn't accept any breast fed babies. I don't want to be forced to do onsite feeding. (I don't do onsite feeding for any child whether breast, bottle, cup etc. Nothing personal.)
            http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

and accommodates a mother’s need for privacy.

Have any of you providers who offer onsite breastfeeding had a mother who wanted privacy?

Comment

or express breast milk that is not located in a bathroom, has access to an electrical outlet,

I'm confused as to why a mother would need to express milk at a child care???

Comment

That is absolutely insane. I would drop my license in a moment (I can operate unlicensed in my state) or just quit the business.

Comment

4.Children two years old and older may view no more than thirty minutes of age-appropriate, educational passive
                    technology per week.

Per WEEK?

What is the value of allowing thirty minutes a week? That is ridiculous.

Either you allow it or you don't.

Comment

For us a child under 2 is a toddler per our regs , so this would apply to all infants up to age 2 .

It does not matter if the mother does not want privacy it is that we must have it available with running water . We all know how differently each person interprets regulations if not spelled out exactly what is expected . One person says just a cloth to cover up another may require a closed door room for privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                        technology per week.

Per WEEK?

What is the value of allowing thirty minutes a week? That is ridiculous.

Either you allow it or you don't.

The 30 min of screen time has been a reg for a while , the documenting and the difference between passive and interactive is the new part .

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                          and accommodates a mother’s need for privacy.

Have any of you providers who offer onsite breastfeeding had a mother who wanted privacy?
                          I've only had one mom ever ask to do it and she sat in my living room with a blanket over her. My guess is that if they pass this you will be required to have this privacy area if you are licensed for this age group. Not accepting breast fed babies will probably not be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                            That is absolutely insane. I would drop my license in a moment (I can operate unlicensed in my state) or just quit the business.
                            Everyone here is required to be licensed or you are operating illegally.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
                              I've only had one mom ever ask to do it and she sat in my living room with a blanket over her. My guess is that if they pass this you will be required to have this privacy area if you are licensed for this age group. Not accepting breast fed babies will probably not be an option.
                              Training Requirements
                              – Effective January 1, 2016, complete approved training in supporting breastfeeding practices
                              (if approved for infants and toddler care) and three clock hours of approved training in complying with the Americans
                              with Disabilities Act.

I bet in this training you would hear that you can not turn away someone because they want to breastfeed in your home .

Comment

Working...
                              X