Parental Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlelearnersdaycare View Post
    When she asked me in person, I was caught off guard and agreed. But after I realized how it would affect my daycare, I confronted her. I wish I would have said no right away, but unfortunately I didnt. You live and learn, and I'll have to learn from this. I've only been doing daycare for about a year, so I'm still learning. Dealing with the parents is DEFINITELY the hardest part of my job!
    I have the "deer in headlights" syndrome too. I tend to agree to things and after thinking about what I agreed to, I don't have the same answer and I get angry at myself for agreeing to things too fast.
    But, like you said, you live and learn. I have learned a lot from the wonderful people on this forum and have been getting better at a lot of issues or things that I should say or do in this business. As we call it on here, getting a backbone!

Comment

When she asked me in person, I was caught off guard and agreed. But after I realized how it would affect my daycare, I confronted her. I wish I would have said no right away, but unfortunately I didnt. You live and learn, and I'll have to learn from this. I've only been doing daycare for about a year, so I'm still learning. Dealing with the parents is DEFINITELY the hardest part of my job!
      So how did she take it when you told her? Unless I'm misunderstanding the post it looks like after thinking about it you will continue to go to the parks. I also need to work on not answering right away! I'm getting better but it's a hard habit to break

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
        So how did she take it when you told her? Unless I'm misunderstanding the post it looks like after thinking about it you will continue to go to the parks. I also need to work on not answering right away! I'm getting better but it's a hard habit to break
        Well, what I ended up doing was telling her that I will withhold park visits for the rest of the year (due to snow falling aoon we will not be going to the park anyway). But I said that next year when we start doing park visits again I WILL have her resign the field trip form or else she will have to find other care. I wish I would have stuck to my guns right away, but like I said, I'm learning!

Comment

Originally posted by hope View Post
          I am never good when I need to respond quickly and usually give in too and later regret it. Next time any parent makes a request say that you need to think about it and will get back to them. Even for small things. If you really regret it you can say that you were put on the spot and after putting some thought into it you changed your mind.
          Thanks for the advice! That's a great idea. I'll try to use that from now on. I think that would really help!

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
            I would tell mom that if she wants to revoke her permission, then you'll need her two weeks notice, paid in full. I would certainly not allow a parent to dictate what I do. She signed up knowing you went on walks.

I hope you have a termination policy. If she gave you. Deposit, I wouldn't refund it either. She knew what she was signing up for.
            Yes I have a termination policy, two weeks notice oaid in full. I strongly enforce that. My contract is fairly strict, but for good reasons! I really wish I would have stuck to my guns. Oh well!

Comment

You know, it's okay to approach DCM and say "I've had some more time to think about your request. Unfortunately I will not be able to accommodate it as its unfair to the other families and children. I completely understand if you need to find other care more suitable to your needs." If she comes back with anything just keep repeating a variation of what you said (broken record technique )

My personal policy is to never give an yes/no answer when approached with a request. It's always "I'll have to think about it and get back to you." Even if it seems like a mundane request. Took years to get there (and it's not perfect) but it buys me time.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                You know, it's okay to approach DCM and say "I've had some more time to think about your request. Unfortunately I will not be able to accommodate it as its unfair to the other families and children. I completely understand if you need to find other care more suitable to your needs." If she comes back with anything just keep repeating a variation of what you said (broken record technique )

I agree

It is the truth. After you thought about it you regretted saying yes.

Today is a beautiful day here and we went a wonderful nature walk. I would be fuming to myself if I weren't able to do this today due to circumstances such as yours.

There is still a lot of fall left, January is a long way off. Not sure about where you live, but we don't usually expect snow until mid-late December, plenty of time left for walks and the park! (Unless it were 3 years ago when we had a freak snowstorm for Halloween! That was interesting!)

Comment

Snow falls here late october sometimes! (unfortunately) Since I already agreed to having her resign next year, I am going to stick with that. I understand where everyone is coming from, and i wish i would have said something like that sooner.. But i don't like to go back on my word. I'll just have to make sure i stick to it next time!

Comment

Snow falls here late october sometimes! (unfortunately) Since I already agreed to having her resign next year, I am going to stick with that. I understand where everyone is coming from, and i wish i would have said something like that sooner.. But i don't like to go back on my word. I'll just have to make sure i stick to it next time!
                    Welcome to the forum!

We are not too far from one another

Comment

Thank you! I think i'm really going to enjoy this. It helps to be able to talk to people who understand the things we as daycare providers have to deal with!

Comment

Thank you! I think i'm really going to enjoy this. It helps to be able to talk to people who understand the things we as daycare providers have to deal with!
                        Just remember. You are allowed to change your mind if a decision you have made interrupts what you want your business to be!!

We've all been there. Stick around and do some reading and you'll see!!

Comment

I just thought I would give everyone an update on the current situation i'm dealing with. I told this DCP to go home and talk to her husband about signing the field trip form next year. She came back yesterday and said they still will not be comfortable with me taking their children to the park. Therefore, i told her on the spot that she will need to find other daycare. Because i know the difficulty in finding good childcare, i am giving them four weeks to find other care.
                          Also, is it weird that i feel completely offended by her distrust in me? I am a licensed childcare provider and am perfectly capable of watching 5-8 children play at the park. She kept saying that she was "surprised other parents weren't nervous". To me this is like a slap in the face to the other parents and i don't like it. I'm glad that we have hashed this situation and i will no longer have to worry about this odd request. I feel much better and want to thank everyone for giving me the courage to stand my ground

Comment

I just thought I would give everyone an update on the current situation i'm dealing with. I told this DCP to go home and talk to her husband about signing the field trip form next year. She came back yesterday and said they still will not be comfortable with me taking their children to the park. Therefore, i told her on the spot that she will need to find other daycare. Because i know the difficulty in finding good childcare, i am giving them four weeks to find other care.
                            Also, is it weird that i feel completely offended by her distrust in me? I am a licensed childcare provider and am perfectly capable of watching 5-8 children play at the park. She kept saying that she was "surprised other parents weren't nervous". To me this is like a slap in the face to the other parents and i don't like it. I'm glad that we have hashed this situation and i will no longer have to worry about this odd request. I feel much better and want to thank everyone for giving me the courage to stand my ground
                            That's a relief for you!

Me, I might feel offended at her not trusting me. However I understand her concern. Most children do not obey their parents as well as they obey their daycare provider. So the parents imagine 5-8 children running around like crazy, not following directions.

Some parents are not comfortable with their children leaving the premises. It likely has absolutely nothing to do with you personally, they simply prefer that their child does not leave. It's their personal preference, and that is understandable. But that is not how your daycare works so it wasn't going to work out.

I think it was better to end it now

Comment

But, I can't help but wonder how these new parents will handle when their child enters school

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyMom View Post
                                That's a relief for you!

Me, I might feel offended at her not trusting me. However I understand her concern. Most children do not obey their parents as well as they obey their daycare provider. So the parents imagine 5-8 children running around like crazy, not following directions.

Some parents are not comfortable with their children leaving the premises. It likely has absolutely nothing to do with you personally, they simply prefer that their child does not leave. It's their personal preference, and that is understandable. But that is not how your daycare works so it wasn't going to work out.

I think it was better to end it now
                                I can understand her concerns as well, but she signed it when she started and then after coming to the park wanted to void the signature… It just seemed weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X