DC Providers Cannot Have Medical M cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Providers Cannot Have Medical M cards

in my state or anyone in the household. We were notified by letter as of yesterday.

Even though legal in my state it is still considered a controlled substance under Federal Law.

If you have one you may volunitrily give up your license and close your child care. If you don't you may have legal action taken against you or you license suspended.

Even if legal it will be still classified not able to use during childcare hours and fall under the tobacco/alcohol area.
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

can you copy and post the letter please?
    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

I don't see why it would be any different than alcohol.

It's legal but not for use during certain times.

I agree with that limitation.

I think right now, it's the best they can do (the limitation)

Plus, a majority of reasons (not all) as to why a person has a medical marijuana card are things that would probably eliminate them as a good candidate for child care anyways...kwim?

We've been discussing this on another forum board and the general consensus is that it feels as though the new rule is targeting home daycare providers and not ALL home care providers and/or similar situations or fields of work.
      Here is the link we had to read the info from http://www.examiner.com/article/oreg...juana-or-a-job
      Last edited by Blackcat31; 08-14-2014, 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling issues...

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
        can you copy and post the letter please?
        I received it in the mail and tech challenged. Not sure how to put it on the computor.

Let me see if I can find something on internet.
        Live life to the fullest

Comment

The decision Wednesday by a state board was prompted by revelations that the owners of at least five home-based day-care centers had medical marijuana cards and were allowed to use the drug on the premises.
          Live life to the fullest

Comment

ok I am from a more conservative state but no I do not think a provider should be using it while caring for children. AND yes I think it should be in the regulations then that a provider should not be using Vicodin and methadone while caring for children. .... It is still against federal law. Not until things like this are worked out will it ever be approved nation wide. Not saying it is true but news say that lots of the drs giving the card do not even know the patient and their need.
            It:: will wait

Comment

One of those above articles had this link....
              Child care in salem Oregon Alphabet Academy Learning Center

timeline and prospective from the childcare provider with M card.

Comment

This is gonna be interesting.

So then it can't be stored in the home even if it belongs to another family member. Then I wonder why alcohol or other narcotics or even guns can be stored in the home.

I'm interested to see where this one goes!

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post
                  This is gonna be interesting.

So then it can't be stored in the home even if it belongs to another family member. Then I wonder why alcohol or other narcotics or even guns can be stored in the home.

I'm interested to see where this one goes!

Laurel
                  I've been under the understanding that it's because right now there is no measureable way to know usage amounts and last used time frames....kwim?

Alcohol can be "measured" in those terms.

Comment

I would like to see the letter.

The news article states "It also bans use of smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes on the premises while children are present."

I'm assuming that means "day care children", and/or services are being provided, but it's not clear in the article.

I don't smoke or drink, but I don't think they should be able to ban a family child care provider with children from going in their front or backyard to have a cigarette, or regulate other legal activities when they are not providing services.

Comment

Originally posted by itlw8 View Post
                      ok I am from a more conservative state but no I do not think a provider should be using it while caring for children. AND yes I think it should be in the regulations then that a provider should not be using Vicodin and methadone while caring for children. .... It is still against federal law. Not until things like this are worked out will it ever be approved nation wide. Not saying it is true but news say that lots of the drs giving the card do not even know the patient and their need.
                      I don't see why we need these kind of regulations at all! It just shows that people are really lacking common sense. I would never use marijuana anyway, let alone while taking care of kids (or patients) or any other narcotic, alcohol, tobacco, etc...I mean it's just kind of obvious. Sad we have to make "rules" about it.

Comment

My state hasn't addressed this issue at all yet. If they said no smokeless tobacco I think it would be ridiculous. My hubby uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                          I've been under the understanding that it's because right now there is no measureable way to know usage amounts and last used time frames....kwim?

Alcohol can be "measured" in those terms.
                          I don't understand what you mean.

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by MOM OF 4 View Post
                            I don't see why we need these kind of regulations at all! It just shows that people are really lacking common sense. I would never use marijuana anyway, let alone while taking care of kids (or patients) or any other narcotic, alcohol, tobacco, etc...I mean it's just kind of obvious. Sad we have to make "rules" about it.
                            If pot is legal then it should be treated like any other legal drug such as alcohol. If one is drunk or high on prescription meds while watching children then there are consequences. I'm not sure why pot is any different.

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post
                              I don't understand what you mean.

Laurel
                              According to the articles I've read, there is no way to know if a person used marijuana 60 minutes or 24 hours prior to caring for children.

There is no way to "know" if the person is under the influence at x time like you can "know" is a person used alcohol at x time by using a breathalizer or administering a blood test.

Know what I mean?

So since there is no way to know WHEN use happened, it is easier to just not allow use at all IF a person wants to be a licensed caregiver.

That is not necessarily factual information. It's just what I've read so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X