Dcm Upset Her Child was Bitten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
    Good point... Plenty of space/toys/activities, but what CAN be done to prevent the younger dcb from harassing the biter? I can't stay on top of him constantly, I have 5 other children to care for. They are never out of my sight, but it happens so fast that I can't always stop it. Any suggestions for creating a quiet space inaccessible to the younger dcb? Somewhere that older dcb can chill and not be bothered?
    My playroom is divided into sections (modified centers) for this reason among others.

Group play times should (IMHO, ) also be broken up with individual play and structured activity times.

ex.

1. Break them up into small groups on color coded rugs/carpets (the cheap $20 ones from family dollar stores) for varying manipulatives (a different set per rug), then have the kids rotate from rug to rug for the next activity.

2. Assign each child to a center, one at a time, then rotate.

3. Use hula hoops on the floor for private reading/building/writing zones.

4. Stretch a jump rope across the floor for free play zones, assign kindred kids to their appropriate side. Then rotate.

This breaks up their free access to one another without having an "illegal" permanent barrier or "confining" kids. Let the room do the work for you. happyface
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Wednesday, have you made him your shadow yet?

I had a 2yr old DCG who all of the sudden started biting the others, HARD. Like, she drew blood with one. I made her my shadow and had to slowly supervise her return into the pack. She was non-verbal at this point so I feel as though she just expressing her frustration and anger. She faltered at her first couple of tries to be re-introduced.

However, I did tell Mom I was doing this and while she seemed supportive, she ultimately ended up pulling because she felt that she was being treated differently. That was fine with me. She WAS being treated differently, .

Comment

I haven't had him shadow me because he's 18 months and I don't think he understands "I must stick with Wednesday at all times" and it would end up being a wash. Can kids that young shadow?

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
          My playroom is divided into sections (modified centers) for this reason among others.

Group play times should (IMHO, ) also be broken up with individual play and structured activity times.

ex.

1. Break them up into small groups on color coded rugs/carpets (the cheap $20 ones from family dollar stores) for varying manipulatives (a different set per rug), then have the kids rotate from rug to rug for the next activity.

2. Assign each child to a center, one at a time, then rotate.

3. Use hula hoops on the floor for private reading/building/writing zones.

4. Stretch a jump rope across the floor for free play zones, assign kindred kids to their appropriate side. Then rotate.

This breaks up their free access to one another without having an "illegal" permanent barrier or "confining" kids. Let the room do the work for you. happyface
          These are some awesome ideas. Do you find that your younger ones, under 2, are able to understand the concept of boundaries created by rugs and hoops? Because I have been wanting to try it but thought they were too young.

Comment

Hmmm...good question. But then if he doesn't understand staying by you do you think he can he understand that he cant bite his friends? I'm just thinking out loud here.

I think he would be able to connect it, if he bites, he has to stay by you and doesn't get to play with his friends with the freedom he had before. A few times with that and of course, verbally reminding him that we don't hurt our friends and I think he'll get it.

But, CatHerder had some awesome alternative separation ideas if you'd rather go that route!

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
              These are some awesome ideas. Do you find that your younger ones, under 2, are able to understand the concept of boundaries created by rugs and hoops? Because I have been wanting to try it but thought they were too young.
              My oldest in care (6 kids) just turned 3.

My 12 month olds go to their assigned colors just as easily as my 2-3yo's. They get excited for their turn on each section. A quick "back" and head nod sends them back until the timer goes off.

The same works for naptimes, even the 12 month olds run to their assigned mats... they learn from watching the other kids respond. The infants spend 12 months watching this from their side of the room biting at the bit to jump the wall.

Right now blue group is doing sequencing dry erase boards and green group is doing dry erase boards and stencils. I am at my desk typing and smiling at them when they proudly show me their creations and run back to their color. Naptime is right around the corner...
              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I have circle time rugs, I could use those.... But I really like hoola hoops because they would keep toys from rolling away.

Btw, dcm said nothing this morning about our texts or the policy.

Comment

Working...
                X