Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Have Your Daycare In The Basement??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Have Your Daycare In The Basement??

I have an unfinished basement that I have been begging DH for years to turn in to the daycare. So he is finally working on it, but I don't know if it is feasible to put an entry door in. If I can't/don't, then the front door is up two levels.

I'm wondering if anyone else has daycare in the basement and what they do at drop off's and pick up's. I have staggered drop offs and pick ups. Would I just have parent text when they arrive and run to the door to either get the kid or give the kid? Or would I have everyone of the kids come up to meet the parent/kids? Or have a doorbell that leads down and then just quickly run up to get/give? Would we all go up about the time of a kids sched. drop off or pick up and maybe read stories each time. Only down fall with that is I would still have to have my living room child proofed.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

In many states it's illegal to use a basement for any childcare if it has no door to outside... In some you can't use basements for younger children only. I would check the laws in your state before going further. I know when my kids were younger ( before I started doing childcare) there was not a chance in he** I would leave them in a childcare that was in a basement especially without a door. to me it's a fire trap

What happens if you can't get upstairs? Do you have windows down there or no?
    Just a few questions the state will ask if you need to be licensed

Comment

Also you may want to check about permits . Since you will need the basement inspected by the fire marshall you may want to make sure you are allowed to do the work yourself . Some states require only lic contractors can do the work , especially electrical and plumbing .

I had a playroom inmy basement but I had a full ground level walk out door and window . We all stayed upstairs until everyone was there then went down stairs to play .

Comment

Sorry I didn't clarify a few things.

I do have 2 huge windows down there and I have already had my licensor and the fire marshall both come and see it. They have both said it is fine. The fire marshall said the windows are plenty big for a fireman to get in and out with all of his equipment on. So that is not a problem. My basement is not totally under ground either. maybe 1 to 4 feet depending on which wall.

Also I know I will have to get permits. My DH is in the construction trade and can also work under his bosses contractor license so that isn't an issue either.

For idea of waiting in the living room until every arrived before retreating downstairs we would be in the living room from 5am until anywhere between 9 and 11am depending on the day.
        And if we all went into the living room for pick ups and stayed until everyone was gone we would be there from anywhere between 2pm and 530pm so that would kind of make my basement idea pointless for me. I do appreciate that idea though I just don't think that one would work for me. I'm trying to get the daycare part away from my house so I can (come home from work per say) and so that my kids get their house back.

Comment

Originally posted by mim View Post
          Sorry I didn't clarify a few things.

I do have 2 huge windows down there and I have already had my licensor and the fire marshall both come and see it. They have both said it is fine. The fire marshall said the windows are plenty big for a fireman to get in and out with all of his equipment on. So that is not a problem. My basement is not totally under ground either. maybe 1 to 4 feet depending on which wall.

Also I know I will have to get permits. My DH is in the construction trade and can also work under his bosses contractor license so that isn't an issue either.

For idea of waiting in the living room until every arrived before retreating downstairs we would be in the living room from 5am until anywhere between 9 and 11am depending on the day.
          And if we all went into the living room for pick ups and stayed until everyone was gone we would be there from anywhere between 2pm and 530pm so that would kind of make my basement idea pointless for me. I do appreciate that idea though I just don't think that one would work for me. I'm trying to get the daycare part away from my house so I can (come home from work per say) and so that my kids get their house back.
          If it was possible, I would totally put a door in. My parents come down my side yard and in through a sliding glass door into the daycare specific room. It's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by jenboo View Post
            If it was possible, I would totally put a door in. My parents come down my side yard and in through a sliding glass door into the daycare specific room. It's amazing.
            That does sound amazing. I'm hoping DH will go for it, but he doesn't seem to thrilled with the idea of adding a door, however I think it would be soooo much better.
            Do you have a sidewalk down the side yard or do they just walk on the grass?

Comment

Maybe take one of the windows out and replace it with a door . That would be easier than creating a new opening for a door .

Comment

My parents just walk in and find us for drop off and pick up. Sometimes we are upstairs, sometimes downstairs, and sometimes outside. Easy.

Comment

More threads on basement daycare: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=basement

Comment

That does sound amazing. I'm hoping DH will go for it, but he doesn't seem to thrilled with the idea of adding a door, however I think it would be soooo much better.
                    Do you have a sidewalk down the side yard or do they just walk on the grass?

I have dirt with stepping stones, a wood walkway and sidewalk ::
                    Really make the benefits shine to him.... No kids upstairs, no parents upstairs, the front door can be locked all day....

Comment

I have an unfinished basement that I have been begging DH for years to turn in to the daycare. So he is finally working on it, but I don't know if it is feasible to put an entry door in. If I can't/don't, then the front door is up two levels.

I'm wondering if anyone else has daycare in the basement and what they do at drop off's and pick up's. I have staggered drop offs and pick ups. Would I just have parent text when they arrive and run to the door to either get the kid or give the kid? Or would I have everyone of the kids come up to meet the parent/kids? Or have a doorbell that leads down and then just quickly run up to get/give? Would we all go up about the time of a kids sched. drop off or pick up and maybe read stories each time. Only down fall with that is I would still have to have my living room child proofed.
                      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                      Thank you
                      We've been looking at homes to buy and have decided that if we ended up buying a two storey with a finished basement that I'd use the main floor for daycare and the finished basement would be private family space (along with the second floor). That way we don't have the issue of daycare kids/parents trouping through the house at drop off and pick up.

Comment

I have my daycare in the basement but we have a door so all drop off & pick ups are through the daycare entrance. We have a sidewalk that leads to the backyard and cement stairs to the door.

Would it be possible to add a door? Having parents text and running up to open the door seems like it would be a pain & dangerous (kids are being Left unsupervised). Unless you could get all the kids to sit on your stairs while you run up or something.
                        Or.... Have the parents pass you tre kids through your windows ::::

Comment

I do it from the basement but we have a slight hill in the front which slopes down, making our basement a walkout. It has a door and huge windows that are very low to the ground.

I could not do it without a door. I can't bring the kids up and down every time for a drop off and pick up.

Comment

If adding a door isn't feasible, I'd get an electronic door lock for one of the upstairs doors. That way, the parents can get in without you running up the stairs each time, but your house is locked. You can also put a video baby monitor by the door so you can see who is coming and going.

If possible, block off the path to the rest of the house from the door with a gate or furniture. Assuming you have multiple ways to get in to the house, if possible, pick the door that is closest to the basement stairs.

Comment

Thank you for all of your thoughts. I think I have DH sold on the door. Yayhappyface

Comment

Working...
                              X