Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Licensing Info and Wait (Kent County)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Licensing Info and Wait (Kent County)

I just submitted my entire packet yesterday. How long can I assume to wait until I am registered and licensed to watch children? I am in Kent County and I am antsy, ::

Also-- Michigan license question: do I need to have a baby gate at the bottom AND top of stairs? Thanks!
    Last edited by threelittles; 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM. Reason: worded poorly the first time around

Hello and welcome :hug:
    Yes you most definitely need a gate both on the top and bottom of the stairs

I think you can start watching kids, as soon as they assign you an ID number, but I'm not totally sure, lets see what the other say about this

Comment

Ok, so if I plan on using my main level I need a gate at the bottom going up, and at the top of the stairs if I plan to use that area as well?

Also, my finished basement area will be used but I have a door leading down, then I need another gate at the bottom? That's a lot of gates!

I am allowed to watch kids before (up to 4 weeks per year only....or something I think??) but one of my prospective clients requires me to be fully licensed for her HSA.

Comment

Also thanks for the welcome

Comment

You need a gate on each end, if children will at any given time be there
          I use the basement so I need a gate at the top (so they don't fall down when they arrive) and on the bottom (so the kids don't climb up and fall down)

my guess is yes you will need a gate but if you have a door I'm not sure...the inspector will let you know when they come out for the initial inspection.

I'm not sure about how long before you can start watch kids or how long it takes to get licensed, I'll let someone else answer that

Comment

Originally posted by threelittles View Post
            Also thanks for the welcome
            LOL I'm from Michigan too, I couldn't resist trying to be the first to answer you

Comment

I submitted my package in early February and I'm opening in a few weeks. I will be licensed by then. It's a process! Make sure you get your radon testing done, if you haven't already. That takes a few weeks.

It also took me a few weeks longer than most because I have lived in a few different states and I had to contact each state by mail and ask for a background check - sent back to me my mail, which I then had to mail back to the SOM. Uugh. So if you've recently lived in another state, make sure you start that process.

Comment

I included every piece of information required when I sent my packet in including radon, background, fingerprinting etc. (lived in Michigan my entire life). I am just curious how far out they book the orientation assuming all of my information was turned in correctly.

Comment

Three to six months is the usual turn around from application to license in Michigan.

Yes you will need a gate or door at every level that child could access stairs.
                  I see little people.

Comment

Originally posted by Childminder View Post
                    Three to six months is the usual turn around from application to license in Michigan.

Yes you will need a gate or door at every level that child could access stairs.
                    I know that's what the website says but I have heard a ton of people say their orientations were scheduled within just a few weeks. Once orientation is done assuming the home is in compliance you're supposed to get your registration mailed to you within a couple weeks yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      I know that's what the website says but I have heard a ton of people say their orientations were scheduled within just a few weeks. Once orientation is done assuming the home is in compliance you're supposed to get your registration mailed to you within a couple weeks yes?
                      It's been 9yrs since I applied for my licensed but I don't remember waiting more than a few weeks for them to schedule the orientation
                      ...when I went to my orientation, I was the only one that had already submitted all the necessary paperwork, radon test etc. everyone else there, hadn't done anything yet, so perhaps not everyone follows the same path

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2013 View Post
                        It's been 9yrs since I applied for my licensed but I don't remember waiting more than a few weeks for them to schedule the orientation
                        ...when I went to my orientation, I was the only one that had already submitted all the necessary paperwork, radon test etc. everyone else there, hadn't done anything yet, so perhaps not everyone follows the same path
                        That makes sense. I submitted 100% of my documentation when I applied and sent my packet in (most was already done anyways as I previously worked in healthcare.)

Comment

I had everything done, too (or so I thought), but they kept sending it back for different things. It's snail mail so it can take longer each time that happens. One week for them to get it, one week for them to review, one week for them to mail it back.

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                            I had everything done, too (or so I thought), but they kept sending it back for different things. It's snail mail so it can take longer each time that happens. One week for them to get it, one week for them to review, one week for them to mail it back.
                            What issues did you run into??

Comment

I just opened last year. I want to say that I submitted my app and had orientation almost immediately. If you are a family provider, you can open as soon as you go to orientation then licensing will come out within 90 days for an inspection-I had mine less than a month after orientation.
                              If you are a group home, you have to go to orientation then have an inspection before opening.

All in all I want to say that it only took about a month from sending in the paperwork to opening.

I also want to say that I think they have orientation once a month, but I'm not positive on that.
                              Last edited by melilley; 05-02-2014, 11:35 AM. Reason: added info.

Comment

Working...
                              X