Dry Hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Hands

Every winter my hands get so dry from all the handwashing. I must wash my hands 100 times a day! After every diaper change, nose wipe, etc.

My question is; do any of you have this same problem? Do you use any certain soaps or lotions that work well? I have tried lots of different lotions and soaps and I still have these horribly dry, cracked hands every winter.

I just use the VASELINE brand of lotion a lot! Before bed and first thing in the morning really help too. What type of soap do you use? It may be worth it during the winter months....assuming you're someplace cold like me!.......to buy a good soap with moisturizers in it. Try a few different kinds of soaps too and see if they help! I think drying your hands all the way instead of air-drying helps prevent them from being more dry, not sure if it's a fact or not though.

Comment

I use bath and body after every hand wash or two. Its the only way I can stay on top of it,..

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
      I just use the VASELINE brand of lotion a lot! Before bed and first thing in the morning really help too. What type of soap do you use? It may be worth it during the winter months....assuming you're someplace cold like me!.......to buy a good soap with moisturizers in it. Try a few different kinds of soaps too and see if they help! I think drying your hands all the way instead of air-drying helps prevent them from being more dry, not sure if it's a fact or not though.

Comment

I like Corn Huskers Lotion and Avon's Silicone Glove lotion.

Comment

I have only found one that works for me, It's super thick and I have to reapply it at least a few times a day or my hands get WHITE from being so dry. I have my only tube in my van now, but I will get the name next time I'm in the garage.

Comment

I use vaseline as often as I can but they still get dry

Comment

I wash my hands with mosturizing soap and then put lotion on everytime even if I know I'll be doing it all over again in two minutes. I also try and drink a bunch more water to hydrate from the inside out. Lastly I always cover my hands with gloves and mittens when I go outside even for a few seconds to get the mail. If they still get bad then I put on salve and wear cotton gloves while I sleep.
              Celebrate! ::

Comment

I have really dry skin on my hands also. I have a mild case of eczema and I have trouble with anything that has fragrance or scents in the ingredients so I only use Eucerine. It is fragrance free and works great! It can be a bit greasy at times but I just keep working it in til my hands feel hydrated. This is the worst time of the year. I also do what KidKair says and make sure I drink lots of water to hydrate from the inside out too!!
                Last edited by Blackcat31; 11-18-2010, 01:21 PM. Reason: referred to wrong poster

Comment

I am having a TERRIBLE time with this this year. The tops of my hands especially! How weird is that?! I lotion every time after I wash, unless I am going to handle food right away. But 5 dck's in diapers calls for a LOT of hand washing!

Comment

I've found a hand cream that works wonders for me. "Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream" .... says it lasts through hand washes and works for 24 hours but I do have to reapply a couple times a day... As daycare providers, we wash our hands considerably more than the average office worker Try it! I LOVE IT!

Comment

Thanks!! I will try some of these. Right now I am using milk & honey soap (its made by Soft Soap or Dial) and I try to put hand cream on as often as I can, but they are still sooooo dry.

I probably do need to drink more water, so I will start that too!

Comment

I use Vaseline intensive care and wear latex-free vinyl gloves at night and that helps immensely! I also wear rubber gloves when washing dishes, and mittens or gloves every time we go outside.

Comment

There is one lotion I used to use when I dealt with cardboard (which really dries out your hands)- It was called 'Udder Cream" and it came in a small tube with a cow print on it. I also like Neutrogena unscented hand cream- not too greasy but very thick, takes a while to rub in but helps that itchy cracked feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by missnikki View Post
                            There is one lotion I used to use when I dealt with cardboard (which really dries out your hands)- It was called 'Udder Cream" and it came in a small tube with a cow print on it. I also like Neutrogena unscented hand cream- not too greasy but very thick, takes a while to rub in but helps that itchy cracked feeling.
                            Udder Cream and Bag Balm are what I use. I have a terrible problem with cracking hands and feet in the winter. It's hereditary, as my mother has the same issue.

If it gets really REALLY bad, I do the following: Wash hands, pat them dry (leaving them slightly damp, but not dripping), lather them in either Udder Cream or Bag Balm, Put plastic baggies on my hands (old bread bags work well) and secure them loosely with a rubber band around the wrist, Let it sit for a couple hours (overnight if you can stand it). AMAZING results on both my feet and my hands. I usually follow up hand washing with either cream, as well.

Comment

Buy a pair of the old fashion cotton gloves. I think I found mine in the health and beauty section of walmart. Get a bottle of baby oil gel, rub it on your hands at night before bed and put on the gloves. You will have soft hands in the morning.
                              Last edited by SandeeAR; 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Working...
                              X