Spot Holding Issue, Not Covered In Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot Holding Issue, Not Covered In Contract

Last fall I had my license renewed after a hiatus from 'the full swing' of child care. I introduced a new contract to the few families I had, and picked up a couple of new children. One of the new children is a teacher's child and an infant. There is nothing in my contract stating how a spot is held for the summer, and now I don't know how to handle it or how to approach the subject with the dcm. Judging by what I know, she is probably going to be very upset if I suggest that she has to pay to hold her spot.

How would you handle this if there were nothing in the contract about it? Yikes!! I feel like I am pulling a bait and switch if I ask her to pay to hold the spot.

Originally posted by drseuss View Post
    Last fall I had my license renewed after a hiatus from 'the full swing' of child care. I introduced a new contract to the few families I had, and picked up a couple of new children. One of the new children is a teacher's child and an infant. There is nothing in my contract stating how a spot is held for the summer, and now I don't know how to handle it or how to approach the subject with the dcm. Judging by what I know, she is probably going to be very upset if I suggest that she has to pay to hold her spot.

How would you handle this if there were nothing in the contract about it? Yikes!! I feel like I am pulling a bait and switch if I ask her to pay to hold the spot.
    Go with what you feel is right, but remember this could be setting the stage for future situations like this....might be better to go ahead and nip it in the bud and charge for the spot. You could nicely tell her this issue never crossed your mind when you developed the contract but here is an amendment to be added for future reference. Have all parents sign and place in their files. Good luck to you!

Comment

So she is expecting YOU to risk YOUR financial stability because SHE doesn't want to pay to hold HER child's space?

I'd tell her that she has 2 options....

Pay to hold the space

or

Pull her child out and risk losing the space.

HER choice.

No matter which option SHE chooses, it should NOT affect YOUR income.

YOU don't work seasonally.

Comment

I am confused why this wasnt addressed at interview....did you not know that she was a teacher or that she was planning to pull for the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
          I am confused why this wasnt addressed at interview....did you not know that she was a teacher or that she was planning to pull for the summer?
          I knew both of those things. I guess in my idealistic mind, I didn't think it was going to be an issue. Now I see that it is. Particularly because I can't seem to fill my 2 & up spots and money is super tight. The calls I am getting are for infants and those two spots are filled (this one just during the school year).

I know it doesn't make sense. I just didn't think that far ahead when I wrote my (14-page) contract.

Comment

And that is why I don't feel like it would be right to tell dcm at this point that I want her to pay to hold the spot.

Comment

She may act a bit put out...but only because who wouldn't want a space for free?!

But any reasonable parent would not really think it was OK to tell you your income has to go down just to make life easier for them. Sometimes it just needs to be pointed out to them that they are asking waaay too much.

I have a good friend (used to be a client and is one of the very few who transitioned to real friend!) One summer she came to me and said
              "Mike's teenage sister is coming to spend the summer with us. Things are a bit tight financially right now and so we want her to watch the kids over the summer. But I wanted to make sure you'd hold the places for them as we really want them back with you in the fall?"

I took a deep breathe and said....."Imagine your boss coming to you tomorrow and saying "Things are bit tight with the company right now. So my daughter is going to do your job for free for a few months. We want you to go home and just wait for us to call you. We will not pay you during this time. But we also don't want you to look for another job to pay your bills, because we want you back as soon as we get the whim. OK?"

She flung her arms around my neck and cried. She had honestly not thought of that way.....even though there is no difference in the scenarios. They paid me full price anyway, even though the kids spent most of their time with their aunt. To this day, she tells me she was happy I was so honest with her and setting her straight!

Just tell the DCM that it is not reasonable for her to expect you to hold places without pay.

Comment

And that is why I don't feel like it would be right to tell dcm at this point that I want her to pay to hold the spot.
                It's not right for her to expect you to hold it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeko View Post
                  It's not right for her to expect you to hold it for free.

I would tell her that you assumed she was year round. If she didn't plan it that way SHE should have told you about her plans upon enrollment. It isn't right that she is just now mentioning this fact.

If it is HER situation, then it is HER responsibility to let others know or to ask you when you interviewed.

Also, don't feel bad that it isn't addressed in your contract/policies. Most of us don't know that we should have a particular rule until the issue is standing in front of us....
                  It was NOT wrong of you to assume she would be full time year round if she didn't mention her summer intentions.

Comment

I was also wondering if she had said the child wouldn't be coming during the summer? Or did she just say she was a teacher? Teachers often bring their kids to daycare even thought they are home in the summer, so I would think you have the defense that you assumed she was year round, unless she said otherwise.

Comment

Did the subject come up at all during the interview?? Even if its not in your contract I assume there is something in your contract about attendance in general, right??? If you didn't talk about it during the interview then how would you have known she wouldn't attend during the summer?? There are plenty of teachers who keep their children in daycare for the summer (at least part time).

I would love to charge full rate for teachers for the summer but honestly the way the market is here and the number of daycares around it just isn't feasible. I do offer to hold the spot for a fee (1/3rd rate) or allow part time attendance equal to or greater than that amount. That's the best I can do. Their other option is to pull out and find a new daycare for the following year.

Comment

I would ask her to pay part time or she can re-apply in the fall if space is available.

Comment

Maybe your contract says payments are due regardless of attendance? That would cover this area

Comment

She contracted with me specifically for the school year. I knew that going in. We never discussed how I/we would go about holding that spot for re-enrollment in the fall and my contract (I should say handbook/contract) doesn't touch on it. Yeah, I know, that makes no common sense at all. So now I have to decide how to approach it with dcm as the school year comes to a close in six and a half weeks. I want to be fair, and not sound like I am being arbitrary simply because I hadn't thought of this earlier.

I don't think it would be unfair to ask her for 50% of my regular rate to hold her spot for the summer, and to make myself available for her for (help me fill in the blank here) certain days. ?

Comment

She contracted with me specifically for the school year. I knew that going in. We never discussed how I/we would go about holding that spot for re-enrollment in the fall and my contract (I should say handbook/contract) doesn't touch on it. Yeah, I know, that makes no common sense at all. So now I have to decide how to approach it with dcm as the school year comes to a close in six and a half weeks. I want to be fair, and not sound like I am being arbitrary simply because I hadn't thought of this earlier.

I don't think it would be unfair to ask her for 50% of my regular rate to hold her spot for the summer, and to make myself available for her for (help me fill in the blank here) certain days. ?
                              2 days. She would be paying for half a week she gets half a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X