Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does This Look Professional Enough For a Preschool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to put a housekeeping section where this table is located. Which of these do you think would be better for a pre-k? All 3 pieces (pink version on craigslist for $375) or the one piece?

There is also this:

That I was thinking of putting over there as well to be used as a dollhouse for the kids, and I would just get rid of the smaller dollhouses that I currently have.

Which piece/s do you think are the best and why?

Comment

If you wanted opinions, I'd take the second one (the white all-in-one). Gender neutral, and no pieces for the kids to decide to move
      Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Gender neutral items

Comment

I would take the white kitchen. I also wanted to mention that I got my younger dd a dollhouse bookcase this past Christmas from Kohl's for around $35 brand new. If I can still find it, I'll send you the link .

Comment

. . . And apparently they don't sell the dollhouses anymore, at least not for the price I found:

It's going on Amazon now for $100 .
            http://www.amazon.com/Teamson-Prince.../dp/B00GS6O9WK

Comment

Thanks ladies!

I will go with the white kitchen and keep an eye out on craigslist for it so I don't have too pay full price. I liked that bookcase for my daughter's room (will watch for Christmas sales), but it definitely isn't gender neutral for the boys. I measured the wall and both of them will fit nicely against the wall. I have that strange step-down that was so popular in the late '60s and early '70s and all that does is entice kids to climb up the furniture! I would like to section things off like I see on all of the daycare pics, but I am not sure how to go about doing that without the room seeming smaller. I still have babies occasionally, and I need good sight lines.

Thanks for all the tips!

Comment

Doll house

Maybe you could DIY a dollhouse?
                Ana White has free plans for one: http://ana-white.com/2009/12/plan-do...ck-off-of.html
                Here's one made from an old dresser (it has storage, too!): http://www.just-in.com/recycledDresser/index.htm
                This one's super simple (just made from a cube-style shelving unit): http://blog.landofnod.com/honest-to-...dollhouse.html

Good luck!
                -Elizabeth

Comment

What defines a pre school from home daycare is not just kid size furniture or primary color paint scheme, but the sense of moving from a home based business to school business located in your home. This is the spirit you must capture. This is why parents will pay more. And the staff qualifications are important too. Pre school should have someone with early childhood degree or at least some edu degree. People need to be able to distinguish how your spaces are used at a glance or else they will feel you are more home daycare than pre school. Otherwise design it as you like following the simple rule "does this look like a home based business or a business located in a private home".

Good luck.

big Lou

Comment

Originally posted by sarah33 View Post
                    I liked that bookcase for my daughter's room (will watch for Christmas sales), but it definitely isn't gender neutral for the boys. !
                    I found the Pottery Barn dollhouse bookcase on CL for 75$... it's similar but a bit more plain and green trims...it is way more study that I was expecting
                    I love it!

Comment

You are so lucky!!! I have been trying to find that dollhouse bookcase everywhere! I love it because it can fit multiple kids at once. Even the "my loving family" majestic dollhouse isn't large enough for 3 girls to play with at once, and the boys won't go near it because of all the pink and purple.

Land of Nod makes a very similar version that is slightly smaller in scale, but also very high quality...with a high price tag of $400!

I took the advice of another posting and moved our kitchen table down to the "man cave." I sold the idea to my husband saying he could use it as his poker table. ::

I found this awesome Pottery Barn play desk on craigslist for $120, plus the cradle for $30 and the large rolling basket for $50. I am on a Land of Nod/Pottery Barn kick as I love the style and quality. But so expensive!!!

Does anyone else have this problem? I am really trying to go toward more wooden toys and open-ended toys...but they are a lot more expensive and harder to find on craigslist/yard sales. I know I have to put money back into my business to attract enough clients so I can pick and choose who I bring into my home/life. It is ALL so expensive though, that I am having to put the up front cost on my credit card and then pay it off through the next couple of months to make up for it.

I got the aqua version of the same rug I have in the larger playroom adjacent to this room, and a lime green chair to go with the desk so the colors play off each other. I can't do both the large dollhouse bookcase and the three-piece kitchen (assuming I can even find them on craigslist or ebay in the baltimore area.), so I really need to figure out the rest of the layout. I got the large rolling basket to put the housekeeping items (and so I can get into that cabinet easily). Between the basket and the desk, I have enough space for either the stove or the dollhouse. I am not sure that just having the all-in-one kitchenette instead of the 3 pieces will be enough play area for them all or if it will be one argument after another. I could also just get a good-sized wooden dollhouse and a wooden fire station to put on the toy organizers in the playroom area....

Ideas?

Oh, and I definitely agree with another post that a big part of having a preschool is having the right credentials. I do have a bachelor's degree in journalism (graphic design, writing, photography), but not in education. I have 95 hours toward my CDA, and I will be starting the lengthy and consuming accreditation process soon. Sigh. I started reading the certification book for family childcares and realized I did not have the setup or toys they outlined in the book...hence this journey!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Land of Nod has come home to Crate & Barrel. Crate & Kids is a new destination for high-quality modern baby, toddler and kids furniture and nursery decor. Available in 40+ stores.

got the price wrong...$300!

Land of Nod has come home to Crate & Barrel. Crate & Kids is a new destination for high-quality modern baby, toddler and kids furniture and nursery decor. Available in 40+ stores.

Here is the rug I got...should be here by Wednesday evening so will post the updated pic then..

and the chair...

Comment

Working...
                        X