Second Helpings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. If my DD or DS couldn't have seconds of something so that there was enough left for your child. I think you should make your own child something else for dinner, and use the dc leftovers IF there are any after the kids have all they want. That's just me though, my kids get seconds on whatever they want, provided they have eaten all their food. They can't have more pizza until they eat their fruits and veggies, but if they do, they can. Not being a troll, just my opinion.
    The daycare kids can have seconds of apple, banana, raisins or carrots. Just because I chose to make my dd's dinner with the dck's lunch does not mean my dck's are deprived of anything. If small children are hungry they will eat more fruit or veggies. If they aren't hungry they won't. All of the dck's get a full serving of the main and multiple sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'm not sure how I feel about this. If my DD or DS couldn't have seconds of something so that there was enough left for your child. I think you should make your own child something else for dinner, and use the dc leftovers IF there are any after the kids have all they want. That's just me though, my kids get seconds on whatever they want, provided they have eaten all their food. They can't have more pizza until they eat their fruits and veggies, but if they do, they can. Not being a troll, just my opinion.
      Most providers are only required to have the correct serving size available for a daycare child with NO requirement about having to have seconds or additional foods available.

I don't see how a daycare child's right to seconds outweighs a providers own child as to who gets the food.

As a provider, I am only reimbursed to provide ONE serving of whatever foods I am providing. The rate I charge my parents also includes only ONE serving.

I go above and beyond what the food program requires and serve organic, wholesome foods so any left over foods belong to me and I should be free to give them to whomever I choose to.

Being a DCK doesn't automatically give that child priority over a provider's child.

Comment

I do seconds during breakfast and lunch if they ask.

All I tell them is, “You can have more XYZ when ABC are finished.”

I cook enough to meet the USDA required portions. The kids usually don’t eat the required portions. There is always something leftover.

Comment

These may help some with perceptions. "My Plate" has actual plates with charts that kids AND parents can use to learn this stuff. It may also alleviate some provider self doubt.

I bought my meal resources at Positive Promotions because they had the best prices I could find. Look under the "my plate" section.
          Attached Files
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
            These may help some with perceptions. "My Plate" has actual plates with charts that kids AND parents can use to learn this stuff. It may also alleviate some provider self doubt.

I bought my meal resources at Positive Promotions because they had the best prices I could find. Look under the "my plate" section.
            Catherder those graphics are awesome! I'm going to look those up. I have a wall in my kitchen that needs some decoration.
            Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

I view snacks as a means to tide them over to the next meal, so seconds are not given. I have a few who would make a meal out of snacks and skip meals if I let them. For breakfast and lunch I already serve more than a typical serving size. If they wish more it will be extra fruit at breakfast, or extra veggies at lunch within reason.

Comment

I usually cook a little more than what I think the kids will eat . They are allowed seconds if they finish all of their first serving , then they can choose what seconds they want ( fruit , drink , meat , pasta ,etc...) . I do not give seconds for snacks .

I too wonder about serving size with the SA kids . I had 2 brothers who would easily eat 5 waffles each for breakfast .

Comment

Originally posted by Second Home View Post
                  I usually cook a little more than what I think the kids will eat . They are allowed seconds if they finish all of their first serving , then they can choose what seconds they want ( fruit , drink , meat , pasta ,etc...) . I do not give seconds for snacks .

I too wonder about serving size with the SA kids . I had 2 brothers who would easily eat 5 waffles each for breakfast .
                  Here is the Food Program recommended serving sizes for kids in all age groups.

I printed this out and keep it handy for myself and parents if they are wanting to know what is considered a serving size.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Home View Post

I see they're no longer in your group, but I think some kids need to slow down! 5 waffles means they are probably wolfing them down so fast, they don't know when they're full. Plus, waffles with syrup is a lot of cheap carbs, so they are probably hungry again an hour later. Unless they're whole-grain, which is all I will serve my kids now. No syrup, either, I give them unsweetened applesauce to "dip" them in.

Comment

Working...
                    X