Daycare Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    I sent you a password reset email. Let me know if you still have trouble logging in.

about the cats. I lovethis my fur babies like that too!!
    Thanks I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
      I don't either, but it doesn't matter. It's her thinking, and that's a-ok in my book.

In a situation like this, there is no right answer, and no amount of planning "here is what I would do" can really prepare you. Practice will up the odds of getting the kids out, but there are just too many variables to know anything. The ONLY thing we can do is take this tragedy as a lesson to do whatever we can to be as prepared as possible. sigh...
      and I should have added this to my posting.........I can hope that I would make all the right decisions but in the event of a true emergency situation who knows what the outcome is going to end up........none of us know because of so many variables. I think for me my parental instincts would kick in not only for my own child but all of them. Silver I am not downing you- just trying to understand and if you don't want to share that is perfectly fine. We all come from different places in our walks of life.

I do know I love my pets but I would not go back into a burning building for them- pets can be replaced, humans can't. I love my pets to no end too, but I believe they have instincts inside of them to hide and do what they have to do in an emergency. I don't want to die looking for fido- I would do all I could within me looking for a child.

I hope none of have to make these choices or go through any of this. Drills and being prepared the best we can is important.

Comment

So very sad and a scary situation. We practice fire drills and other safety drills with the kids (mine and the dcks) but if it really happens are we going to be able to think straight? One of my neighbors is retired but used to be the head of the ambulance and their house is our go to in any emergency. If we can't make it there we have 2 neighbors across the street that are also retired and are almost always home. We have a 1 story ranch house with windows we can easily escape if the front and back doors are blocked.
        Last edited by sally; 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by My3cents View Post
          I do know I love my pets but I would not go back into a burning building for them- pets can be replaced, humans can't. I love my pets to no end too, but I believe they have instincts inside of them to hide and do what they have to do in an emergency. I don't want to die looking for fido- I would do all I could within me looking for a child.
          And that's your choice but to me they are a member of my family (probably more-so than most of my family members) that can't just be "replaced" like a lost pair of earrings. Heck, my brother once caused a kitchen fire that lead my mom in the hospital for smoke inhalation and I was mad because they left the cats in the house (they opened the windows {screened} but still). Pets maybe 'replaceable' to you but to me there are living being with unique personalities just as humans are (though, not many people are all that "unique" IMHO). It may seem silly to you but sometimes it seems like everyone I have ever cared about has either left me or continued to disappoint me time and time again- except them.

But the reason why I brought up my pets is that I'm not 100% sure what I am doing with my cats during daycare hours- If I'm going to have them in my room or a closed off section during daycare hours or let them free roam. I am not going to just leave them in a locked area, trapped with no exit to be put to their death either by being tortured and burned to death or slowly asphyxiated by smoke inhalation (which ever gets them first). As a HSP who has dealt with depression, I know personally I would not be able to live with that guilt and that no matter what the start of the fire was that I would always blame myself and never find inner peace. Just thinking about it right now is reducing me to tears.

Comment

Originally posted by Starburst View Post
            And that's your choice but to me they are a member of my family (probably more-so than most of my family members) that can't just be "replaced" like a lost pair of earrings. Heck, my brother once caused a kitchen fire that lead my mom in the hospital for smoke inhalation and I was mad because they left the cats in the house (they opened the windows {screened} but still). Pets maybe 'replaceable' to you but to me there are living being with unique personalities just as humans are (though, not many people are all that "unique" IMHO). It may seem silly to you but sometimes it seems like everyone I have ever cared about has either left me or continued to disappoint me time and time again- except them.

But the reason why I brought up my pets is that I'm not 100% sure what I am doing with my cats during daycare hours- If I'm going to have them in my room or a closed off section during daycare hours or let them free roam. I am not going to just leave them in a locked area, trapped with no exit to be put to their death either by being tortured and burned to death or slowly asphyxiated by smoke inhalation (which ever gets them first). As a HSP who has dealt with depression, I know personally I would not be able to live with that guilt and that no matter what the start of the fire was that I would always blame myself and never find inner peace. Just thinking about it right now is reducing me to tears.
            So you would go back in a burning building/house to save animals? Have you ever had a house fire? We had one about 2yrs ago and while it was outside, it was a room attached to our house. A man came running up before the fire truck got there and was trying to extinguish the the fire with a hose which I appreciated but jeeze, don't risk your life for our possessions! Seriously! Looking back, while I didn't think it would reach our house when we went out, it was possible. I didn't even think of where my cat was because I was worried about my 6 kids and dh. I love my cat and would never want him to die but I was NOT risking my life and potentially leave my kids motherless to save our cat. I would have hard time sleeping at night if the man who was helping us was hurt let alone killed! Everyone values life differently and some live recklessly but the lost life of a human adult or child and that of a cat is much different to me.

Comment

I don't care what you all say, but when you start running on pure adrenoline, you will save everything and everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinKristi View Post
                Everyone values life differently and some live recklessly but the lost life of a human adult or child and that of a cat is much different to me.
                But they aren't different to her. That is what she is saying.

Doesn't make you or her more right or wrong.

Just says that you both have different beliefs.

Comment

But they aren't different to her. That is what she is saying.

Doesn't make you or her more right or wrong.

Just says that you both have different beliefs.
                  I didn't say it was wrong?? :confused:

Comment

So you would go back in a burning building/house to save animals? Have you ever had a house fire? We had one about 2yrs ago and while it was outside, it was a room attached to our house. A man came running up before the fire truck got there and was trying to extinguish the the fire with a hose which I appreciated but jeeze, don't risk your life for our possessions! Seriously! Looking back, while I didn't think it would reach our house when we went out, it was possible. I didn't even think of where my cat was because I was worried about my 6 kids and dh. I love my cat and would never want him to die but I was NOT risking my life and potentially leave my kids motherless to save our cat. I would have hard time sleeping at night if the man who was helping us was hurt let alone killed! Everyone values life differently and some live recklessly but the lost life of a human adult or child and that of a cat is much different to me.
                    I didn't say it was wrong?? :confused:
                    The bolded sentence, just made it sound like you were questioning her motives or her beliefs or saying it was wrong...

That coupled with the fact that you went on to explain why YOU believed your cat wasn't worth dying for....

Comment

The bolded sentence, just made it sound like you were questioning her motives or her beliefs or saying it was wrong...

That coupled with the fact that you went on to explain why YOU believed your cat wasn't worth dying for....
                      Well that may be how YOU read it, but I'm genuinely curious if this is just what she envisions in her head or what she actually has experienced. Practicing a fire drill and actually being in a fire are WAY different. Like Countrymom said, you're running on pure adrenaline. Sure if my cat was laying nearby I would grab him on my way out but only speaking from personal experience my life and the concept of my children having a mother is more important TO ME than running into a burning house to save a cat. It has no baring on her feelings what so ever.

Comment

Well that may be how YOU read it, but I'm genuinely curious if this is just what she envisions in her head or what she actually has experienced. Practicing a fire drill and actually being in a fire are WAY different. Like Countrymom said, you're running on pure adrenaline. Sure if my cat was laying nearby I would grab him on my way out but only speaking from personal experience my life and the concept of my children having a mother is more important TO ME than running into a burning house to save a cat. It has no baring on her feelings what so ever.
                        I am not admonishing you for your perspective.

I was just trying to put out another perspective that supports Starburst's line of thinking.

To each his/her own.

I only commented because you quoted her and then questioned her because her beliefs didn't align with your line of thinking.

It is clear that YOU would not save your cat if there was a fire.

Starburst would risk her life to save her cat.

You questioned that.

I was simply pointing out that she feels differently than you

Comment

See, I never said I wouldn't save my cat. I said I wouldn't risk my life to go run into a burning building but would grab him if he were close by. I'm in no way saying she's wrong, like I stated before, I'm just curious if she's actually experienced this. But it also makes me question her plans if there really was a fire during daycare. What about the DCKs? Are you going to leave them on the sidewalk alone to go back in to save animals? If you're faced with the choice of animals or DCKs what would you do as their lives are equally important yet animals are closer than family. I know someone mentioned earlier that they had the idea that they'd have to leave their own son and get DCKs out first. I'm really not saying she's wrong I'm just honestly curious as to her thoughts on this. For me it's a no brainier, kids before pets but obviously not for her. I'm not putting her down, I'm not insulting her, I don't really understand why you need to come explain to me that two people with two different lives may think differently? I'm plenty aware of that by her post, I don't really need someone to clarify for me.

Comment

See, I never said I wouldn't save my cat. I said I wouldn't risk my life to go run into a burning building but would grab him if he were close by. I'm in no way saying she's wrong, like I stated before, I'm just curious if she's actually experienced this. But it also makes me question her plans if there really was a fire during daycare. What about the DCKs? Are you going to leave them on the sidewalk alone to go back in to save animals? If you're faced with the choice of animals or DCKs what would you do as their lives are equally important yet animals are closer than family. I know someone mentioned earlier that they had the idea that they'd have to leave their own son and get DCKs out first. I'm really not saying she's wrong I'm just honestly curious as to her thoughts on this. For me it's a no brainier, kids before pets but obviously not for her. I'm not putting her down, I'm not insulting her, I don't really understand why you need to come explain to me that two people with two different lives may think differently? I'm plenty aware of that by her post, I don't really need someone to clarify for me.
                            Um, wow... sorry to ruffle your feathers....

Comment

Electrical fires scare me the most because it can happen without warning.

Luckily my kids can walk now, but if they couldn't, I had them all in the same floor just in case, and planned on tossing them each up the windowsill just to get them out. We practiced a few times, but the toddlers were very slow at getting out since we'dve had to clime up the ladder out the window from a basement floor.

Another thought I had is keeping an always open play pen, just stuffing all the littles in there and dragging it out. Yes, it'd be heavy, yes they might even get hurt a little, but they'd be alive. IDK just scenarios in my head that I wish I had real answers for. VERY sad. My heart goes to the families.

Comment

Has everyone heard about how dangerous keeping batteries in a drawer can be? Especially 9 volts? There are a ton of stories out there about it if you want to google it. I read somewhere that countless fires are started this way and most people don't know how dangerous it is to just toss them in a junk drawer or box. I had never heard of it until I saw a news story...

Comment

Working...
                                X