No announcement yet.

Daycare Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can have the best plans but sadly a fire doesn't care. Your survival instincts WILL kick in and if your faced with getting out of a burning house when you're already inhaling smoke, coughing and feeling the intense heat or staying inside and trying to save another person you may not get to make the choice because your survival instinct will probably make it for you. This is why firefighters have gear and training. Most people wouldn't be physically or mentally able to stay in a fire that was burning fast and hot.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
      My heart goes out to everyone involved.

A long time ago I was thinking it over and came to the sobering conclusion that, at the time when my DS was a baby and not walking, that if a fire broke out I would probably save all the dcks first and come back for DS. Let's face it. The news wouldn't care if a provider's OWN child was injured or killed, but you'll be lambasted by everyone in the city if a dck gets injured or killed--especially if you saved your own child first.

It makes me tear up thinking about it even now, but my feelings are the same. And I pray with all my heart that I never have to act on that.
      I don't know how any parent could ever say that. I would make sure my own child was safe first before anyone else. I could care less what people was to say I couldn't live my life without my baby.

Comment

Even in-homes should have these. You can throw 6 kids in, and you can even lift and carry one with 2 adults.
        If you can afford it get home monitoring and wire in to police and fire. This will speed help up considerably.
        Also every in-home should have in their handbook where they go if this happens. It is -7 here and we would not be able to be on the sidewalk. I have keys to a church 5 houses away in case of an emergency and it is in my handbook that the parents will find me there with the children in case of an evacuation.

Comment

I have an evacuation crib but if our exit was blocked the second exit is up stairs So I would need to grab them under my arms.
          It:: will wait

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I don't know how any parent could ever say that. I would make sure my own child was safe first before anyone else. I could care less what people was to say I couldn't live my life without my baby.
            well, clearly not everyone is the same. Call me a terrible parent if you want. I don't really care what you think.

There are lots of reasons why I feel this way--and I don't have to defend myself to some faceless stranger who won't even use a username to ID herself.
            Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

well, clearly not everyone is the same. Call me a terrible parent if you want. I don't really care what you think.

There are lots of reasons why I feel this way--and I don't have to defend myself to some faceless stranger who won't even use a username to ID herself.
              I don't get your thinking either~

My thinking would be to get all of them out, mine and others. I would not aim for any particular child except for all of them- I wouldn't stop until they were all out either-

Comment

I think you can have every plan in place, but if this type of tragic event occurs, so many factors come into play. I don't think that anyone can say what they will or won't do if the time comes. Depends on how thick the smoke is, how hot it is, where the fire is, what obstacles are in the way etc.

Comment

Thank goodness 5 children were safe, there could have been a much higher death count. lovethis

Comment

I totally understand where you are coming from.

I don't know what I would do in that situation for sure and hopefully will never have to find out but I have often felt the same way in other similar (but not nearly as tragic) situations.

For example, my DS and his friend were playing outside at my daycare one time. My DS, now 22 yrs old was about 7 at the time. Anyways, he and his friend were splitting rocks. (My DH builds split rock fireplaces and such...) and my DS ended up getting his finger smashed between two rocks.

It ended up being a really bad accident...he had a long surgery to repair, months of PT and Dr's visits.

I remember looking back that the biggest thing I felt was relief that it was MY child that got hurt and not one of the daycare kids.

I know you know what I mean..... so I don't need to explain why.

Comment

Originally posted by My3cents View Post
                      I don't get your thinking either~

My thinking would be to get all of them out, mine and others. I would not aim for any particular child except for all of them- I wouldn't stop until they were all out either-
                      I don't either, but it doesn't matter. It's her thinking, and that's a-ok in my book.

In a situation like this, there is no right answer, and no amount of planning "here is what I would do" can really prepare you. Practice will up the odds of getting the kids out, but there are just too many variables to know anything. The ONLY thing we can do is take this tragedy as a lesson to do whatever we can to be as prepared as possible. sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by itlw8 View Post
                        I have an evacuation crib but if our exit was blocked the second exit is up stairs So I would need to grab them under my arms.
                        I don't have one, but with the layout of my house, it'd do me little good anyway. 4 kids (occasionally 6) on 2 different levels.

Comment

Originally posted by bloominggenius View Post
                          Even in-homes should have these. You can throw 6 kids in, and you can even lift and carry one with 2 adults.
                          If you can afford it get home monitoring and wire in to police and fire. This will speed help up considerably.
                          Also every in-home should have in their handbook where they go if this happens. It is -7 here and we would not be able to be on the sidewalk. I have keys to a church 5 houses away in case of an emergency and it is in my handbook that the parents will find me there with the children in case of an evacuation.
                          The best I could do is put them all in my car, if it's parked outside (the garage is attached). Our neighborhood is 6 miles from town, and all our lots are 1-2 acres. All my direct neighbors are gone during the day, most days.

Comment

Well, I don't have any children at this time but I have played this scenario many times in my head and I personally would rather die in the fire trying to save as many of the children possible (and even my pets) than survive it and live with the guilt of thinking that there is more I could have done. And trust me, even if there wasn't children there I would risk my life for my cats (, IK crazy cat lady but they are my babies). It's not even that I would fear what others would say or think but what I would think of myself. Better to die with dignity than live a coward (JMHO).

Comment

This is a time when we should be helping each other find ways to safely evacuate are homes with are kids . Not call some one out for having fillings that you don't under stand. Now can some one tell me what a evacuation crib is? I will be having mostly under 2 and I have been tiring to think of ways to get them out of the house fast and down the street to my neighbors house.

Comment

Originally posted by Starburst- log issues View Post
                                Well, I don't have any children at this time but I have played this scenario many times in my head and I personally would rather die in the fire trying to save as many of the children possible (and even my pets) than survive it and live with the guilt of thinking that there is more I could have done. And trust me, even if there wasn't children there I would risk my life for my cats (, IK crazy cat lady but they are my babies). It's not even that I would fear what others would say or think but what I would think of myself. Better to die with dignity than live a coward (JMHO).
                                I sent you a password reset email. Let me know if you still have trouble logging in.

about the cats. I lovethis my fur babies like that too!!

Comment

Working...
                                X