Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blandino View Post
    I think I do a mixture.

I will give them the materials to paint, say a green shamrock. I will give them a ton of materials, and I would say thats process art. But the paper is cut into a shamrock, which I think is a "teacher oriented" art project.

We made gold medals last week, when learning about the olympics. I gave the kids 3/4 different materials to make the round pieces of foam board gold, and let them go to town. Then I punched a hole and put ribbon through it.

Maybe once a week, they just get a blank piece of paper, and whatever process art materials i choose, and get to go nuts on it and do whatever they want.

The rest of the time, I would call my art projects "contrived process art". A balance between the two.
    I also do some contrived art (like that name :. When I worked in a Montessori preschool they would cut out things like shamrocks, hearts, etc. on large sheets of paper and put them at the easel to paint for holidays. I like that idea because once in a while it is nice to have it look like 'something'.

Laurel

Comment

We mostly paint and color (blank paper). My kids love, love to paint.

I also do some projects where I cut out the shapes, but the kids put them wherever they want to. For instance I will cut out a lion head along with eyes and whiskers and the children can glue them on wherever they want. To me, it looks super cute! I guess it would be your "contrived" art...

I do some cookie cutter art, but only for special occasions.

When we have garage sale "season" here, I look for art related materials and sometimes on cl, people want to get rid of supplies.

Comment

I think this group eats glue sticks. I try but they do not work. I put some glue on something or in a dish and they use q tips or popsicle stick to put glue on the paper. They love stickers so they only get them sometimes. BUT the colored circles for garage sales are loved also. some times they color on labels and make their own sticker. This week I have had the easel out as a choice and it is working well. Boy we have used a lot of paint But that is better than paint going bad in the art closet because it was not used.
        It:: will wait

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
          I stock up for the year at at back to school time+ with coupons I get tons of stuff for free. Staples and other office supply stores I can get reams of paper and other supplies for free almost monthly. After every holiday I wait for 75-90% off and stock up on stickers, poms, Easter decorating kits, Valentines, Halloween, Christmas stuff etc
          Can I get your secret on how you get things free?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
            She is a coupon guru! Seriously....this gal can shop and shop cheap too!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
              I follow couponing websites They do most of the work for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                She is a coupon guru! Seriously....this gal can shop and shop cheap too!

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52976
                awww, thanks! For me, couponing is as addicting as this website!! When people come to my house they always want to see my stockpile -and the neighbors know who to ask when they need something ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
                  I follow couponing websites They do most of the work for me!
                  I do the same I just goggles southern california match ups and boom a blog with all the stores in my area their sales and what coupons to use.

Comment

Free art and process art mean the same thing - that the child chooses the medium and what/how to express themselves. Process as in the process is the focus not the product.

Projects where the adult decides what the child will make is called product orientated art. Product as in the focus is on the end product not on the process of making it. Crafts and any kind of cutout activity are product orientated art. Cutting out a heart, shamrock, etc. and having the child decorate it is product orientated even if the child decides what they will decorate it with. Cutting a painting a child painted into shape is taking a process orientated art activity and turning it into a product orientated one.

Just wanted to clarify what those terms meant.
                    Last edited by Leanna; 02-27-2014, 04:11 PM. Reason: fix grammar

Comment

just curious how old all your kiddos are for these "free art" projects??? Mine are ages 0-3 (oldest will actually be 3 next month) and I couldn't imagine having art supplies accessible all day every day - could just see the mess of the 18 month old getting into it all!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
                        Free art and process art mean the same thing - that the child chooses the medium and what/how to express themselves. Process as in the process is the focus not the product.

Projects where the adult decides what the child will make is called product orientated art. Product as in the focus is on the end product not on the process of making it. Crafts and any kind of cutout activity are product orientated art. Cutting out a heart, shamrock, etc. and having the child decorate it is product orientated even if the child decides what they will decorate it with. Cutting a painting a child painted into shape is taking a process orientated art activity and turning it into a product orientated one.

Just wanted to clarify what those terms meant.
                        Just wanted to say say thank you for clarifying, and ask if you had suggestions for the former type of art. My kids get overwhelmed w too many options. So far in a months peuod we will do some structured (sorry product oriented) art free painting free coloring, stamps, and maybe sculpting w bakes le clay... Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                          just curious how old all your kiddos are for these "free art" projects??? Mine are ages 0-3 (oldest will actually be 3 next month) and I couldn't imagine having art supplies accessible all day every day - could just see the mess of the 18 month old getting into it all!!
                          Mine are 0-3, and we do process art. But I don't leave my supplies out all day.

We have a time each day for art. When we do process art, I will typically put an array of mediums out and let the kids go to town at the table.

For instnance, I will lay out glue/glue sticks, salt, water colors and tissue paper. And they just go...

Comment

Originally posted by blandino View Post
                            Mine are 0-3, and we do process art. But I don't leave my supplies out all day.

We have a time each day for art. When we do process art, I will typically put an array of mediums out and let the kids go to town at the table.

For instnance, I will lay out glue/glue sticks, salt, water colors and tissue paper. And they just go...
                            This is exactly how I do it, too, with the same age group. I will switch up the supplies but generally just let them play with it and see what they come up with. I display everything in our room and send it home at the end of the month.

I buy in bulk and at back to school times when all the deals are on, as well. My group isn't really into glue yet so we have the same sticks and bottles since September. They love stickers, though, and the dollar store is great for those. I've gotten construction paper at Costco. Paint is my big expense, and everyone's favourite, but the kids love it so I don't mind. We are also big playdough fanatics but I make it myself.

Comment

Mine are all 2 and under, I don't leave supplies out all day. I would have a playroom covered in glue and collage pieces!

I like to switch out my supplies often and I don't offer them all at the same time, to keep interest, just like with toys. They get excited when I bring in a "new" supply. I found that when everything is available they lose interest quicker. Just my experience or it may be my young age group

I'm big on the $ store and I hit up after season sales also!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                                Just wanted to say say thank you for clarifying, and ask if you had suggestions for the former type of art. My kids get overwhelmed w too many options. So far in a months peuod we will do some structured (sorry product oriented) art free painting free coloring, stamps, and maybe sculpting w bakes le clay... Thoughts?

Process orientated art ideas don't have to be elaborate. Think about many ways to change up the experience for the kids.

Offer many different types of drawing/coloring media: crayons, large crayons, markers, scented markers, colored pencils, oil pastels, pens, chalk, etc.

Offer many types of surfaces to draw or paint on: newsprint, butcher block paper, tissue paper, cardboard, foil, wax paper, sidewalk, chalkboard, whiteboard, etc.

Offer different items to paint with: brushes of different sizes, rubber band brushes, leaves and pine tree pieces, those poofs you wash dishes with, sponges, string, hands, etc.

Put out a tray of found items (non-choking hazards if you have little ones), glue and brushes for collage making: milk bottle caps, large buttons, paper scraps, etc. For even younger ones use clear contact paper and let them stick things to it.

"Free" art for a child under two does not have to be elaborate. You don't have to lay out every possible choice if your kids aren't old enough or haven't worked up to that yet. Lay out a couple of trays with large crayons and blank paper. Lay out a tray with a paper, a small container of glue and a brush, and some different textures of paper for gluing. Set up the easel with 2 colors of paint. Put out play dough, some rollers, plastic cutters, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X