Free Art versus Processed Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Art versus Processed Art

I understand the free art versus processed art but on a daily basis? Was wondering how many of you allow free art on a daily basis and what are some things you do?

How do you afford it? I've gone through tons of glue sticks and down to my last few and wondering what kind to buy so they last longer. I but the elmers kind but they kids just plow through them.

Also, it costs for things like stickers-which is another thing my kids will plow through.

Coloring pages were discouraged by my kiddos enjoy them and I think there are lots of benefits to coloring pages. Learing colors, making it their own, small motor skills.

What happens when parents don't want to take these projects home on a daily basis. We have done free art and the parents are fine with possibly a project a week but not every day.

The projects that come with the curriculum we do I guess would be processed art but I have the kids make it their own, so even though its suppose to be "something" I have the kids do it how ever they want.

Just looking for suggestions of what are somethings you do and how you handle the costs!

Thanks ladies-
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

I source cheap stuff. Target $1 spot for seasonal stickers and when they're gone, they're gone. Also lots of other awesome art supplies.

Glue sticks from Costco, and one of these days I'll make a glue sponge (I have a gallon of white glue from Lakeshore or discount school supply.

Care with things like crayons and markers and stocking up at school supply time in the fall.

Display artwork at your house and send it home all at once every week or month or something. Don't send it home every day. take pictures, have the kids pick their "best" to take home, that sort of thing.

Lots of "non-permanent" art--like playdough, sidewalk chalk, drawing on our dry erase board (mounted on the wall).

For seasonal stuff I put out an array of stuff in a box--like for Valentines. So it was process because I gave them no instructions beyond, "Here! I thought we could make some Valentines!" and sorta themey product because of the limited stuff.
    Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
      I source cheap stuff. Target $1 spot for seasonal stickers and when they're gone, they're gone. Also lots of other awesome art supplies.

Glue sticks from Costco, and one of these days I'll make a glue sponge (I have a gallon of white glue from Lakeshore or discount school supply.

Care with things like crayons and markers and stocking up at school supply time in the fall.

Display artwork at your house and send it home all at once every week or month or something. Don't send it home every day. take pictures, have the kids pick their "best" to take home, that sort of thing.

Lots of "non-permanent" art--like playdough, sidewalk chalk, drawing on our dry erase board (mounted on the wall).

For seasonal stuff I put out an array of stuff in a box--like for Valentines. So it was process because I gave them no instructions beyond, "Here! I thought we could make some Valentines!" and sorta themey product because of the limited stuff.
      I use glue sponges (from Pinterest). Saves on glue plus licensing/QRIS can quit hitting providers up on the glue lids being choke hazards. We cut out pics from magazines, construction paper, crepe paper and place in a bin, then the kids can make free expression art anytime they want. Cupcake liners, wiki stix, are good, too. QRIS says we have to have two materials from each of the 4 types (drawing materials, paints, three-dimensional, tools). 85% of children's work has to be free expression so our art center has to be accessible daily.

Comment

I use the dollar store a lot. For stickers, pom-poms, sometimes paper, popsicle sticks, tissue paper, pipe cleaners, paper plates.

I stock up on glue sticks and glue, markers, and crayons during back to scool season. My mom is a teacher and so we go together to fill up our classroms and get more out of those sales that have those silly limits ( we usually take dch and my sister too).

My kids love free art. When I have a prepared craft no one is intrested.

Comment

I think I do a mixture.

I will give them the materials to paint, say a green shamrock. I will give them a ton of materials, and I would say thats process art. But the paper is cut into a shamrock, which I think is a "teacher oriented" art project.

We made gold medals last week, when learning about the olympics. I gave the kids 3/4 different materials to make the round pieces of foam board gold, and let them go to town. Then I punched a hole and put ribbon through it.

Maybe once a week, they just get a blank piece of paper, and whatever process art materials i choose, and get to go nuts on it and do whatever they want.

The rest of the time, I would call my art projects "contrived process art". A balance between the two.

Comment

I stock up for the year at at back to school time+ with coupons I get tons of stuff for free. Staples and other office supply stores I can get reams of paper and other supplies for free almost monthly. After every holiday I wait for 75-90% off and stock up on stickers, poms, Easter decorating kits, Valentines, Halloween, Christmas stuff etc

Comment

My art supplies are out and available at all times. I do not do any type of process art or cookie cutter crafts other than maybe one or two times a year.

I keep costs down by buying in bulk, buying on clearance and keeping a list posted of items we are always in need of.

I don't buy stickers and glue sticks. The kids make their own using magazines and other scrap paper.

The kids are free to use any of the supplies they wish to use.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaVaca View Post
                After every holiday I wait for 75-90% off and stock up on stickers, poms, Easter decorating kits, Valentines, Halloween, Christmas stuff etc
                I do this too. That way next year I have a nice stock of stuff for that holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  My art supplies are out and available at all times. I do not do any type of process art or cookie cutter crafts other than maybe one or two times a year.
                  Mine love cookie cutters---for painting! And playdough.
                  Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

:: ::

Hmmm, that is a good idea! I have tons so maybe I will toss a couple in the art supply bin!

Comment

I get bulk art supplies (and first aid supplies) at the $1 store (who are now online, ship to store!!!! www.dollartree.com ), oriental trading company, Betty mills, Joann's, and the various 'marts.

I do heirloom, seasonal, cookie cutter, product craft and free style art with the kids. I admit, crafting with the kids feels like "playing" and decorating the room with it keeps me inspired throughout the year. The kids don't seem to hate it.. (the "developmentally appropriate" stuff that comes in our boxed curriculum is another story )

I do not leave supplies out all the time, my playroom is not set up for it. Managing that would make the stress level too high for me, so I don't offer it.

Some projects are gifts for family, some are for the kids themselves, some are simply for parental bragging rights that their provider actually does something WITH the kids.

The popular Art Education trends change all the time, I do what works for my program long term. Give the clients what they want plus keep me inspired and engaged. ::::

Next up: Tissue Paper Tulips and Daffodils. Mrs. Cat Herder needs some Spring in this room!!!
                      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                        I get bulk art supplies at the $1 store (who are now online!!!! www.dollartree.com ), oriental trading company, Betty mills, Joann's, and the various 'marts.

I do heirloom, seasonal, cookie cutter, product craft and free style art with the kids. I admit, crafting with the kids feels like "playing" and decorating the room with it keeps me inspired throughout the year. The kids don't seem to hate it.. (the "developmentally appropriate" stuff that comes in our boxed curriculum is another story )

I do not leave supplies out all the time, my playroom is not set up for it. Managing that would make the stress level too high for me, so I don't offer it.

Some projects are gifts for family, some are for the kids themselves, some are simply for parental bragging rights that their provider actually does something WITH the kids.

The popular Art Education trends change all the time, I do what works for my program long term. Give the clients what they want plus keep me inspired and engaged. ::::

Next up: Tissue Paper Tulips and Daffodils. Mrs. Cat Herder needs some Spring in this room!!!
                        I'm almost identical to this. The kids have plenty of free art but also planned projects. They love both! The parents love the planned projects. We do a lot of mixed, such as a big card stock heart and do what ever you want, paint, stickers, glitter, etc. I do not make it available at all times. My playroom is also not set up for this and my kids are all 2 or under. We love all art and do it every day. Whether its play doh, paint, coloring or chalk

Comment

Also, we don't have any rules about art here

Comment

...and stencils here!

I buy cookie cutters ($1 bag at dollar tree) that are seasonal and place them in the playdoh, paint and marker bins. Never fails to get them into a project.

I put a few sheets of paper in their folders in the morning, and when they use it up, it's gone. It also goes back in the folder and they bring it home at the end of the week.

No idea about glue sticks. I buy them in bulk, and I honestly buy cheap. Sometimes 3/4 for $1 at the dollar store. ALWAYS buy crazy amounts at back to school time.

Mine use stickers for baby doll band aids ONLY at the moment. I buy them at the $1 store.

Lots of modeling clay, play doh, chalk, dry erase board, we made marbled paper for later use this week, that sort of thing. At least 1-2x a week I put out paint and paper without them asking for a free paint session.

I have been doing more sensory and less art lately, based on interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Kids View Post
                              I understand the free art versus processed art but on a daily basis? Was wondering how many of you allow free art on a daily basis and what are some things you do?

How do you afford it? I've gone through tons of glue sticks and down to my last few and wondering what kind to buy so they last longer. I but the elmers kind but they kids just plow through them.

Also, it costs for things like stickers-which is another thing my kids will plow through.

Coloring pages were discouraged by my kiddos enjoy them and I think there are lots of benefits to coloring pages. Learing colors, making it their own, small motor skills.

What happens when parents don't want to take these projects home on a daily basis. We have done free art and the parents are fine with possibly a project a week but not every day.

The projects that come with the curriculum we do I guess would be processed art but I have the kids make it their own, so even though its suppose to be "something" I have the kids do it how ever they want.

Just looking for suggestions of what are somethings you do and how you handle the costs!

Thanks ladies-
                              We don't do art every day. We do it when either I or the children show an interest or ask. Usually about 2 times a week on average. Sometimes we'll just be on a roll and do it for several days in a row and then not for a bit again...depends.

I don't use glue sticks. I put some cheap glue (dollar tree for 4 bottles) on a paper plate and give them a paint brush to apply it with.

I use coloring books and tear a page out for each. I don't apologize for using them as I loved them as a child. Cheaper than printing out coloring pages except for special things.

I limit what I put out for each session. They can do stickers but not whole package is out. Same with other supplies like construction paper.

We do all open ended art except for the coloring book pages and an occasional project for the holidays to take home.

Hope this isn't a double post as I was on my tablet and it didn't look like my post went through.

Laurel

Comment

Working...
                              X