Insane Request From New Parent, And Hard To Adjust 12 Mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MCC View Post
    This is week of the crazy parents here at my childcare.

I have a new 12 month old DCG. She started Monday, and has never been away from her mom, ever. I explained to DCM that it would be a couple of weeks before she is comfortable here, and DCM seemed to understand. They do have a 4.5 yo in preschool, who was in home daycare for 3 years, so DCM has some daycare exposure.

DCG has cried on and off from drop off to pick up the past 3 days, which is to be expected, she is eating some finger food, but not taking any milk from me, (she is still on bottles, she turns 1 next week) She DOES NOT want me to hold her, or feed her, she actually vomited earlier b/c I tried to get her to take a bottle, she got so upset that I was holding her, she puked. She is kicking, screaming, hitting, pinching etc when I pick her up, but when I put her on the ground she will play for a bit, and then cry, play, cry so on and so on. She has only napped on the playroom floor (she is literally passing out), but has screamed the entire nap time the past 3 days. I tried to rock her, but she does not want to be held.

Any advice on this? This will pass yes?

Also- DCM emailed this morning, asking if I would "dream feed" DCG. As in, shove the bottle in her mouth while she is sleeping in hopes that she will take it. Um....I don't even think this would be okay with licensing, much less me. This morning I just told her "I will do my best to get her to take a bottle, but I need to check with licensing about the "dream feeding". What do I say about this?

Tomorrow is a snow day which gets me a 5 days weekend....THANK YOU MOTHER NATURE, I need this!
    It will pass. I had a 12 month old like that a few months ago. She screamed all darn day for a month and a half, then it stopped. Incidentally, my son did the same thing at 12 mos, anytime I left the room. Separation anxiety. Just talk the child through it, tell them what you are doing, where you are going, that you will be back, etc. It will definitely pass.

Comment

There is no way I would put a bottle in her mouth while asleep.

I have had many separation anxiety periods with newbies, but I've never had anyone that was as aggressive as you are describing. I have had ones that scream all day long, but no one that has been upset to the point of vomiting. I would consider terming or at least give the parent a cut off date if things do not drastically improve. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
        Dream feeding? I thought I had heard it all...
        Glad I am not alone.

Comment

I dream fed my newborns, although I didn't know there was a term for it until now (breastfed), just to top them off before I went to sleep. Sometimes they would wake slightly when I picked them up, and others not. NEVER would do anything like that with a dck, with one that age, and for that reason.

I would also tell mom that you were working on it, and are giving it until X date to show improvement or you will have to let them go.

Comment

Working...
          X