Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
    I know. I'm so awful.

It isn't just daycare, my dh gets similar issues with his hvac/r/plumbing work. People want to negotiate rates, not pay the trip fee, negotiate parts (thinking that my dh gets them free or very cheap....) do it for NO labor rate, not pay today, etc. As my dh says "Peoples is peoples."
    Same with my hubs too....

Of course when you ask those same people for something, they want a fortune for their services!

I had a DCD once that was ALWAYS trying to negotiate rates and deals with me. He owned his own carpet business so he sometimes worked long hours....

When we were getting ready to put new carpeting in the daycare house, I asked him about services.

Of course, he was NOT willing to cut me a break in rates and actually went like this and said "Um, I do this for a living. It's how I pay my bills. I can't really afford to give discounts."

Touche` DCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Of course when you ask those same people for something, they want a fortune for their services!

I had a DCD once that was ALWAYS trying to negotiate rates and deals with me. He owned his own carpet business so he sometimes worked long hours....

When we were getting ready to put new carpeting in the daycare house, I asked him about services.

Of course, he was NOT willing to cut me a break in rates and actually went like this and said "Um, I do this for a living. It's how I pay my bills. I can't really afford to give discounts."

Touche` DCD.
      I hope you said it right back to him with the same expression when he asked YOU for a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Touche` DCD.
        ::

Comment

Ugh... No check. Did bring all the paperwork though. He asked if I'd rather have a check today or Friday when I can cash it. DCG was super tired and I knew he'd have to run back to the car and back again and she was all fussy so I said next time is fine and he said he would bring it Wednesday with her vaccine card. Soooo I guess we'll see what he pays on Wednesday, just the week or the week plus deposit or what. This is what I HATE about this business.

What kind of nicely worded email can I compose to address this payment issue? I would like to ask what DCMs pay schedule is so I can anticipate payment for the future and we can work on getting to a pre-payment schedule for DCG's care.

"Dear DCD & DCM-

I just wanted to clarify our future pay schedule regarding DCG's care. I understand your nanny left you in a bind and this sudden change in care wasn't anticipated so I'm willing to work with you to establish a payment schedule that coincides with DCM's pay day so that we can maintain a pre-payment cycle per our contract.

Deposit to hold spot in care $ due ASAP
          Week of 1/27 - $, to be paid Friday.

Month of Feb due by Mon 3rd, first biweekly payment of $
          Second bi-weekly payment due by Feb 17th $

Please let me know how we can work together to accomplish this.

Thanks,
          Signed provider"

Is this too nice? Too accommodating? I sent dad home with this info on a post-it note but want it in email/text format just to cover myself. I don't want to start being too wordy or complicate things but I thought about offering to break up their deposit into 3 payments? Or accept 2wks now and then 3wks on her next payday and 2wks on the next payday.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinKristi View Post
            Ugh... New DCG started today. Dad says he'll have a check for me today for this week but if I can hold it til Friday that would be great. Well Monday their next payment is due for Feb but they want to get on a payment cycle that coordinates with DCMs pay schedule because he gets paid monthly and his wife bi-weekly and her check is what's always paid their nanny who up and left them with 4 days to find a new provider. So if I understood correctly, she doesn't get paid until the 7th. I'm just like I want this to work out because I've been trying to fill this spot since Sept and it seems perfect otherwise. I sent my contract over before their interviews (Wed & Thurs), I sent them an email on Saturday going over their fees since we're at the end of a month. They owe for this week today plus their deposit. I would work with them on the deposit but pushing everything out?? Ugh I don't know what to do! I don't want this to start off on the wrong foot thinking they can pay whenever or whatever they want. They also lost the paperwork I gave them Thurs when they signed on so I gave DCD another copy of them. So no paperwork, no money... FRACK!!!
            I would tell him you cannot hold checks. At. All. Ever. I get his nanny put him in a bind, but it's not YOUR fault. YOU have to make sure d YOU get paid.

Comment

I interviewed young couple today. I like them and the kid. They asked me how payments work. I explained prepay, monthly, cash, etc.

They start tomorrow. I will accept the DCB into care until Thursday evening without payment. They will pay me for the amount due for 4 days this week and half of February on Thursday. I’ll will split their payments for them.

They communicated what they could do in advance. I had the option to accept or decline. Now if during the interview everything was agreed to & then they on the 31st they wanted to pass me half payment instead of full payment. I would’ve said, “No.”

If their payment method (different from what was agreed upon) was dropped on me last minute, I’d deny care & terminate.

Comment

His statement about 'not making the first day about money' would really bother me. You provide a service and you deserve to be paid. It is not all about money but it's also your livelihood.

I had one parent tell me a similar statement (I guess you are all about money), right after bouncing a check and then avoiding me to make the payment to cover that check. It infuriated me! It IS about the money! I support my family by working and I deserve to be paid. I provide a service for a fee, not for free. I used to work in the sales industry making lots of money, so I can assure you that I dont do daycare just for the money but I wouldn't do it for free. It just really bugs me that some parents act as if pay in their provider is optional or that we should be grateful that they pay on time, kwim?

Alright, let me get off my rant and back to yours! I think you need to explain to the family that this needs to be straightened out before it gets any further. You can empathize about their situation, but set up a concrete paent plan to bring them up to prepay like everyone else. Any late payment or deviation from the agreement can lead up to immediate termination. They had time to come to you to talk about a payment arrangement and chose not to. Then they lost their paperwork. That's already one (if not two) major strikes in my book and theyve only been with you for a week. Its time for you to get back in control & dictate how it's going to be.

Comment

Well two clarifications... It was MY dh who said I shouldn't make their first day here "all about money"... the DCD didn't say that. And today is their first day so if hasn't been a week.

It all happened so fast that I didn't think I had time to really get everything under wraps. I sent DCD my contract via email on Wed before his visit. Sent them home with a copy Thurs when they said they wanted to enroll and I wrote them an email on Saturday, no reply. It clearly states in my contract that I operate with prepayment, I have a 2wk deposit, no care provided when fees haven't been paid.
                  I hate feeling this way, I don't want to be problematic from the get go but I would feel much better if this was sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinKristi View Post
                    Well two clarifications... It was MY dh who said I shouldn't make their first day here "all about money"... the DCD didn't say that. And today is their first day so if hasn't been a week.

It all happened so fast that I didn't think I had time to really get everything under wraps. I sent DCD my contract via email on Wed before his visit. Sent them home with a copy Thurs when they said they wanted to enroll and I wrote them an email on Saturday, no reply. It clearly states in my contract that I operate with prepayment, I have a 2wk deposit, no care provided when fees haven't been paid.
                    I hate feeling this way, I don't want to be problematic from the get go but I would feel much better if this was sorted out.
                    I like your letter but I would not state re nanny issue. If you take knowledge that you are changing the payment plan because of their probla you are welcoming this again in the future.

I would state something like. I understand starting up daycare is expensive so I will be willing to work with you starting out. However please understand we wil need to come to a full Payment plan agreement by the time your trial period ends.
                    Please let me know if the following schedule works for you.

Comment

What I can't figure out in this situation is don't these people have any other resources to meet their obligation? Pull money from savings? A line of credit? Use a credit card - or cash advance it if necessary? Borrow from a friend or family member? Why would they make it your responsibility to get them through their short term cash flow problem?

Sorry, I know that's not helpful, but it just honks me off when people pull stuff like this.

Hope you guys can get it worked out and they turn into a golden family

Comment

Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
                        What I can't figure out in this situation is don't these people have any other resources to meet their obligation? Pull money from savings? A line of credit? Use a credit card - or cash advance it if necessary? Borrow from a friend or family member? Why would they make it your responsibility to get them through their short term cash flow problem?

Sorry, I know that's not helpful, but it just honks me off when people pull stuff like this.

That has always bugged me too. Honks? me off :::: Too funny. Gotta use that one!

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by MyAngels View Post

Because it is always suppose to be the nice caring, understanding daycare provider who will take the hit.

Because we love the kids so much that we would do this for free so that just basically says we are THE person ALL negotiating should happen with.

Comment

Working...
                          X