Not Starting Off On The Right Foot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Starting Off On The Right Foot...

Ugh... New DCG started today. Dad says he'll have a check for me today for this week but if I can hold it til Friday that would be great. Well Monday their next payment is due for Feb but they want to get on a payment cycle that coordinates with DCMs pay schedule because he gets paid monthly and his wife bi-weekly and her check is what's always paid their nanny who up and left them with 4 days to find a new provider. So if I understood correctly, she doesn't get paid until the 7th. I'm just like I want this to work out because I've been trying to fill this spot since Sept and it seems perfect otherwise. I sent my contract over before their interviews (Wed & Thurs), I sent them an email on Saturday going over their fees since we're at the end of a month. They owe for this week today plus their deposit. I would work with them on the deposit but pushing everything out?? Ugh I don't know what to do! I don't want this to start off on the wrong foot thinking they can pay whenever or whatever they want. They also lost the paperwork I gave them Thurs when they signed on so I gave DCD another copy of them. So no paperwork, no money... FRACK!!!

Ugh - that would make me really uneasy! I don't know any place that would allow a child to start without upfront payment.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinKristi View Post
      Ugh... New DCG started today. Dad says he'll have a check for me today for this week but if I can hold it til Friday that would be great. Well Monday their next payment is due for Feb but they want to get on a payment cycle that coordinates with DCMs pay schedule because he gets paid monthly and his wife bi-weekly and her check is what's always paid their nanny who up and left them with 4 days to find a new provider. So if I understood correctly, she doesn't get paid until the 7th. I'm just like I want this to work out because I've been trying to fill this spot since Sept and it seems perfect otherwise. I sent my contract over before their interviews (Wed & Thurs), I sent them an email on Saturday going over their fees since we're at the end of a month. They owe for this week today plus their deposit. I would work with them on the deposit but pushing everything out?? Ugh I don't know what to do! I don't want this to start off on the wrong foot thinking they can pay whenever or whatever they want. They also lost the paperwork I gave them Thurs when they signed on so I gave DCD another copy of them. So no paperwork, no money... FRACK!!!
      I'd be a bit uneasy about providing care without payment so I can't advise about that but when ever I have new families starting I do give them 3 weeks to figure out their payment plan.

I will allow them to pay on a wonky schedule until they can align their paydays with however they are going to pay me.....weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, whatever.

But once we have a payment plan in place I don't allow them to waiver from it.

If a family absolutely has to pay AFTER care (which would be very rare) I have a separate contract I have them fill out stating when they will have their ducks in a row and when I can expect the payment plan to be in place.

I also charge a bit more for POST paid child care verses what I charge for PREPAID care. My regular rate would be approx. $140 a week but if they want to pay that first week AFTER services, it would be $150.

It also has to be a situation in which I feel I can trust the family. If there are other red flags, I would probably walk away but since you are really wanting this to work...I can see trying to work with them to get through this.

Whatever you do decide to do, just make sure you are covering you butt and not taking a loss in anyway. (Every favor you do for a DCK could result in something lost on your end )

As for the additional paperwork that they lost, why can't they re-print it from the e-mail you sent to them originally?

I refuse to make copies of paperwork I already supplied to a parent. When they lose it, it makes me feel like the paperwork wasn't important to them..kwim?

Comment

In this situation I would very sympathetically yet firmly say...

"I know that your nanny received payment based on your payment cycles and that by suddenly quitting she left you in a bind however, as you read in my policies that I sent over to you and in my contract that we went over, payment for me does not work like that. I am more than willing to work with you on paying the deposit in installments however fees for daycare must be paid when due.

Please understand that my payment structure is the way it is for my protection as I want to avoid payment conflicts. If you prefer to pay bi-weekly or monthly what I recommend is to pay weekly for now and when you can pay two weeks or 1 month, whichever you prefer, in advance then you can do that and continue to do that so that you can go back to paying bi-weekly/monthly. I just really can't have you behind in payments however"

If they want to pay every 2 weeks or every month, fine. But have them pay it in advance ... not get behind. Let's see what they say when the financial burden is transferred from you to them.

Comment

Originally posted by MV View Post
          In this situation I would very sympathetically yet firmly say...

"I know that your nanny received payment based on your payment cycles and that by suddenly quitting she left you in a bind however, as you read in my policies that I sent over to you and in my contract that we went over, payment for me does not work like that. I am more than willing to work with you on paying the deposit in installments however fees for daycare must be paid when due.

Please understand that my payment structure is the way it is for my protection as I want to avoid payment conflicts. If you prefer to pay bi-weekly or monthly what I recommend is to pay weekly for now and when you can pay two weeks or 1 month, whichever you prefer, in advance then you can do that and continue to do that so that you can go back to paying bi-weekly/monthly. I just really can't have you behind in payments however"

If they want to pay every 2 weeks or every month, fine. But have them pay it in advance ... not get behind. Let's see what they say when the financial burden is transferred from you to them.

You need to take control. They had a nanny so likely they think they are the "boss" and are going to tell you how you will get paid. Nip it in the bud today because it will escalate.

Comment

When I had a family start that didn't have the resources to pay me ahead at first, we set up a payment plan. Basically, her first check came two weeks after the kids started with me. Her first payment to me was for the upcoming week, plus a portion of what she owed me from the first two. She caught up that way and now pays ahead like everyone else

It worked out really well for us
            Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

I have done payment plans and had it work out fine. I did take a deposit (I believe it was $50), and then they paid the next payday on time, plus $20, towards the additional $125 they owed. I still have that family. Their daycare closed mid month, they had paid for the month and dcm and dcd both were paid biweekly. It happened to be on a non payday week that they were left high and dry needing daycare.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                I have done payment plans and had it work out fine. I did take a deposit (I believe it was $50), and then they paid the next payday on time, plus $20, towards the additional $125 they owed. I still have that family. Their daycare closed mid month, they had paid for the month and dcm and dcd both were paid biweekly. It happened to be on a non payday week that they were left high and dry needing daycare.
                I'd be willing to work with a family that ASKED, but I get the impression that they are trying to dictate payment. This is a family that had a nanny. A nanny who bailed with little notice...Me thinks there might be a reason for that

Comment

Even as easy going and laid back as I am - NO PAPERWORK, NO CARE! That's the day that you're going to get an unannounced inspection. It's not worth the fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                    I'd be willing to work with a family that ASKED, but I get the impression that they are trying to dictate payment. This is a family that had a nanny. A nanny who bailed with little notice...Me thinks there might be a reason for that
                    very true!

Comment

I have no problem helping families and having some parents pay after care is given if I trust them. But they have to ask not tell. This job can be really frustrating! Especially before gaining the confidence to step up for yourself! I'm slowly getting better.

Comment

I appreciate all the responses. Whoever mentioned the nanny leaving with 4 days notice raised a red flag to me as well, she'd been with them over a year so it's just a little odd but who knows...

I like BC's idea of giving them 3wks to sort the payment schedule out because I don't think they're trying to stiff me, but I think they're probably used to running the show and this is all new to them. She's a great baby! She hasn't cried once, she's eating great at meal times despite dad saying she like to graze all day, she's playing very well and very happy! I would hate for payment issues to ruin what could be a great situation for us all. Dh mentioned that their first day shouldn't be "all about money" and I agree but at the same time I want them to know that this needs to be sorted out. I don't want another week to go by and nothing is said. I also understand that they've been used to paying a certain way and I can promise you they've paid their nanny way more than they're paying me so I don't think it's going to be an issue in the long run. I want this to work and don't want to seem money hungry. I will see what he brings today and go from there.

Comment

If you're willing to work it out, type up a pay schedule and have them sign it, include when they are going to pay to get back on track, etc. Put something in there about failing to make the payments, including additional charges that are in arrears may be grounds for immediate termination. blah blah.

Dcd needs to realize, this is a business, and businesses ARE all about money.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post

Dcd needs to realize, this is a business, and businesses ARE all about money.
                            what??????

*gulp* you mean you don't watch kids because you just love them to pieces and it was your life's calling?????? You actually charge people???

:: ::

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              what??????

*gulp* you mean you don't watch kids because you just love them to pieces and it was your life's calling?????? You actually charge people???

:: ::
                              I know. I'm so awful.

It isn't just daycare, my dh gets similar issues with his hvac/r/plumbing work. People want to negotiate rates, not pay the trip fee, negotiate parts (thinking that my dh gets them free or very cheap....) do it for NO labor rate, not pay today, etc. As my dh says "Peoples is peoples."

Comment

Working...
                              X