Infants Sleeping In Car Seat Carriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infants Sleeping In Car Seat Carriers

I saw the recent post about NYS daycare changes. I saw one that said infants can not sleep in carriers because of risk of aphixiation. I believe it and it makes since to me but does anyone know of any credible research through the government done on this? I ask because my SIL has a 7 week old and they don't put him down ever so he wont sleep in his crib so she admitted she rocked him in the carrier til he fell asleep then put the carrier in his crib. I told her how dangerous this was supposed to be but she didn't seem to believe me. I'd like to send her an article on proof.

Just google the subject......1,000's of articles will pop up about the danger of this habit.

Livestrong.com offers diet, nutrition and fitness tips for a healthier lifestyle. Achieve your health goals with Livestrong.com's practical food and fitness tools, expert resources and an engaged community.

Comment

The forum has several threads on this subject as well.

Search for the best information on daycare, and childcare for your children

Comment

Uh, oh, let's hope another war doesn't start out.

Comment

You said she rocked him in the carrier then put him in bed. There is no problem with that. That would mean it is unsafe for a child to be in a car seat in the car or fall asleep in the car. sorry I just went back you said placed the carrier in the bed... she has got to take him out and lay him in the bed.

Now if the child took naps in it and is not moved it also causes the flat spots. so it is not about just napping it is sitting in them when not in the car.
          It:: will wait

Comment

Thank you for the links. I tried to google but only found forum info and not actual studies. I'll look those over and hopefully find one I can forward to her!

Comment

Here is a printable brochure that talks about safe sleep habits. On page 5 it specifically says not to use a carrier or car seat as a sleeping surface

You entered an invalid URL or are trying to access a web page that no longer exists on the NICHD website. Please check the URL. You may want to use the “back” button for your browser to return to the previous page. You can also visit the Search page to find the information you are seeking, or visit the NICHD homepage.

I'm sure somewhere on this site, they mention positional asphyxia.

Maybe you could contact them and they could point you in the right direction to find a reputable study.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                Here is a printable brochure that talks about safe sleep habits. On page 5 it specifically says not to use a carrier or car seat as a sleeping surface

You entered an invalid URL or are trying to access a web page that no longer exists on the NICHD website. Please check the URL. You may want to use the “back” button for your browser to return to the previous page. You can also visit the Search page to find the information you are seeking, or visit the NICHD homepage.

I'm sure somewhere on this site, they mention positional asphyxia.

Maybe you could contact them and they could point you in the right direction to find a reputable study.
                Wonderful! Thank you! I already sent some of the other articles you posted.

Comment

You can also have them read the stories from grieving families at www.firstcandle.org , sadly there are new stories every day of parents who thought it could not happen to them.
                  - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                    You can also have them read the stories from grieving families at www.firstcandle.org , sadly there are new stories every day of parents who thought it could not happen to them.
                    OMG, how sad
                    I'm sure it will make a good resource though, thank you.

Comment

Ok it scared me a little bit. We are planning to go out of state to go see my parents this weekend for Christmas. We will be driving 11 to 13 hours a night. Will be he fine for sleeping in his car seat all night while I or my husband drives? He is 5 months old.

Comment

Originally posted by safechner View Post
                        Ok it scared me a little bit. We are planning to go out of state to go see my parents this weekend for Christmas. We will be driving 11 to 13 hours a night. Will be he fine for sleeping in his car seat all night while I or my husband drives? He is 5 months old.
                        Some of the articles I have read said that you should stop every 1 to 2 hours and wake the baby up for a bit and then you can resume on your way. Sounds like it would be a pain but I would plan on the occational stops.

There seem to be two issues. The first issue is that studies show babies sleeping in a car seat vs flat surface have a 20 - 40% lower oxygen intake. The second issue is that the babies head could fall forward and since they can not pick it up on their own at a young age it could cause asphyxiation.

Comment

Originally posted by safechner View Post
                          They recommend either stopping to check or having another adult check to make sure all is well.

If your DH is driving, you can easily sneak a peek to make sure he isn't facing downward too far or if he has blankets in his face that could obstruct breathing.

I wouldn't worry too much if you are stopping to feed and/or change along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Beginnings View Post
                            Some of the articles I have read said that you should stop every 1 to 2 hours and wake the baby up for a bit and then you can resume on your way. Sounds like it would be a pain but I would plan on the occational stops.

There seem to be two issues. The first issue is that studies show babies sleeping in a car seat vs flat surface have a 20 - 40% lower oxygen intake. The second issue is that the babies head could fall forward and since they can not pick it up on their own at a young age it could cause asphyxiation.

Thank you! I will talk to my husband that we need to drive during the day time so it will help me not to get worried too much. I guess that is only way to do that. Normally we dont stop a lot at night time expect gas and restroom. My daughters will keep him busy to play some toys while we drive.

Again thank you, Great Beginnings!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              They recommend either stopping to check or having another adult check to make sure all is well.

If your DH is driving, you can easily sneak a peek to make sure he isn't facing downward too far or if he has blankets in his face that could obstruct breathing.

I wouldn't worry too much if you are stopping to feed and/or change along the way.

Thank you, Blackcat!

Comment

Working...
                              X